Sony A8 4K OLED TV available now in Europe

skyform

Sony A8H OLED 4K HDR TV Review | Better but cheaper?
:rotfl: What a great reply from Caleb on the hair, some people are so unpolite, nothing wrong with his hair and who cares how he dresses, we are here for his review and he does a great job.

Smiffy 2

Sony A8H OLED 4K HDR TV Review | Better but cheaper?
Looks an absolutely stunning set and as I am not a "gamer" it's looking more likely that Sony will be getting my cash.

Metalex

Looks an absolutely stunning set and as I am not a "gamer" it's looking more likely that Sony will be getting my cash.
I’m a “gamer”, in that I play games occasionally and will likely get a PS5 at some point.

I just don’t see the new consoles pumping out a constant 120fps at 4K. If VRR is kicking in constantly, surely that will take away from the smoothness that 120Hz gaming is supposed to bring. It might actually be better to have a solid capped 60fps in some cases.

At the end of the day, these new consoles are still going to have to cater for non-HDMI 2.1 TVs that the vast majority will have. HDMI 2.1 will be no more a requirement for next gen console gaming than G-sync/FreeSync gaming monitors are a requirement for PC gaming.

So yeah, I’ll be going with the A8 too.

Smiffy 2

I’m a “gamer”, in that I play games occasionally and will likely get a PS5 at some point.

I just don’t see the new consoles pumping out a constant 120fps at 4K. If VRR is kicking in constantly, surely that will take away from the smoothness that 120Hz gaming is supposed to bring. It might actually be better to have a solid capped 60fps in some cases.

At the end of the day, these new consoles are still going to have to cater for non-HDMI 2.1 TVs that the vast majority will have. HDMI 2.1 will be no more a requirement for next gen console gaming than G-sync/FreeSync gaming monitors are a requirement for PC gaming.

So yeah, I’ll be going with the A8 too.
All gets a bit technical for me I just want a decent picture 😉😉

clarkydaz

Standard Member
Anyone familiar with this guy? has many videos stating the 8G has a better picture compared to lg, A9 and even this new A8H, due to the mature extreme chip that offers more picture options as to the newer ultimate chip. In his head to heads his Sony 8G does look great, but the rival tends to look dumbed down in some vids

Very close to going for the new sony myself, mainly for the proposed motion improvements

Metalex

Anyone familiar with this guy? has many videos stating the 8G has a better picture compared to lg, A9 and even this new A8H, due to the mature extreme chip that offers more picture options as to the newer ultimate chip. In his head to heads his Sony 8G does look great, but the rival tends to look dumbed down in some vids

Very close to going for the new sony myself, mainly for the proposed motion improvements
Isn't that guy the chief troll/joker amongst TV reviewers?

The A8H vs A8G test is seriously messed up. He claims to have calibrated them, yet they have wildly different colours, not to mention the A8H is stuttering all over the place.

The only advantage the Extreme chip has is slightly more flexible film mode settings (low, medium, high, instead of auto or off with the Ultimate).

But yeah: "Thanks for noticing the skillz! ✌🏾😁Most calibrators pale in comparison to Me, because they don't spend the time learning how to properly use picture processing, in conjunction with their calibration skills. They let calman do all the work, disable all processing, put sharpness to 0, and think that trash is a good picture. All calibrators are not created equal."

Ignore him.

MahaRaja

:rotfl: What a great reply from Caleb on the hair, some people are so unpolite, nothing wrong with his hair and who cares how he dresses, we are here for his review and he does a great job.
Disappointing review. He just mentions 'great picture quality' without any videos of how it handles near black transition and if it improved from last year. Also the auto dimming on sports results; no comment on that. Would have to wait for the one and only..Vincent to give us a full picture instead of just 'great picture quality' remark'

skyform

Isn't that guy the chief troll/joker amongst TV reviewers?

The A8H vs A8G test is seriously messed up. He claims to have calibrated them, yet they have wildly different colours, not to mention the A8H is stuttering all over the place.

The only advantage the Extreme chip has is slightly more flexible film mode settings (low, medium, high, instead of auto or off with the Ultimate).

But yeah: "Thanks for noticing the skillz! ✌🏾😁Most calibrators pale in comparison to Me, because they don't spend the time learning how to properly use picture processing, in conjunction with their calibration skills. They let calman do all the work, disable all processing, put sharpness to 0, and think that trash is a good picture. All calibrators are not created equal."

Ignore him.
Yep, this guy is full of sh*t, he also said how XE90 is better than XF90 and XG95. Seriously why would AG8 be better then AG9, they are nearly identical with AG9 having some advantages like better calibrated out of the box, brighter, a bit more shadow detail, X1 ultimate and much faster android menus. The only disadvantage of AG9 is motion which has less strong SOE because of X1 Ultimate, X1 and X1 extreme have better SOE because you can set it to 5 while on X1 ultimate max is 3, and more film mode settings like you said.

He is also calling him self a professional calibrator :rotfl: don't know based on what, I watched quite some videos by him and his settings are horrible, he is usig dynamic contrast at high, black adjust at high, even puting blacks down to 46-48. This guy is so full of him self, it's almost makes me vomit while listening to him.

Hudson123

His calibration skills are terrible or he does it on purpose to make one set let better. He did some halo video comparison with an LG set I think and you could see how much detail in the image was lost, there was a big blue circle effect which is meant to have white light inside but on his "calibration “ it was just all blue... SO BAD.

The A8 for 1620 quid at curry's is tempting me, I want bfi 120hz as I think it's the only important feature that was missing from older sets. Hard to justify losing hdmi 2.1 though in comparison from the LG c9 or cx, DECISIONS!

what I need is for Vincent to put out his review, that would help me decide haha

clarkydaz

Standard Member
His calibration skills are terrible or he does it on purpose to make one set let better. He did some halo video comparison with an LG set I think and you could see how much detail in the image was lost, there was a big blue circle effect which is meant to have white light inside but on his "calibration “ it was just all blue... SO BAD.

The A8 for 1620 quid at curry's is tempting me, I want bfi 120hz as I think it's the only important feature that was missing from older sets. Hard to justify losing hdmi 2.1 though in comparison from the LG c9 or cx, DECISIONS!

what I need is for Vincent to put out his review, that would help me decide haha
will the bfi be better for sports, football etc? the 10% deal currently seems to be at most places if you check, im also waiting for Vincent to give his thoughts on it before i purchase

Hudson123

will the bfi be better for sports, football etc? the 10% deal currently seems to be at most places if you check, im also waiting for Vincent to give his thoughts on it before i purchase
Yeah it should make a difference in most content but especially sports and games, now it's a variable rate and much higher it means you can have it on with no flicker and has a lower impact on brightness levels so it's a big improvement from 2019.

1620 plus a tiny chance of a refund in their draw thing at curry's, that's the only reason I'm considering getting it from there rather than getting RS to price match

skyform

A8 doesn't have the grey aluminium backlit remote like XH95? :eek:

Seriously even my XG95 has the grey aluminium remote, just not backlit.

Smiffy 2

A8 doesn't have the grey aluminium backlit remote like XH95? :eek:
Shame. With my dodgy eyesight a back-lit remote would be a godsend.
Never mind.
Having said that, I'm sitting here currently watching a film on my B9. Box Trolls on 4HD. Could the A8H really have a much better picture than this? It's incredible.... 😱😱😱😱

Metalex

Sony A8H 4K HDR OLED TV review: Superbly cinematic
It’s a disappointing review, in that he does almost nothing in the way of measurements.

He claims the input lag is the same as the A9G, but it doesn’t sound like he’s actually tested it. He also gives a lag figure for 4K 120Hz when the TV can’t even do it.

clarkydaz

Standard Member
at the end says this is best motion for sport, so looks like im jumping in. :smashin:

Also just noted this on avs from D-Nice regarding the review;

"Sigh... he is still using Dolby Dark when Dolby Bright tracks PQ correctly. Easily measured— he needs to reach out to me if he does not know how."

So could be even better

Slugsy01

Can I hold on to next year? Really want a 77” version of this with the additional motion