Sony A1E OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Afternoon All,

Is it still the case that this TV only supports 4k at 60hz via HDMI slot 2 & 3?

Thanks

Andy

Yes that’s correct.

Yes Amazon Prime Video provides ATMOS, it worked on two firmwares prior to this latest one, see my post a page or two back. Not much content on there but Jack Ryan is in ATMOS. As mentioned previously the TIDAL music app also passes ATMOS content.

Tried Disney+ and YouTube and these don't provide ATMOS.
just noticed my SONY HT-ST5000 is showing “atmos” too. Bizarre that none of the Prime programs say “atmos” they still show 5.1?

Thanks id done a update friday but its not the latest. The tv says software up to date so ill have to down load to usb

Yes that's what I did, updated over the air then downloaded latest Android 9 firmware

Yes Amazon Prime Video provides ATMOS, it worked on two firmwares prior to this latest one, see my post a page or two back. Not much content on there but Jack Ryan is in ATMOS. As mentioned previously the TIDAL music app also passes ATMOS content.

Tried Disney+ and YouTube and these don't provide ATMOS.

Well blow me, with this latest update, Jack Ryan has now lost ATMOS, but has reintroduced Dolby Vision!! .. what the heck is going on!?

I know Dolby Vision was on series 1 but they seemed to have dropped after that.

Yes I knew S2 didn't have DV, but with S1, it originally had DV for me, then earlier this year S1 had dropped DV for just HDR10 but gained ATMOS. Now with latest firmware S1 has dropped ATMOS, but reinstated DV.

Hi all,

I need some help please.

My TV does not show an over the air update - still showing ‘latest software’ when I hit the search for update function.

I can’t seem to update via USB either, the TV does not start to auto-update instead it recognises the USB and shows me this screen, any ideas?
300286DB-279B-4927-B8F5-5FC70C8FC933.jpeg

Hi all,

I need some help please.

My TV does not show an over the air update - still showing ‘latest software’ when I hit the search for update function.

I can’t seem to update via USB either, the TV does not start to auto-update instead it recognises the USB and shows me this screen, any ideas?View attachment 1410009

I believe over the air updates are staggered, so not available all at the same time. Have you downloaded the update to your USB stick from your computer, unpacked the zip and placed in the root directory?

@Topmetom 2 thank you, that worked.

TV interface is now super snappy!

Sky q users? Do you have HDR? I have the latest sky’s firmware etc but can’t get hdr on it
edit....i am a fool ignore me it works just fine

Last edited:
Since the latest update i'm unable to play streaming channels. Netflix, prime video and youtube all play as normal just the freeview streaming channels don't. I've never had this problem before the update, my tv is wired to the router. As "nlanks" did on here i reset the clock to receive the network time from the broadcast time, but it has made no difference. When on the streaming channel it says "Loading....Please wait" and you keep waiting but nothing happens. Any ideas ?

Can someone who has the A1 and is connected to the internet and is in the UK try freeview channel 271 for me.

Can someone who has the A1 and is connected to the internet and is in the UK try freeview channel 271 for me.

Yep,get the following screen

20201204_115028_copy_973x567.jpg

Then with this latest update they've broken it. I've gone through the settings but can't find anything that would able or disable it. Yes, that particular channel has about 9 on it, with a couple of music channels on it. That is not the only streaming channel on there, there's a good few, i just used that as an example.

Sony RMF-TX600E - has anyone tried this backlit silver remote with the A1, does it work?

Hello. Does anyone have a PS5? I'm having a lot of problems with the Sony A1 and HDR in games.

Hello. Does anyone have a PS5? I'm having a lot of problems with the Sony A1 and HDR in games.

Please elaborate. Also note that lots of games don't have HDR implemented very well, or some games don't have HDR at all, but the PS5 tries to convert all games to HDR (which is bad IMO). If you think certain games are looking bad in HDR, try disabling HDR in PS5 system settings becasue genuinely a lot of games are supposed to be played in SDR, or even if they have HDR implementation it is poor and looks better in SDR.

Please elaborate. Also note that lots of games don't have HDR implemented very well, or some games don't have HDR at all, but the PS5 tries to convert all games to HDR (which is bad IMO). If you think certain games are looking bad in HDR, try disabling HDR in PS5 system settings becasue genuinely a lot of games are supposed to be played in SDR, or even if they have HDR implementation it is poor and looks better in SDR.

Thanks for your quick reply! My problem is not related to SDR games at all. The thing is, if I set TV Black Level to Automatic and on Auto on the PS5 as well, all HDR games look very dark (A crazy example is Ghost of Tsushima which results in being unplayable like that. Even playing it on SDR is weird, the colour look faulty and washed out). The only solution I found is setting the TV Black Level on Full and Auto/Full on PS5. Then the picture on games like GoT, FFVII Remake and TLOUPartII look OK, displaying all grey gradations and I am able to see every detail also in darker scenes. I don't know if it is not correct to do so, but everything else provide a very dark HDR picture. The only problem with the FULL range RGB is that Ubisoft games in HDR still look very off in terms of colours and brightness.

Thanks for your quick reply! My problem is not related to SDR games at all. The thing is, if I set TV Black Level to Automatic and on Auto on the PS5 as well, all HDR games look very dark (A crazy example is Ghost of Tsushima which results in being unplayable like that. Even playing it on SDR is weird, the colour look faulty and washed out). The only solution I found is setting the TV Black Level on Full and Auto/Full on PS5. Then the picture on games like GoT, FFVII Remake and TLOUPartII look OK, displaying all grey gradations and I am able to see every detail also in darker scenes. I don't know if it is not correct to do so, but everything else provide a very dark HDR picture. The only problem with the FULL range RGB is that Ubisoft games in HDR still look very off in terms of colours and brightness.

I assume that on your TVs HDMI input you have set Game mode? Disable HDR on the console and then customise your Game mode SDR 'version' to your preferred setting. Now on the PS5, re-enable HDR to automatic and this will trigger the TV to enter Game mode 'HDR' version. Now do the HDR calibration sliders correctly in the PS5 video output settings. Also set your RGB range to Full but leave the HDMI black level to Auto on the TV (the TV on Auto will correctly match the Limited or Full setting on the PS5).

Load up your game in HDR mode. Check to see if there any further in game HDR calibrations you can do and optimise those. Play the game for 10 mins. Now quit game and disable HDR in PS5 system settings and load the same game up and play it for 10 mins in SDR. Whichever way looks the best to you, carry on playing the game in that way.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I assume that on your TVs HDMI input you have set Game mode? Disable HDR on the console and then customise your Game mode SDR 'version' to your preferred setting. Now on the PS5, re-enable HDR to automatic and this will trigger the TV to enter Game mode 'HDR' version. Now do the HDR calibration sliders correctly in the PS5 video output settings. Also set your RGB range to Full but leave the HDMI black level to Auto on the TV (the TV on Auto will correctly match the Limited or Full setting on the PS5).

Load up your game in HDR mode. Check to see if there any further in game HDR calibrations you can do and optimise those. Play the game for 10 mins. Now quit game and disable HDR in PS5 system settings and load the same game up and play it for 10 mins in HDR. Whichever way looks the best to you, carry on playing the game in that way.

I hope this helps.

Isn't that so, that games in HDR should not have their HDR settings changed by default because their default values, usually 50/50 brightness, should guarantee a proper HDR picture?

I tried to disable HDR on PS5 and set RGB to Full and Automatic on the TV. It still shows a dark picture. As I said, the only way to get a bright picture is to set TV´s black level on Full regardless of the PS5 settings.

Could this be a TV issue since the peak brightness (nits) on HDR mode is limited to 750?

I really don't know what to do. Everyone seems to have an LG OLED (CX) and I was not able to find any useful tipps on the web because of that. The PS5 outputting RGB Full at default and not able to output RGB Full Chroma while on HDR is very disputed though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom