Sony A8 (AH8) OLED Owners & Discussion Thread

jm5151

Novice Member
Device up time or hours been on.

goto settings
device preferences
About
status
now all the way on the bottom you can read the amount of time the tv was ON!

Up time
xxx hours

So no need to go into service menu.
Excellent tip. It works.

HiFiGuyer

Standard Member
Device up time or hours been on.

goto settings
device preferences
About
status
now all the way on the bottom you can read the amount of time the tv was ON!

Up time
xxx hours

So no need to go into service menu.
So it is not total working time/hours since buying, just time since last restart, right?

cooknl

So it is not total working time/hours since buying, just time since last restart, right?

Correct you can check this in the following way
PRESS on button on the remote for more then 5 seconds, tv will shutoff and do a cold boot Sony calls it a RESTART. If you do the check again after tv is back up and running you will see 2 minutes or so.

Petey20

How is the banding on these sets? I recently returned 2 XH95s for DSE so think I need to go OLED to get away from this, but banding would annoy me even more than DSE I think.

sattapaal

so did anyone get the a85 as opposed to the a8? i hear there is a difference in remote? need some pictures. a8h has the silver one right?

cooknl

so did anyone get the a85 as opposed to the a8? i hear there is a difference in remote? need some pictures. a8h has the silver one right?

Yep got the A8(H) here in europe (Holland) and bought the backlighted ( Yes the silver one) remote from the company in chek republic see here.
It took about 1 1/2 weeks to get it due to customs delay but it works great and a super low price.
As far Banding etc. goes, I have none at all so far after 70 odd hours of use.

mrapriliafalco1

How is the banding on these sets? I recently returned 2 XH95s for DSE so think I need to go OLED to get away from this, but banding would annoy me even more than DSE I think.
Had Q7 before and banding was infuriating but Mrs couldn’t even notice it! Bought this A8 and was really concerned I’d spend £2K and have exactly the same issues ! Pleased to say I’ve experienced no banding

suresh92

I am trying to connect my pc to the tv via Miracast but it seems it doesn't work. Same if I try to screen share my Android phone. Is the TV missing this functionality?

I see it has Chromecast built-in but it only works to send some specific apps.

The Ironist

Standard Member
Illuminated remote just arrived, ordered 5th delivered 18th, not too bad I guess.

It's much nicer than the included remove, aside from the illumination, the face is proper metal and overall feels much nicer to hold.

Mikeyyy

Anyone with the backlit remotes, how to the bottom presses compare with the original? Biggest gripe with the tv is the mushy buttons on the remote.

cooknl

Anyone with the backlit remotes, how to the bottom presses compare with the original? Biggest gripe with the tv is the mushy buttons on the remote.

Well the original don,t feel mushy to me but the feeling between the original and the backlit dont feel any different.

Mikeyyy

Well the original don,t feel mushy to me but the feeling between the original and the backlit dont feel any different.
I just prefer clicky buttons, like on the Apple TV remote, the Samsung smart remotes or even the buttons on the x800m2 remote.

Last edited:

KevRusski

Novice Member
hi, a few queries.....if you dont mind.
Does this tv have any hdmi 2.1 inputs?
Does it have VRR?
and what's the filter like for sunlight shining on the screen.....

Lastly, I desperately want an OLED for the viewing angle, blacks and lack of DSE....but I do game and watch sports so burn in is a concern.....but the more you read in these forums the more you get put off buying any TV, and I will notice any flaws. I wish I wasnt like that, but I am!

I currently have a 55" sony w900 from about 8 years ago. Its been excellent, BUT suffers from DSE and a shocking viewing angle and reflects light big time. Its now got about 20 dead pixels though which is very disappointing for the price I paid and I want to upgrade for the ps5....

dave_a

hi, a few queries.....if you dont mind.
Does this tv have any hdmi 2.1 inputs?
Does it have VRR?
and what's the filter like for sunlight shining on the screen.....

Lastly, I desperately want an OLED for the viewing angle, blacks and lack of DSE....but I do game and watch sports so burn in is a concern.....but the more you read in these forums the more you get put off buying any TV, and I will notice any flaws. I wish I wasnt like that, but I am!

I currently have a 55" sony w900 from about 8 years ago. Its been excellent, BUT suffers from DSE and a shocking viewing angle and reflects light big time. Its now got about 20 dead pixels though which is very disappointing for the price I paid and I want to upgrade for the ps5....

Not 2.1,and I am pretty sure no VRR (LG-CX would be an option here if those are key).

Ains

TV Disney+ app updated today. I was hoping this was to add Atmos support, but seems it wasn't :(

cooknl

My experience with my SONY 55A8 with aprox. 150 hours of use.

I dislike the way ANDROID TV works in comparison with the WEBOS from LG.
WEBOS is much more user friendly than the Android TV, but the capabilities of Android TV are much more deversified then Webos.
It takes a while to get used to the unfriendliness of the ANDROID TV system but is well worth to get proficient with, because of the all possibilities it has.

Regarding the 55A8 it took till about 125 hours for it all of a sudden become MUCH brighter then it was when brand new, note that it became a lot sharper at about 50 hours of use, but the biggest change came at 125 or so hours, almost became a 3D picture, things/people, seem to seperate from the background more, really neat.

After 5 years of having lots of problems with the LG oleds and multiple exchanges, I did have the last one (E8) that worked as intended, I think the picture quality of the Sony 55A8 is superior to the LGs at least in comparison with the last LG E8 I had.

To those of you with an Sony A8(H) with less then 200 hours, hang in there till at least 200 hours of use before you decide to exchange, because the best is yet to come.
My Euro 55A8 got its BIG improvement around 135 hours and the biggest noticeable change was the BRIGHTNESS and picture DEPTH, Brightness went from MAX(50) to having to set it back to 18, and that is a BIG difference.

There is a new software version out this morning OTA version number 6.5016.0631EUA
that is another thing I like about the SONY is that the explenation of what was changed in the firmware, is shown on screen when you go to update.

One thing I dislike is trying to find the user manual that explains the workings of ANDROID TV. It is hidden very well on the SONY site. It took me 5 times looking for it before I found it you can download it and then either print it or save it as PDF file. I chose to save as PDF because of its length, 164 pages.

Download User Manual from HERE.

Last edited:

olliden

My experience with my SONY 55A8 with aprox. 150 hours of use.

I dislike the way ANDROID TV works in comparison with the WEBOS from LG.
WEBOS is much more user friendly than the Android TV, but the capabilities of Android TV are much more deversified then Webos.
It takes a while to get used to the unfriendliness of the ANDROID TV system but is well worth to get proficient with, because of the all possibilities it has.

Regarding the 55A8 it took till about 125 hours for it all of a sudden become MUCH brighter then is was when brand new, note that it became a lot sharper at about 50 hours of use, but the biggest change came at 125 or so hours, almost became a 3D picture, things/people, seem to seperate from the background more, really neat.

After 5 years of having lots of problems with the LG oleds and multiple exchanges, I did have the last one (E8) that worked as intended, I think the picture quality of the Sony 55A8 is superior to the LGs at least in comparison with the last LG E8 I had.

To those of you with an Sony A8(H) with less then 200 hours, hang in there till at least 200 hours of use before you decide to exchange, because the best is yet to come.
My Euro 55A8 got its BIG improvement around 135 hours and the biggest noticeable change was the BRIGHTNESS and picture DEPTH, Brightness went from MAX(50) to having to set it back to 18, and that is a BIG difference.

There is a new software version out this morning OTA version number 6.5016.0631EUA
that is another thing I like about the SONY is that the explenation of what was changed in the firmware, is shown on screen when you go to update.

One thing I dislike is trying to find the user manual that explains the workings of ANDROID TV. It is hidden very well on the SONY site. It took me 5 times looking for it before I found it you can download it and then either print it or save it as PDF file. I chose to save as PDF because of its length, 164 pages.

Download User Manual from HERE.
Been posting in the A9G forums also as looking at one of them or one of these plus LG GX as little stuck on what to get. I’m just wondering how you are finding the picture on this compared to your LG ? Plus dark scenes do you get blocky blacks or they good.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J/A80J OLED details, Best type of Amplification, Film & TV Show News + Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

LG offers best ever OLED prices - for one week only
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches Bravia XR A80J OLED TVs in Europe
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window