Sony A8 (AH8) OLED TV Owners & Discussion Thread

PLAYING FILES VIA USB (MY EXPERIENCE)...

I can't say for sure as I only had my friend's XH90 to test, but if the media player on the A8 does not offer the ability to advance/delay subs or change their colour/size/placement..., then it's a poor show by Sony. It's a cheap facility which I've had on previous/current TVs (even a 2016 Hisense 4k, Samsung Q9FN & now LG's C9) and I can't think why Sony would omit it.
Playing my collection of films via USB has generally been great with a few caveats as each TV/manufacturer offers different facilities and very often it's almost impossible to find out which through their products' overview:
.the Hisense could play all subtitles (PGS, VobSub, SRT...)
.The Q9FN did not play PGS and also would not play any DTS sound.
.The C9 plays DTS but will not play PGS/VobSub subtitles, only SRT: I believe that the Sony A8 is the same.

Where does that leave you if you need to adjust your Subs or you have sound sync issues?
For years I've been using MkvToolNix
It's free, easy and it does everything you could ever want if you need to adjust the sound or the subs, remove unnecessary soundtracks/subs...
If I have any subtitles missing, on Subscene I have found 99%+ of all the ones I have ever looked for.

(I'm not sure if we are allowed to post TP's link: if not, please let me know and I'll remove it).

I would like to know how many hours my tv has been on.
Itried all the settings found on the net but none worked can someone please help
I know i need to do the right combo to get the serv menu to see the hours, but cant get it to work am i missing something i have to do first?

Thx

I would like to know how many hours my tv has been on.
Itried all the settings found on the net but none worked can someone please help
I know i need to do the right combo to get the serv menu to see the hours, but cant get it to work am i missing something i have to do first?

Thx
  1. Switch off your television if it’s already ON.
  2. Click the following sequence of Button with less than 2 seconds: “display then 5 then Minus Volume then Power“:
Worked for my set

1. Switch off your television if it’s already ON.
  2. Click the following sequence of Button with less than 2 seconds: “display then 5 then Minus Volume then Power“:
Worked for my set

It worked for me too, the kicker was the WITHIN 2 SECONDS I just took to long everytime :rotfl::clap:

THX mate

Device up time or hours been on.

goto settings
device preferences
About
status
now all the way on the bottom you can read the amount of time the tv was ON!

Up time
xxx hours

So no need to go into service menu.

I had to do a factory reset yesterday (the TV has stopped seeing my HDMI sources, even though they all work fine - I've raised a ticket with Sony) but since the reset BBC iPlayer just won't open - sticks on "loading" every time.

I've tried a soft reset but didn't work and there's no "app" to reset as it comes built in. Anyone had this problem?
Update - Sorted. It appears that you MUST enable YouView when you set up the TV or catch up services won't work. I disabled YouView in the setup process after the factory reset as I don't have an aerial attached (using Sky Q). Adding it back sorted the problem - all I need now is for Sony to sort out the iPlayer/UHD problem!

Disney+ via the internal app is 5.1 only. Use an external device (I use ATV, no experience with other devices but I think it's the same principle) to feed your AVR and from there to the tv and you get Atmos.

No idea why the internal app doesn't have Atmos.

Also no experience of internal Netflix app for Atmos (does Netflix do Atmos?), I don't even have 4K Netflix :( . Standard HD looks pretty good mind.
Netflix does Atmos in the internal app where applicable (as does Apple TV+). Disney+ internal app not doing Atmos is annoying as the same app on LG sets does it. Presumably this will be added in an app update.

PLAYING FILES VIA USB (MY EXPERIENCE)...

I can't say for sure as I only had my friend's XH90 to test, but if the media player on the A8 does not offer the ability to advance/delay subs or change their colour/size/placement..., then it's a poor show by Sony. It's a cheap facility which I've had on previous/current TVs (even a 2016 Hisense 4k, Samsung Q9FN & now LG's C9) and I can't think why Sony would omit it.
Playing my collection of films via USB has generally been great with a few caveats as each TV/manufacturer offers different facilities and very often it's almost impossible to find out which through their products' overview:
.the Hisense could play all subtitles (PGS, VobSub, SRT...)
.The Q9FN did not play PGS and also would not play any DTS sound.
.The C9 plays DTS but will not play PGS/VobSub subtitles, only SRT: I believe that the Sony A8 is the same.

Where does that leave you if you need to adjust your Subs or you have sound sync issues?
For years I've been using MkvToolNix
It's free, easy and it does everything you could ever want if you need to adjust the sound or the subs, remove unnecessary soundtracks/subs...
If I have any subtitles missing, on Subscene I have found 99%+ of all the ones I have ever looked for.

(I'm not sure if we are allowed to post TP's link: if not, please let me know and I'll remove it).
Thanks for the response.

My subs are all .srt and they can all be loaded but not synchronised in the TV Media Player app, nor any other. VLC offers the option but doesn't work, it shuts down, Kodi's doesn't work with.
I just can't believe Sony ommited that, 100€ TVs can sync titles.
Or can't believe how stupid I am not being able to work it out.

Can anyone try subtitle sync on their A8 and get back with some feedback?

Hi, has anyone connected a Wii to the composite input? I can't get a picture, it is totally distorted so just want to check it others have used the composite input.

Hi All,

Question is it possible to have both cable TV channels and Satellite TV channels programmed into the A8??

Ihave the TV setup and only have Cable TV channels, would like to add Satellite TV channels but keep getting FEATURE NOT AVAILABLE.
Is there a way to tune the satellite channels without resetting the TV from scratch??

HI all,

I've finally bought the A8 too and it's expected to be delivered tomorrow.

Any suggestion for a newbie on OLED and Sony TV?

Device up time or hours been on.

goto settings
device preferences
About
status
now all the way on the bottom you can read the amount of time the tv was ON!

Up time
xxx hours

So no need to go into service menu.

Additional info: If you reboot the tv with the long press off button on the remote, the counter goes back to ZERO (0) hours. (Also I assume that when the reset /off button on the side of the tv is pressed long).
So in essence this is a between reset counter. Could be construed as an IN BETWEEN counter of the UP TIME.
So if you want TOTAL UP TIME (from new till now) of your tv, you still have to use the service menu to get an accurate total time count.

Hi All,

Question is it possible to have both cable TV channels and Satellite TV channels programmed into the A8??

Ihave the TV setup and only have Cable TV channels, would like to add Satellite TV channels but keep getting FEATURE NOT AVAILABLE.
Is there a way to tune the satellite channels without resetting the TV from scratch??

I know it is possible as I did that on initial setup..but no idea if you can do it after you have it all setup.

HI all,

I've finally bought the A8 too and it's expected to be delivered tomorrow.

Any suggestion for a newbie on OLED and Sony TV?
Just got mine last Saturday initial setup is easy make sure your outputs at set to enhanced output and you update firmware

So I have managed to get the additional custom modes via Calman for Bravia downloaded onto the set has any one managed to get the adv colour temp (20p) setup with correct settings was going to use Custom Pro 2 setting for DV

Being new to this TV I am not certain any gains can be made unless you are going to have the set professionally calibrated using the 20point. Still the Custom pro 1 and 2 maybe useful for say daytime viewing and nighttime viewing

Link

Last edited:
The feature that i wanted badly for security at night was, when tv is turned off, that the INTERNET connection is turned off also. This is what i had on my E8 and wanted it on the Sony A8 too.
Well the good news is YES the Sony is capable of the same, but does it in a different way, it waits aprox. 15 to 20 minutes after TV shutoff to disconnect the internet connection.

I just went into Settings/Network & Internet/Remote start, then turn switch off (greyed out, white circle to the left).

Can someone check this out to be sure it works?

If you are getting Atmos from the tv app your probably the only person on here who is.

There appears to be a workaround via Kodi. Google it.
Does Atmos work with Kodi on this TV?

Good Morning All,

I should have my 65" A8 on Monday. Currently using a Samsung Q70R in my living room and the A8 will be going in my small movie room in my attic.

Apart from looking at the settings on page 2 of this thread, what should I look out for? Any common issue with these sets? Anything I should make sure I do when setting it up given its my first OLED (settings that help reduce burn in etc, I'm not to worried about it as I watch a lot of varied content mostly 4k Blu Ray, streaming services and Youtube but I suppose you can never be to sure)

My currently tv in that room is running off a fire stick 4k, as the built in LG "smart" services haven't been updated/supported for a couple of years now and are horrendously slow. Should I be using the fire stick with the new set or rely on the built in apps? Currently no Atmos in the room but it is something that would be added in the near future. So ideally would have it running in an environment that allows that in the future.

Sorry its bit long winded but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom