Sony A8 (AH8) OLED TV Owners & Discussion Thread

How is the support actually from Sony if anything goes wrong?

Not with this set, but previously Sony were very good if you follow their process (often a reset settings type set of instructions). I had a TV replaced after one year because of a fault with motion processing (well known in that model) the newer model was offered as a full replacement without any cost to me.

i use plex but not tried it on the A8 yet i use my mac as a server how well does plex work through the Sony app.
The only real difference I've found is that Plex on the Shield will produce Atmos with TrueHD files but the built in Sony Plex app won't. Annoyingly, it will give you Atmos if you have an EAC3 file so not sure what the difference is.

I was hoping that the recent app update would address this buy it doesn't. The Disney+ app on the TV also doesn't give you Atmos, which the Shield will.

Not with this set, but previously Sony were very good if you follow their process (often a reset settings type set of instructions). I had a TV replaced after one year because of a fault with motion processing (well known in that model) the newer model was offered as a full replacement without any cost to me.
My experience has been that they are not great if you just have a query or a problem that COULD be down to other bits of kit in your set up but they have been excellent when I had a problem that clearly was the TV. In my case they replaced an XE9005 with a brand new XF9005 at no extra cost (and with no fuss) when the XE developed a fault. Price difference at the time was around £400.

Had this from Sony support with regards to a question I asked them reading the link it recommended to watch through standard settings rather than say custom. Which ones are you all using? Standard or custom ( cinema too dark for me).

Thank you for contacting Sony support.

With reference to your enquiry regarding how to avoid burn in on your Sony KD-65A8, please follow the below link:

Had this from Sony support with regards to a question I asked them reading the link it recommended to watch through standard settings rather than say custom. Which ones are you all using? Standard or custom ( cinema too dark for me).

Thank you for contacting Sony support.

With reference to your enquiry regarding how to avoid burn in on your Sony KD-65A8, please follow the below link:
So, according to Sony, we are supposed to zoom in on wide movies to eliminate the black bars?
Many people buy Oleds to watch movies and this kind of advice is absolute bullsh*t!

I agree that’s why I got another oled for mainly movies and series.

So, according to Sony, we are supposed to zoom in on wide movies to eliminate the black bars?
Many people buy Oleds to watch movies and this kind of advice is absolute bullsh*t!
Even LG say that load of crap the TV is switched off in that area.
Only thing is if u watched movies like that 24hrs a day 365 a year the other pixels might wear faster but it wud take some doing

Kind of contradictory brightness on logos burn faster you would have thought the black bar area would last longer. Well my LG b6 got burnt by bright logo and was clearly visible. We watched a lot of films with black bars and those areas didn’t look any different on the burn in tests on YouTube.

Kind of contradictory brightness on logos burn faster you would have thought the black bar area would last longer. Well my LG b6 got burnt by bright logo and was clearly visible. We watched a lot of films with black bars and those areas didn’t look any different on the burn in tests on YouTube.
Exactly the black bars ain't gonna cause burn in 👍 the pixels are off in that area

i think i asked this before but the sony oled model numbers are causing me brain ache, whats the difference between the Sony BRAVIA KE65A8BU and Sony BRAVIA KD65A8BU? Is it the stand colour/type?
I assume that the Sony BRAVIA KD65AG9BU is just the 2020 upgrade

i think i asked this before but the sony oled model numbers are causing me brain ache, whats the difference between the Sony BRAVIA KE65A8BU and Sony BRAVIA KD65A8BU? Is it the stand colour/type?
I assume that the Sony BRAVIA KD65AG9BU is just the 2020 upgrade
KD9AG9BU is the 2019 Top of the range model “master series”. They didn’t launch a new top of the range in 2020, but they did launch the A8. Not sure what the difference is between KE and KD models.

Morning after some help if anyone has a suggestion would welcome it

Ok here goes got the 55 version and the Wi-Fi signal keeps dropping out at least 3 times a week and quite frankly I am getting somewhat fed up with it.

Current setup as follows recently replaced master socket moved to plusnet broadband in Feb tv has pretty much dropped the signal since I bought the telly in Feb after making the switch to plusnet

The signal drop out is a mixture of issues sometimes signal just drops other times it drops and the tv indicates its an authentication issue.

I have to admit Wi-Fi is not something I am to hot on so not sure if there is some adjustment I can make to the router or the TV to stop the the drop out

A further bit of research indicates that Plusnet routers are an issue for some and many replace with a BT hub 6 Apart from this issue its a great tv

Morning after some help if anyone has a suggestion would welcome it

Ok here goes got the 55 version and the Wi-Fi signal keeps dropping out at least 3 times a week and quite frankly I am getting somewhat fed up with it.

Current setup as follows recently replaced master socket moved to plusnet broadband in Feb tv has pretty much dropped the signal since I bought the telly in Feb after making the switch to plusnet

The signal drop out is a mixture of issues sometimes signal just drops other times it drops and the tv indicates its an authentication issue.

I have to admit Wi-Fi is not something I am to hot on so not sure if there is some adjustment I can make to the router or the TV to stop the the drop out

A further bit of research indicates that Plusnet routers are an issue for some and many replace with a BT hub 6 Apart from this issue its a great tv
I suggest that you hardwire the tv.
Some people also experience audio and wifi dropouts using wifi. When they go to hardwired internet all problems with audio dropouts and wifi dropouts are history.

Anyone using the BT Sport app on the TV? It updated today and promptly disappeared! It still says it's installed but it's nowhere to be found in any of the app lists.

I tried soft resetting the TV to no avail. Will have to try to uninstall/reinstall, I suppose. Weird.

Anybody else have the TV go on by itself?? I checked all timers and stuff no hdmi connections that could do it, Just wondering if i am the only one with the euro version that turns itself on.
Its done it now 3 times. in the last 2 weeks.

Anybody else have the TV go on by itself?? I checked all timers and stuff no hdmi connections that could do it, Just wondering if i am the only one with the euro version that turns itself on.
Its done it now 3 times. in the last 2 weeks.
Yes just started and doing my nut in

Anyone using the BT Sport app on the TV? It updated today and promptly disappeared! It still says it's installed but it's nowhere to be found in any of the app lists.

I tried soft resetting the TV to no avail. Will have to try to uninstall/reinstall, I suppose. Weird.
It’s in the App Store under the features tab.

I have noticed recently (Possibly coinciding with the update to my Sony A8H) that blacks now appear to be slightly raised when using Dolby Vision from the Apple TV 4K to the Sony.

This is a very well known issue with LG OLED's but I'm surprised it's now happening with the Sony A8H as I thought the Dolby Vision protocols the TV's used were completely different. Letterbox bars in Dolby Vision movies are very slightly raised above black which is obvious in a dark room.

The internal TV apps are all fine and my panel uniformity is fantastic, so I assume this issue is likely just due to the Apple TV 4K. I just wonder what has caused it as unless the TV has gotten brighter since I first bought it a month ago, it never happened before (And still only happens with Dolby Vision content from the Apple TV 4K).

Is there anyone else with a Sony A8H and an Apple TV 4K that confirm if they are seeing this issue? Especially with Dolby Vision content purchased from the itunes store?

It’s in the App Store under the features tab.
The point was that it WAS installed and the TV was telling me it was installed but the installed app wasn't visible anywhere where it should have been on the TV.

Anyway, mystery over (and thankfully before I uninstalled it) - BT issued another update later in the day with a note to say sorry , they had screwed up. Not exactly how they put it, of course, but solved non the less :)

I will be in the market for a 55” oled in May or June. Will any current A8 owners be trading up for the new AJ80 or AJ90 or sticking with their current A8? I can’t really wait until Black Friday so will need to make a decision soon. I know it’s only an opinion but would you buy an A8 or an AJ80 given the like price differential of around £1k?

I will be in the market for a 55” oled in May or June. Will any current A8 owners be trading up for the new AJ80 or AJ90 or sticking with their current A8? I can’t really wait until Black Friday so will need to make a decision soon. I know it’s only an opinion but would you buy an A8 or an AJ80 given the like price differential of around £1k?
Buy now with tech you are always chasing the latest and greatest a save yourself £1k

If I had to buy now I really would not wait and still buy the A8.

By the A8 it’s fantastic

The only thing I’m really worried about with the A8 is some say it’s dark compared to a LCD especially in HDR. I currently have the XH9505 and love this tv. I do have to wait until May as this tv is going into the conservatory then. Nobody thinks the Extra £1k is well spent on the new TV?

The only thing I’m really worried about with the A8 is some say it’s dark compared to a LCD especially in HDR. I currently have the XH9505 and love this tv. I do have to wait until May as this tv is going into the conservatory then. Nobody thinks the Extra £1k is well spent on the new TV?
I was worried about brightness as well but had to turn the brightness down.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom