Sony A8 (AH8) OLED Owners & Discussion Thread

dazzasky

The interface a much nicer than it was before, the big bonus with the update is that Disney now supports Dolby Atmos.

cooknl

Is it a firmware update if so whats the version number?

anotheruser

Finally got myself sorted with one from John Lewis.
My first OLED. I have been umming and arring about the £140 cover for burn in as we watch a fair amount of Cbeebies HOWEVER (before everyone says about image burn):

The morning logo: Isn't translucent.
The daytime logo: is translucent.
The evening logo: is translucent.

All logos changes every 20 seconds for 10-12 seconds.

We watch it for maybe up to an hour in the morning (being very conservative there) but this will probably switch down to a maximum of 30 mins as the old LCD TV will go in the bedroom, which will take most of the watching.

Sometimes it's on for a few hours in the day but that'll be slightly less now as we watch more other content and the translucency of the logo is a lot different to the stark red news channel banners. Rarely sport (maybe on football match a year in the World Cup) and no gaming.

Not sure if any burn in, which I think is unlikely anyway, would appear within the first 5 years anyway but for peace of mind, I may just buy it and not think about the money. Covered all bases that way.

Last edited:

toonarmy2567

Finally got myself sorted with one from John Lewis.
My first OLED. I have been umming and arring about the £140 cover for burn in as we watch a fair amount of Cbeebies HOWEVER (before everyone says about image burn):

The morning logo: Isn't translucent. However it changes every 20 seconds for 10-12 seconds.

The daytime logo: is translucent. I can't remember if it changes but will watch and report back.

The evening logo: is translucent. It also changes every 20 seconds for 10-12 seconds.

We watch it for maybe up to an hour in the morning (being very conservative there) but this will probably switch down to a maximum of 30 mins as the old LCD TV will go in the bedroom, which will take most of the watching.

Sometimes it's on for a few hours in the day but that'll be slightly less now as we watch more other content and the translucency of the logo is a lot different to the stark red news channel banners. Rarely sport (maybe on football match a year in the World Cup) and no gaming.

Not sure if any burn in, which I think is unlikely anyway, would appear within the first 5 years anyway but for peace of mind, I may just buy it and not think about the money. Covered all bases that way.
I took out the protect plus insurance with John Lewis works out at less than £30 a year it's a no brainer

anotheruser

Are there a set of slides that I can use to check uniformity for the A8?
I guess I should wait until after 100 hours to do this?

I already have some settings to tweak to get me going.

Andrew Preview

Standard Member
Does anyone else have a problem launching broadcast TV? If I select the TV button (which takes me to Youview for live and catch-up TV), the screen is blank even though the channel information shows that a channel (say BBC1 HD) is selected. If I press Guide and then select BBC1 HD, the screen goes blank again even though the programme information still shows that I am indeed on BBC1 HD. The only way I can get a picture is to use the channel button on the remote to switch up to BBC2 HD, which it displays correctly. If I then use the channel down button, BBC1 HD now displays correctly.

I tried setting the TV shortcut button to show live TV (ie Freeview) rather than live and catch-up TV (Youview), but it didn’t make any difference.

Any suggestions please?

toonarmy2567

Does anyone else have a problem launching broadcast TV? If I select the TV button (which takes me to Youview for live and catch-up TV), the screen is blank even though the channel information shows that a channel (say BBC1 HD) is selected. If I press Guide and then select BBC1 HD, the screen goes blank again even though the programme information still shows that I am indeed on BBC1 HD. The only way I can get a picture is to use the channel button on the remote to switch up to BBC2 HD, which it displays correctly. If I then use the channel down button, BBC1 HD now displays correctly.

I tried setting the TV shortcut button to show live TV (ie Freeview) rather than live and catch-up TV (Youview), but it didn’t make any difference.

Any suggestions please?
Try unplugging the TV at the wall for a couple of minutes

Greg88

Standard Member
I took out the protect plus insurance with John Lewis works out at less than £30 a year it's a no brainer
Exactly...just get the protection and forget about it.....I don't care about burn it as I have the same insurance....

I love my TV, it still blows me away, I want it looking as good as possible for as long as possible - If I get burn in at 4.5 years old though, and can then get a brand new 2024/2025 model with the latest advancements for a replacement, then is this really a bad thing!?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Astell&Kern announces AK Solaris X in ear monitors
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern Kann Alpha audio player gets Roon support
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches the Zen Stream Wi-Fi audio transport
  • By Andy Bassett