Sony A8 (AH8) OLED TV Owners & Discussion Thread

You done a soft restart?
IF you mean a long press green POWER button on the remote !! YES!!
That was the only way i could figure to get the tv going again.

I posted a question asking owners how it handles football, mainly motion, also heard it's not the brightest display, so far no replies, can you please answer these 2 questions before i buy the A8, thanks
I have been watching sport on my A8 and used the now tv one month free pass offer on buying the TV I have been really pleased with the picture handles motion really well. As my TV has less than 100 hours viewing have used the cinema default of the box picture setting and I think it looks great. Once I have the 100hours up I try the settings on page 2

IF you mean a long press green POWER button on the remote !! YES!!
That was the only way i could figure to get the tv going again.

Yes that’s what they call a soft restart.
My A8 done it once and I had to do switch it off for 10 mins to let it reboot and it’s never done it since.

I an doing a rescan of the sats and will now switch to cable and see if it happens again while still scanning sats like it did yesterday.

I an doing a rescan of the sats and will now switch to cable and see if it happens again while still scanning sats like it did yesterday.
Additional info, now i lost all of my sat channels and have to start over, but NO blackscreen problem this time.

So I guess the consensus is don't do the update?

I have all the auto updates turned off, The TV was constantly turning on my receiver when in standby. I read it may be due to it searching for updates in it's "sleep" it did seem to fix the issue if that advice helps anyone!

So I would have to go through the menus to set it off....looks like I'll avoid it for now though!

I have been watching sport on my A8 and used the now tv one month free pass offer on buying the TV I have been really pleased with the picture handles motion really well. As my TV has less than 100 hours viewing have used the cinema default of the box picture setting and I think it looks great. Once I have the 100hours up I try the settings on page 2
Hi, thanks for your input, the only other concern is people saying its better viewed in a darkened room

Hi, thanks for your input, the only other concern is people saying its better viewed in a darkened room
Dont worry about the briteness, mine gained about 15 to 20% in briteness after 135 hours. Most give best picture after 200 plus hours.
If youre gaming heavily id go for the CX but they have a lot of problems right now, thats the reason I switched to the SONY 55A8.

Dont worry about the briteness, mine gained about 15 to 20% in briteness after 135 hours. Most give best picture after 200 plus hours.
If youre gaming heavily id go for the CX but they have a lot of problems right now, thats the reason I switched to the SONY 55A8.
Thanks, I am not into gaming, was just worried about the brightness having a Samsung Q90R, which is quite a bright display

Thanks, I am not into gaming, was just worried about the brightness having a Samsung Q90R, which is quite a bright display
Well I understand the concern , sorry but I cant decide for you, that you have to do, but depending who you buy fromcheck to see if you have a reasonable return period Where I bought here in The Netherlands they give 4 Weeks to be able to exchange without penalty, and that I used to get the A8 after the CX problems.

Well I understand the concern , sorry but I cant decide for you, that you have to do, but depending who you buy fromcheck to see if you have a reasonable return period Where I bought here in The Netherlands they give 4 Weeks to be able to exchange without penalty, and that I used to get the A8 after the CX problems.
I understand and thanks for the advice about returns

I posted a question asking owners how it handles football, mainly motion, also heard it's not the brightest display, so far no replies, can you please answer these 2 questions before i buy the A8, thanks
Football is great when you get the settings right. I have no issue with the brightness

I have a 65A8 in a very bright living room this is during the day and only a 1080p programme this is just brightness at 20.
I also was worried having a 75XE9405 upstairs which is extremely bright but I have zero issues with the A8 during the day on any source but they do definitely get brighter with a few hours on them.

Attachments

• 79B150C6-EB41-4E2D-9F13-594EB204786F.jpeg
    79B150C6-EB41-4E2D-9F13-594EB204786F.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 19053F60-CD90-42D1-A2DD-C0B837F77A47.jpeg
    19053F60-CD90-42D1-A2DD-C0B837F77A47.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 106
  • F63E427B-B931-4440-B0BA-4EC29792E88E.jpeg
    F63E427B-B931-4440-B0BA-4EC29792E88E.jpeg
    281.2 KB · Views: 134
I have a 65A8 in a very bright living room this is during the day and only a 1080p programme this is just brightness at 20.
I also was worried having a 75XE9405 upstairs which is extremely bright but I have zero issues with the A8 during the day on any source but they do definitely get brighter with a few hours on them.
Thanks everyone for their comments, think ill bite the bullet and buy the A8 and report back about what I think about it

Hi all

Just got my A8H55 and have the Sky Q box connected to the my soundbar (Sony HT-ST5000) and then the soundbar connected to the A8 into HDMI 3. Everything seems great.

Is there any benefit in connecting Sky Q direct to the TV hdmi1 and then TV to soundbar via hdmi3? Every time I have done this with previous TVs I get negative audio sync issues (eg. picture is ahead of audio) so audio delay settings don't help.

Whilst I am very happy with everything at the moment just want to know if connecting Sky Q direct to the TV would give me any extra benefits?

Thanks Brett

Thanks everyone for their comments, think ill bite the bullet and buy the A8 and report back about what I think about it
I came from a Panasonic DX902, which I believe was pretty bright even for an LCD, and I haven't missed the extra nits in the slightest. I'm sure you will be fine.

I made a similar move from a super bright Q9FN to an LG C9. I know the C9 is a bit brighter than the CX and I believe also brighter than the A8. It takes a bit of time to get used to the highlights not being as bright on an Oled (especially when viewing in a bright room) but you gain on the blacks being true blacks. The reason it takes a bit of time to get used to it is that, if it's your first Oled (it was mine), you've had a whole lifetime of your brain being used to blacks only being dark shades of grey. Overall, the Oled offers a much more satisfying picture: I'm sure you can work out which one is the Q9FN and which one is the C9...

Attachments

• fba72cb6-4c69-48f6-8d0c-3a48eadd5ca3.JPG
    fba72cb6-4c69-48f6-8d0c-3a48eadd5ca3.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 114
Same issue for me after the most recent update, I use quick settings a lot to quickly switch between Dolby Vision Bright/Dark. Does not seem to be a way to disable this pointless warning message, so frustrating and completely unnecessary. How can I be increasing power consumption when I am turning the brightness down?
Well, I sent a message to Sony about this and I got back a long message with about a thousand options on it - involving removing all external connections and doing a restart. If I were to carry out all those instructions, I'd be up all night.
Obviously, it's a standard glitch message in which Sony tries to cover everything.
But this thing doesn't look like a glitch - the instructions are so clear when you try to change the picture mode and brightness. It's like an ECO thing and I think we may be stuck with it.

So I guess the consensus is don't do the update?

I have all the auto updates turned off, The TV was constantly turning on my receiver when in standby. I read it may be due to it searching for updates in it's "sleep" it did seem to fix the issue if that advice helps anyone!

So I would have to go through the menus to set it off....looks like I'll avoid it for now though!
Did you turn off the updating of the apps too?? If so Where or how did you do that, I cant find a way. I did turn off firmware updating.

My mate has the Q90R and it's much brighter than my A8 but when you see an absolute black screen, the contrast difference is addictive.
I thought my old plasma TV went black but in comparison they really don't!

My mate has the Q90R and it's much brighter than my A8 but when you see an absolute black screen, the contrast difference is addictive.
I thought my old plasma TV went black but in comparison they really don't!
Overall having watched your mates Q90R would you swap TVs ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom