Sony A1E OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Btw, after the factor reset, after setting

Thanks mate - all useful info - still tinkering but unfortunately the volume control is effectively useless when using TV is through an AVR. You can still increment up and down 1 notch via CEC but can not set specific numbers.

Can't recommend a Harmony Elite enough - you won't be disappointed. I remember it seemed stonkingly expensive at the time (several years ago now) but have 0 regrets; one of the best pieces of tech I ever bought. And you soon get over the treating it like it's made of china phase :)
you're welcome!

Harmony Elite is currently at 165 euros on amazon in Italy (about 140£), and I think that's a really good price! I'll seriously think about it!

That's good to know as I have the Oppo 203. I also have the Oppo routed through a Yamaha 2700 soundbar which has 4k pass through and a month or so ago had a f/w update to allow it to pass through DV. Does anyone know whether the DV pass through will work for the low latency Sony DV version? I am close to having the TV delivering DV and the Oppo via HDMI but will I be scuppered by the Soundbar not being able to pass through from the Oppo and requiring another f/w update before it does so??
The soundbar shouldn't stop the Sony DV passing through, my Yamaha amp has no bother.

What do you mean? for DV support? Oppo will be releasing a DV update to support the Sony DV.

My HDR is working fine and my nephew who also own the Sony Oled and oppo 203 his is working fine to.

Thanks
No the Sony Oled has loads of problems and Oppo have been flooded with calls.

Samv0808 passed on that in AVSForums some Pro calibrators were recommending Expert 1. This is also what it defaults to if you click "Reset". Some are saying though it might be a bit too yellow. I'm going to stick with Expert 1 for now.
I have done quite a bit of testing and I am going to stick with Expert 1 for now I think until some concrete info comes out. I can see what people are saying but I see a similar behaviour switching between expert 1 and neutral even on non DV sources so I’ll put it down to being the best way to have it for now. Neutral is just too cold and blue tinted for me personally.

Following the USB update Netflix presented a blank screen despite stuff like Amazon appearing to work. A Settings menu restart which looks like a hard-reboot as you can see Android starting restored Netflix.

OMG! DolbyVision enabled Netflix full 4k video looks fabulous and let's face it the TV's image performance wasn't exactly shabby before. Very impressed, blown away in fact.

Good to know. Half way there then. And DV. Not bad
Dolby Vision is great. The colors are much more saturated and cinematic than in HDR! Re-watched parts of Stranger Things immediately after updating, sublime!

I wonder if I should buy the Oppo 203 soon or wait for the new Pana UB820?

On the other hand there are very few discs available but I’d like to watch the new Star Wars movie in DV. Am I crazy if I buy the Oppo just for that movie :) ?

I have done quite a bit of testing and I am going to stick with Expert 1 for now I think until some concrete info comes out. I can see what people are saying but I see a similar behaviour switching between expert 1 and neutral even on non DV sources so I’ll put it down to being the best way to have it for now. Neutral is just too cold and blue tinted for me personally.

Just curious if anyone has tried “Color temperature” Warm. It’s in between Neutral and Expert 1. I find it to be a happy medium between too blue and too yellow.

Dan

Is there any Dolby Vision disc in the UK region that anyone can recommend as most just state Dolby Atmos and just HDR.

Just curious if anyone has tried “Color temperature” Warm. It’s in between Neutral and Expert 1. I find it to be a happy medium between too blue and too yellow.

Dan
Mh, I'll give it a try.

Dolby Vision is great. The colors are much more saturated and cinematic than in HDR! Re-watched parts of Stranger Things immediately after updating, sublime!

I wonder if I should buy the Oppo 203 soon or wait for the new Pana UB820?watching it till the OPPO update.

On the other hand there are very few discs available but I’d like to watch the new Star Wars movie in DV. Am I crazy if I buy the Oppo just for that movie :) ?
Not to me. I would if I hadn’t already. I have the steel book on order but I won’t be watching till the OPPO is updated.

Is there any Dolby Vision disc in the UK region that anyone can recommend as most just state Dolby Atmos and just HDR.

All Transformers Films, FF8, Justice League are the ones I have ... awaiting Oppo to see the in their DV glory though.

Following the USB update Netflix presented a blank screen despite stuff like Amazon appearing to work. A Settings menu restart which looks like a hard-reboot as you can see Android starting restored Netflix.

OMG! DolbyVision enabled Netflix full 4k video looks fabulous and let's face it the TV's image performance wasn't exactly shabby before. Very impressed, blown away in fact.

Yeah my wife and kids were saying the Netflix app would just show a black screen after a few seconds starting a program.. I saw it myself too, but after a reset haven't seen it since which is good.

I also think DV on Netflix looks fabulous, but it did before in HDR10. It is definitely an upgrade, but IMHO not a massive upgrade. As expected it has given dark scenes more detail and colours definitely pop more and colours are better. I caveat that because I haven't seen an unrestricted DV bitrate video like UHD Blu-ray to fully give it legs.

So how does it compare to hardware enables DV like that on LG TVs?

Does the Sony light DV do the job? Certainly looks great.

Gents, I have a question: if you wall mount the A1, how big is the typical gap from screen to wall (assuming a standard slim mount is used). Also, is it relatively easy to do? I have seen a few comments that the rear subwoofer stand causes issues. I’m torn between buying an A1 now for abt £3,000 or waiting for the A8F when it releases in the UK. I know it will likely be more ££s, but from what I have seen it should be a more standard mounting setup.

I’m delighted to see the DV update seems to be generally well received by you all, it’s what I’ve been waiting on before biting the bullet.

I think the A8F should be cheaper. The A1 will still be the flagship TV and the A8F positioned under it.

My A1s screen sits 110mm from the wall, using a standard wall mount. Didn’t have a problem setting up the wall mount. The fixings on the back of the TV are standard VESA. All very straight forward.

Gents, I have a question: if you wall mount the A1, how big is the typical gap from screen to wall (assuming a standard slim mount is used). Also, is it relatively easy to do? I have seen a few comments that the rear subwoofer stand causes issues. I’m torn between buying an A1 now for abt £3,000 or waiting for the A8F when it releases in the UK. I know it will likely be more ££s, but from what I have seen it should be a more standard mounting setup.

I’m delighted to see the DV update seems to be generally well received by you all, it’s what I’ve been waiting on before biting the bullet.

The AF8 will release at £3299 for the 65

DSC_0001_BURST20180331140229091.JPG DSC_0033.JPG I purchased this wall mount for my 55" A1 and it is perfect.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FJULVG2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My TV screen is 100mm from wall ,hope this helps with your decision.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom