Sony A8 (AH8) OLED TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Hey folks! Brand new to these forums. I was wondering if any of you were experienced enough with the A8H to steer me in the right direction.

I just got my TV set up and the picture is not the greatest depending on what I'm viewing. I'm using wi-fi at 150mps. When the content is definitely high def, the picture is amazing. But it seems to be hit or miss. I streamed some content off of Netflix and it looked fine.....but then used a plex server to stream a 1080p file from my brother in law's server and it almost looked pixilated. It was definitely not playing in 1080p. Could this be some sort of connection issue? Like the TV is turning down the sharpness to prevent buffering? I'm using the on board apps. To troubleshoot, I plan to hook up a Roku via HDMI to see if it could be the internal interface. Some content from youtubetv was not perfect either. Maybe its the source material or maybe its a signal issue. Gonna have to tinker with it.

It looks like the TV has infinite settings and stuff to tinker with, so I'm hoping its just a setting or something. My 12yr old Samsung LCD was outstanding.....but I did not have to adjust settings at all with it. I plan to tweak the settings from page 2 as time permits.

Also, how can you tell what format (1080, 4K) is playing? Also, how can you tell what sound? I've seen a lot of that talk on this thread. I have a 5.1 with a sub.....but I did not adjust it much yet. Just getting it all playing right now.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thanks mine was also posted on the 28th !!!!
will try and chase it up
Thanks I’ve checked and post office site says
Sorry, your item went to Mount Pleasant W DO in error, so we re-routed it immediately. More information will be available as it travels through our network.
Lol at least I know in system

Hey folks! Brand new to these forums. I was wondering if any of you were experienced enough with the A8H to steer me in the right direction.

I just got my TV set up and the picture is not the greatest depending on what I'm viewing. I'm using wi-fi at 150mps. When the content is definitely high def, the picture is amazing. But it seems to be hit or miss. I streamed some content off of Netflix and it looked fine.....but then used a plex server to stream a 1080p file from my brother in law's server and it almost looked pixilated. It was definitely not playing in 1080p. Could this be some sort of connection issue? Like the TV is turning down the sharpness to prevent buffering? I'm using the on board apps. To troubleshoot, I plan to hook up a Roku via HDMI to see if it could be the internal interface. Some content from youtubetv was not perfect either. Maybe its the source material or maybe its a signal issue. Gonna have to tinker with it.

It looks like the TV has infinite settings and stuff to tinker with, so I'm hoping its just a setting or something. My 12yr old Samsung LCD was outstanding.....but I did not have to adjust settings at all with it. I plan to tweak the settings from page 2 as time permits.

Also, how can you tell what format (1080, 4K) is playing? Also, how can you tell what sound? I've seen a lot of that talk on this thread. I have a 5.1 with a sub.....but I did not adjust it much yet. Just getting it all playing right now.

Low bitrate files are really shown up on this TV.
I use Plex on my shield and I've noticed some movies look pixelated which didn't on previous TVs.
Your previous TV didn't have much to do with a 1080p file where as this TV does.
My dad loves my TV and was up for getting something similar but knowing that he only really watches Freeview channels it would be wasted and, in fact would look much worse than his 6 year old 1080p Samsung.

Thanks mine was also posted on the 28th !!!!
will try and chase it up

My Backlighted remote was shipped on the 5th from CK and now says accepted transfer to country of destination or something like that.

How the #### do you switch off the double subtitles on Amazon Prime? I’ve decided to rewatch Jack Ryan in 4K but can’t seem to do anything about the audio settings.

The “audio” button on the remote doesn’t do anything.

Hi Newbie here got my A8 on Saturday and have an issue which I hope you can help with. I have no sound when selecting say you tube from the apps menu or Spotify I have the external outputs set as enhanced any ideas please where to look it's bit strange as when I select amazon prime the apps menu I have sound

The other I have is slow broadband which intend to sort out this week. Great TV but understanding some the settings has been challenging

Hi Newbie here got my A8 on Saturday and have an issue which I hope you can help with. I have no sound when selecting say you tube from the apps menu or Spotify I have the external outputs set as enhanced any ideas please where to look it's bit strange as when I select amazon prime the apps menu I have sound

The other I have is slow broadband which intend to sort out this week. Great TV but understanding some the settings has been challenging
Found a answer soft reboot sorted out the issue by holding the power button for 5 seconds performed a reboot resetting the android system and that has fixed onwards to the 100 hours panel viewing then will use the settings on page 2

Last edited:
Have Xbox hooked up via hdmi so went to that and changed picture mode to game.

Been watching some tv and was watching A Perfect Planet on built in BBC app thinking it would have gone back to custom but realised it was in game still.

Am I doing something wrong or do I have to change the picture mode each time I change source?

Is it only the different settings for HDR/Dolby vision it remembers?

Yes DD+, thays not dolby atmos, just 5.1

When you got to the program listing it will tell you what sound you get and it says 5.1
ok. argue with dolby website.

sony tv showing dolby atmos when pressed settings. what is definition of dolby atmos? dolby studio should know pwrhaps. I'm no saying I'm expert. only wrote what i see written. when click sound option within denon app it will offer dolby atmos which will show as seen on my photo in previous reply. Well i don't care about name, sounds good in 5.1

Dolby Digital Plus

Dolby Digital Plus™ (E-AC-3) provides up to twice the efficiency of Dolby Digital while adding new features like 7.1-ch audio, support for descriptive video services, and support for Dolby Atmos (but more on that later).

Dolby Digital Plus is widely used by streaming and broadcast services to deliver surround sound audio at lower bitrates.

• Stereo audio in Dolby Digital Plus is typically encoded at bitrates between 96-128 kbps.
  • 5.1-ch audio in Dolby Digital Plus is typically encoded at bitrates between 192-256 kbps
  • Dolby Atmos audio in Dolby Digital Plus is typically encoded at bitrates between 384 and 768 kbps.

Dolby Digital Plus bitstreams are not directly backwards compatible with Dolby Digital decoders, but Dolby Digital Plus decoders can decode Dolby Digital bitstreams.

Dolby DigitalDolby Digital PlusDolby TrueHD
Stereo
5.1-ch
7.1-ch
Dolby Atmos
Lossless
S/PDIF via conversion
HDMI
HDMI ARC
HDMI eARC

Go back to
ok. argue with dolby website.

sony tv showing dolby atmos when pressed settings. what is definition of dolby atmos? dolby studio should know pwrhaps. I'm no saying I'm expert. only wrote what i see written. when click sound option within denon app it will offer dolby atmos which will show as seen on my photo in previous reply. Well i don't care about name, sounds good in 5.1

Dolby Digital Plus

Dolby Digital Plus™ (E-AC-3) provides up to twice the efficiency of Dolby Digital while adding new features like 7.1-ch audio, support for descriptive video services, and support for Dolby Atmos (but more on that later).

Dolby Digital Plus is widely used by streaming and broadcast services to deliver surround sound audio at lower bitrates.

• Stereo audio in Dolby Digital Plus is typically encoded at bitrates between 96-128 kbps.
  • 5.1-ch audio in Dolby Digital Plus is typically encoded at bitrates between 192-256 kbps
  • Dolby Atmos audio in Dolby Digital Plus is typically encoded at bitrates between 384 and 768 kbps.

Dolby Digital Plus bitstreams are not directly backwards compatible with Dolby Digital decoders, but Dolby Digital Plus decoders can decode Dolby Digital bitstreams.

Dolby DigitalDolby Digital PlusDolby TrueHD
Stereo
5.1-ch
7.1-ch
Dolby Atmos
Lossless
S/PDIFvia conversion
HDMI
HDMI ARC
HDMI eARC
[/QUOTE/]

Your source is the Disney+ app. The server is feeding your tv 5.1. Your tv cannot change 5.1 to Atmos using Dolby Digital Plus. The Atmos data isn't there to begin with.

Hi let me know how you get on with your sony Player connected to this tv.
When I connect mine through arc all i see is a black screen. I'm still fiddling to fix it.
Let me know how you get on.
Thanks
All ok made sure firmware was up to date

Hi i recently upgraded to the a8, so far fairly happy with it. Though can I ask is getting the nvidia shield pro a good idea I see lots of people here are using them is it really much better than using the a8s apps?
thanks

Hi i recently upgraded to the a8, so far fairly happy with it. Though can I ask is getting the nvidia shield pro a good idea I see lots of people here are using them is it really much better than using the a8s apps?
thanks
I have an A8 and 2017 shield and I wouldn't bother unless you play games on the shield or want to use it as a Plex server, as i do.
What I would say from personal experience is that the A8 needs a soft reset ( hold power button and restart) far more than the shield using YouTube etc.

I have an A8 and 2017 shield and I wouldn't bother unless you play games on the shield or want to use it as a Plex server, as i do.
What I would say from personal experience is that the A8 needs a soft reset ( hold power button and restart) far more than the shield using YouTube etc.
Hi not sure I know what you mean by plex server, I was interested as I heard they are able to stream movies etc in better resolution and audio.

Hi not sure I know what you mean by plex server, I was interested as I heard they are able to stream movies etc in better resolution and audio.
I haven't got an atmos setup so the audio side doesn't bother me.
The apps don't look any different to me but some people are pedants and will tell you that the shield is 5% brighter or whatever - they may be right!

I had to do a factory reset yesterday (the TV has stopped seeing my HDMI sources, even though they all work fine - I've raised a ticket with Sony) but since the reset BBC iPlayer just won't open - sticks on "loading" every time.

I've tried a soft reset but didn't work and there's no "app" to reset as it comes built in. Anyone had this problem?

Disney+ via the internal app is 5.1 only. Use an external device (I use ATV, no experience with other devices but I think it's the same principle) to feed your AVR and from there to the tv and you get Atmos.

No idea why the internal app doesn't have Atmos.

Also no experience of internal Netflix app for Atmos (does Netflix do Atmos?), I don't even have 4K Netflix :( . Standard HD looks pretty good mind.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom