Sony A1E OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Morning Toadus. I also watch a great deal of golf on my 55" AI albeit from the perspective of a 19 handicap! I have not seen the pink hues you are experiencing when watching. I had my A1 professionally calibrated after it had settled in for 3-4 months and the picture quality post calibration was and is superb. No doubt darker than I was used to watching but now everything else I see looks "unreal" compared to the A1. I might therefore suggest that the pink hue is something to do with your settings and could be improved by getting these checked out. My issue was, on panning shots of the ball coming in to the green, grey patches appeared briefly on the screen. I carried out a panel refresh and that did the trick so it must have been some sort of image retention. I'm not seeing that in your pictures. Glad you are enjoying the TV.

Thanks for the input Al. 19 isn't too bad! Keep at it... Need any tips?

I do a little calibration on the side with an i1Display colourometer, but it's not geared up for OLED so I can't get a really accurate read. The settings at the moment are the default Cinema Pro ones, and on a lot of context, they look fairly accurate. My meter also agrees with this, but I'm not going to change them until I get it properly referenced with a Spectro.

I doubt it's going to make much difference, a calibration that is, as the screen looks good in the middle, just not on the sides. This isn't much of an issue with movies, it just rears its ugly head with sports content.

Always!
ok - noted. Hopefully some of the others on the Forum who really know their stuff might be able to chip in ( see what I did there...)
Al

Hi, can anyone tell me if it's possible to get rid of/disable the volume message showing up? I'm using tv with Sonos playbar/sub/surround using optical and have checked that option in the sound settings on the tv. The problem is that when i turn the sound up or down or mute this annoying message "TV volume is fixed" keeps showing up and stays for a few seconds. This is not a life and death matter but is still very very annoying... Anyone..?

Last edited:
Perhaps a better pic to show the issue? Notice the change of green colour on the sides compared to the middle area which looks good. Also a random advert with an orange colour. Uniformity seems a bit off?

Attachments

• IMG_0598.JPG
    IMG_0598.JPG
    421.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0597.JPG
    IMG_0597.JPG
    423.7 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Hi, can anyone tell me if it's possible to get rid of/disable the volume message showing up? I'm using tv with Sonos playbar/sub/surround using optical and have checked that option in the sound settings on the tv. The problem is that when i turn the sound up or down or mute this annoying message "TV volume is fixed" keeps showing up and stays for a few seconds. This is not a life and death matter but is still very very annoying... Anyone..?

Hi - it sounds like you are using the original Sony TV remote to send IR volume commands to the Sonos (I assume because the Sonos can learn IR signals). I don't think there is a solution if you want to keep using the Sony remote - my old Sony TV used to be exactly the same if the internal speakers were disabled.

If you used a universal remote (e.g. Harmony) you could set it up with volume IR commands from a different manufacturer but I appreciate that's probably not an attractive solution!

I hope for your sake that I am wrong and perhaps there is some way now to disable that message.

Thanks for the input Al. 19 isn't too bad! Keep at it... Need any tips?

I do a little calibration on the side with an i1Display colourometer, but it's not geared up for OLED so I can't get a really accurate read. The settings at the moment are the default Cinema Pro ones, and on a lot of context, they look fairly accurate. My meter also agrees with this, but I'm not going to change them until I get it properly referenced with a Spectro.

I doubt it's going to make much difference, a calibration that is, as the screen looks good in the middle, just not on the sides. This isn't much of an issue with movies, it just rears its ugly head with sports content.
In theory I agree with you. However, in practice a calibration can remove the tint without you noticing that the untinted parts are off somewhat.

I had this exact problem, but after a calibration the tinting was almost gone and the other parts of the screen looks just as good as before the calibration.

In theory I agree with you. However, in practice a calibration can remove the tint without you noticing that the untinted parts are off somewhat.

I had this exact problem, but after a calibration the tinting was almost gone and the other parts of the screen looks just as good as before the calibration.

I do a little bit of calibration myself and it's currently fairly accurate. There's a couple of things which make this problem of mine interesting. 1) The off-colour green only affects certain shades of green. 2) If you view from just 2 one 3 feet from the screen, the issue disappears. Any thoughts?

Hey all, been reading this threat since I got my A1 (55). Love it.

I've finally purchased a HDMI cable to hook up my PC to the TV (via the Samsung HW-K950 soundbar) and I've got Atmos and HDR working, however I can't seem to get the TV to switch to 24hz. The PC is set to 24hz however the display info on the TV just says 3840 × 2160. When I'm using the xbox to stream media I see the TV display 3840 × 2160 24p.

Is there anyway to manually force the TV to 24p?

Thanks!

Usually the picture comes on before the sound. Tonight the sound comes on and then the picture after a slight delay. Is this because it's trying to run a comp cycle? My last tv's picture went out, so it's freaking me out.

Looks like there were issues with latest firmware.

Firmware update to v6.5603 | Sony UK

“IMPORTANT:
We would like to inform you that we’ve decided to temporarily delay the rollout of the below announced firmware update. Our engineers are still fine-tuning the firmware to ensure the best possible experience with the new release. We will update this article with a new update schedule as soon as possible. For the latest developments, we recommend bookmarking this page. Alternatively, you can add your model to the Support by Sony mobile app to receive an instant product notification. We'd like to thank you for your understanding and patience.(Added on 20-06-2018)”

It certainly did mess up my 9405, maybe thats why, maybe the ongoing dimming issue on the a1, who knows.

Anyone who uses the roku +, are there any issues if wall mounted, space wise? Just checking before I splash £60 impulsively!

Looks like there were issues with latest firmware.

Firmware update to v6.5603 | Sony UK

“IMPORTANT:
We would like to inform you that we’ve decided to temporarily delay the rollout of the below announced firmware update. Our engineers are still fine-tuning the firmware to ensure the best possible experience with the new release. We will update this article with a new update schedule as soon as possible. For the latest developments, we recommend bookmarking this page. Alternatively, you can add your model to the Support by Sony mobile app to receive an instant product notification. We'd like to thank you for your understanding and patience.(Added on 20-06-2018)”

It certainly did mess up my 9405, maybe thats why, maybe the ongoing dimming issue on the a1, who knows.

This firmware was not pulled for A1 it is working fine, I have it running fine on my A1. However the 'dimming on HDR' fix in this update is different from what we are experiencing with football. It seems the ASBL is kicking in because of the static image of the football scores/time in the corner.

Anyone who uses the roku +, are there any issues if wall mounted, space wise? Just checking before I splash £60 impulsively!

I have it wall mounted and the Ruko + stick is fine. Slots up into the slot and doesn't hang below the screen. USB port under it for power too.

This firmware was not pulled for A1 it is working fine, I have it running fine on my A1. However the 'dimming on HDR' fix in this update is different from what we are experiencing with football. It seems the ASBL is kicking in because of the static image of the football scores/time in the corner.
Yes it was. You can not download it anymore from the sony website
I have it on my a1 as well, no issues on that.
Please see the link I posted.

Perhaps a better pic to show the issue? Notice the change of green colour on the sides compared to the middle area which looks good. Also a random advert with an orange colour. Uniformity seems a bit off?

Hi just a thought, you don't have speakers mounted really close to the TV do you, where the magnets in them could affect the picture? Not sure if this still happens but it used to play havoc with older CRT tvs?

I do a little bit of calibration myself and it's currently fairly accurate. There's a couple of things which make this problem of mine interesting. 1) The off-colour green only affects certain shades of green. 2) If you view from just 2 one 3 feet from the screen, the issue disappears. Any thoughts?
Yes, the tint is heavily dependent on your viewing angle.

If you have problems after a calibration I would experiment with lowering the associated primaries somewhat. Even though the result will measure worse your perception might prefer that overall picture.

Also make sure that your set has a 2018 panel and not a 2017 since both tinting and vertical banding are improved in the 2018 panels!

I will return my second exhange from autumn 2017 this autumn to make sure that my exchange has a 2018 panel for this very reason btw...

Does anyone else’s Roku stick seem to get hot? Mines a nightmare. Even had a couple of over heating warnings

Does anyone else’s Roku stick seem to get hot? Mines a nightmare. Even had a couple of over heating warnings

Yes, had the overheating warning myself after streaming 4k for over 2 hours. Might be because the stick is in a fairly enclosed space if plugged directly into the HDMI port.

Roku will send out a HDMI extender for free (Roku) but did a bit of digging and as it’s only 4” decided to buy a 1m HDMI extender to get it out of the tray on the back of the A1 and into the open air.. At the very least will make it easier to power down if it overheats again:)

Just noticed that Roku link doesn’t work. Just google “Roku overheating” and follow the links from the Roku support article..

Ps. With the announcement this morning that Wimbledon is also going to be broadcast in 4k by the BBC, makes the £60 for the Roku almost worthwhile already!

Last edited:
Hi just a thought, you don't have speakers mounted really close to the TV do you, where the magnets in them could affect the picture? Not sure if this still happens but it used to play havoc with older CRT tvs?

Thanks for your input. No, no speakers currently present. I've decided to raise a case with Sony and I've also logged it with John Lewis who I bought it from two weeks ago.

More examples attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0600.JPG
    IMG_0600.JPG
    461.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0601.JPG
    IMG_0601.JPG
    515.1 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0603.JPG
    IMG_0603.JPG
    459.9 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0604.JPG