Sony A1E OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Nor Realy, burn in, we rarely pause the screen or leave on the Sky Menu. We first noticed this on football, etc.

i was just going by what I could see on the yellow screen, the sky pause logo can be seen in the bottom left hand corner.

I think that you are referring to Russelgti's post, not mine :hiya:

Here are some pics of my TV, spoke with Sony and they have said it's within specification. I will keep you posted.
I can see the dreaded rectangle LUT Panel fault after the panel refresh (Long one)

This is a panel fault as I had the same on my Panasonic EZ952 after only 8 months, the panel was replaced by John Lewis. This is a known fault that affected a a batch of 2017 OLED Screens, don't let Sony pass it off as "in limits".

My replacement panel also had a fault a year later so decided to ditch OLED and get a XH950 LCD which is an awesome TV, coming from decades of Plasma's and two Kuros which I still have the OLED was the natural choice but the tech has too many issues in my opinion, banding, tinting and panel faults etc. Never had any of these issues with my Kuro's.

The XH950 is obviously not as black as the OLED but does everything else so much better and is superbly bright which has a real positive effect on HDR.

Get the panel replaced, that is most definitely the rectangle panel fault, your banding on low IRE is pretty bad as well.

Good Luck

My A1 which was purchased from JL in December 2017 has developed a green line at the bottom of the screen. This appeared after the panel refresh. Reported to JL who in turn passed to Martin Dawes. Emailed the pics to engineer at martin dawes who said that Sony do not replace the panels and JL should arrange a replacement set. Just waiting on an update from JL
My TV has exactly the same issue..mine was bought from JL too. What was your outcome mate?

I'm another one with a 2017 A1 with panel issues, got screen burn that won't go away after panel refresh,contacted Martin Dawes last night,will see what they come back with.

Oh dear, hope my August 2017 A1 from Curry's won't go the same way! Hope you guys get your sets sorted/replaced!

Does anybody else get really bad colour banding? Mines pretty bad. Anyone think this is an issue?

It was this YouTube video

Attachments

• IMG_20200813_152733.jpg
    IMG_20200813_152733.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 96
Has anyone had the tv restart whilst watching something? Im wondering about power surges in the area but the screen is the only thing that goes off?

Once many moons ago I think. I just got back from 10 days away and powered the BB router on and the TV just turned itself on a few moments later!! Bizarre!

Here are some pics of my TV, spoke with Sony and they have said it's within specification. I will keep you posted.
Hi, I have a similar issue and my TV is from 2017, where did you get the slides from to emphasise the issue please? Hopefully I'll get somewhere as I bought the TV directly from Sony.

I sed these :-

I'm another one with a 2017 A1 with panel issues, got screen burn that won't go away after panel refresh,contacted Martin Dawes last night,will see what they come back with.
Martin Dawes were ignoring my emails so l contacted them today through there live chat only to be told they do not cover my area, they asked me to take TV to the only repair centre they have in Scotland, that's a 6 hour round trip for me.
I said that was unacceptable so they suggested l contact Sony direct.
Has anybody had any experience with Sony regarding a warranty claim for screen burn?
Hoping they don't try and fog me off , claiming it is user fault for staying on a channel to long with a logo,I have the radio 2 logo in middle of screen,shows up on a red background.

Martin Dawes were ignoring my emails so l contacted them today through there live chat only to be told they do not cover my area, they asked me to take TV to the only repair centre they have in Scotland, that's a 6 hour round trip for me.
I said that was unacceptable so they suggested l contact Sony direct.
Has anybody had any experience with Sony regarding a warranty claim for screen burn?
Hoping they don't try and fog me off , claiming it is user fault for staying on a channel to long with a logo,I have the radio 2 logo in middle of screen,shows up on a red background.
Not dealt with Sony about screen burn but a different issue. My first A1 TV (August) that only lasted 30 seconds before the flashing red light. TV was bought from Curry's online. I initially contacted Sony directly and they were willing to send out an engineer which was booked in, but subsequently Curry's performed a direct new replacement A few days later which I still have to date. So never used Sony in anger but seemed very willing to help.

Hi all

Need some help, I have a Sony A1 55' - I'm thinking of getting a Sonos Arc Soundbar to pair with it. Question I need help with is
"Does the A1 do Dolby Atmos via its ARC?

Has anyone managed to get this to work or have this set up - appreciate any support or feedback

Hi all

Need some help, I have a Sony A1 55' - I'm thinking of getting a Sonos Arc Soundbar to pair with it. Question I need help with is
"Does the A1 do Dolby Atmos via its ARC?

Has anyone managed to get this to work or have this set up - appreciate any support or feedback

My experience is that Netflix, Amazon Prime or Disney+ apps only provide Dolby+ not ATMOS over ARC, however interestingly I did get ATMOS over ARC with the TIDAL app using ATMOS albums. Perhaps a bandwidth thing where TIDAL is purely audio.

My experience is that Netflix, Amazon Prime or Disney+ apps only provide Dolby+ not ATMOS over ARC, however interestingly I did get ATMOS over ARC with the TIDAL app using ATMOS albums. Perhaps a bandwidth thing where TIDAL is purely audio.

Thanks for this, seems I will have to look at an alternative to the Sonos.

Just started watching Jack Ryan S1 on Amazon Prime again as my wife hasn't seen it and my amp (x6300h) is showing the sound in ATMOS!! Never had ATMOS through an app until now, apart from TIDAL.

Don't tell me that! I've just spent £1700 on a 55" Panasonic because the A1 WOULDN'T pass Atmos??

Don't tell me that! I've just spent £1700 on a 55" Panasonic because the A1 WOULDN'T pass Atmos??

:S well it seems the TV is technically capable of doing so. Never noticed before, the Amazon Prime app must have had an update at some point to allow it. Just double checked and Seasons 1 and 2 of Jack Ryan both work in ATMOS and Carnival Row and Suspiria. Not advertised as having ATMOS. There's an out of date list here:

Tried Netflix again and as expected no ATMOS. It'd be nice for an app update to allow it, but I believe only 2018 sony TVs are supported.

So you probably made the right choice if you wanted ATMOS from Netflix. TBH though it's inevitable that at some stage smart TVs will loose support and one will have to use external devices.

:S well it seems the TV is technically capable of doing so. Never noticed before, the Amazon Prime app must have had an update at some point to allow it. Just double checked and Seasons 1 and 2 of Jack Ryan both work in ATMOS and Carnival Row and Suspiria. Not advertised as having ATMOS. There's an out of date list here:

Tried Netflix again and as expected no ATMOS. It'd be nice for an app update to allow it, but I believe only 2018 sony TVs are supported.

So you probably made the right choice if you wanted ATMOS from Netflix. TBH though it's inevitable that at some stage smart TVs will loose support and one will have to use external devices.
Well, well, on the strength of these notes I am watching Jack Ryan Season 1 with my Anthem saying ATMOS, so in my mind this a Prime app for the sound, as I believe the model tv (65XE9305) I have does not support ATMOS
So if Prime can then Netflix need to up their game?

Done some more research. eARC is only required for Lossless ATMOS and Dolby TrueHD. Plain ARC (which the Sony A1 has) is capable of Lossy ATMOS using DD+ (lossy). So come on Netflix update our app to allow ATMOS!

Edit: I guess Amazon giveth with one hand, they take with the Other... as Jack Ryan S1 used to be in Dolby Vision, not so anymore.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom