Question Sony A1 ?

Bond Villain

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

New boy here. At last I have got my own detached house that has a generous size living room 5m x 4m ( TV will go on the 4m wall that has a door at the far left side).

Mrs Bond Villain has said I’m allowed a 65” TV and surround sound. I have done a bit of research but want some guidance for those happy to give any.

I love the look of the Sony A1 and it’s now £3999. I would want to wall mount it, I don’t thing the TV being slightly sticky out would be a problem. So here are my questions

1, Is 65” a good size for sitting about 4m away
2, Do i need, or should I wait for HDMI 2.1? ( I don’t know what it does)
3, I want to connect the following PS4, UHD Blu Ray, SKY Q, Apple TV 4K and maybe an XBOX one x. I read that the TV only has 2 4K connectors? So I would need an Sony DN1080? Which is good for the surround sound set up ( 2 ceiling Speakers + 5)
4, Is OLED going to cause me issues with burn in on the PS4? Maybe ZD9
5, Is lag a problem?
6, Anythiong else to talk me out of of it? Or Into it?

Thanks for any help!!

BV

1, Is 65” a good size for sitting about 4m away

If you want to take advantage of UHD the most you can, you want to view a lot closer. Recommending viewing distance for UHD at 65" is around 1.2m away, at 2.4m you start too lose even seeing a difference. So I would say you should definitely go for a 75" model if you can.

2, Do i need, or should I wait for HDMI 2.1? ( I don’t know what it does)
HDMI 2.1 will bring High Frame Rate, Dynamic Frame rate and HDR without current bandwidth limitations, in practice that won't be used for a good few years even after we see TV's released with it supported. I would think about what suits you now, don't try to future proof.

3, I want to connect the following PS4, UHD Blu Ray, SKY Q, Apple TV 4K and maybe an XBOX one x. I read that the TV only has 2 4K connectors? So I would need an Sony DN1080? Which is good for the surround sound set up ( 2 ceiling Speakers + 5)
Where did you read this? It will have 4x HDMI 2.0a connectors. I would always recommend pairing a TV with a sound system but if there ever was a case not too it would be someone buying the A1 since it has already impressive integrated sound. You could save a lot of money and invest instead on external sound that will be better by going for one of LGs OLEDs instead.

4, Is OLED going to cause me issues with burn in on the PS4? Maybe ZD9
No not really, not unless you are planning on leaving the tv with a static image for a lengthy amount of time, in a regular pattern. If you play the same game with a static hud in the corner for 8 hours each day, for 5 days a week maybe. You may see temporary image retention but it clears by itself.

5, Is lag a problem?
Input lag? Not really on this years TVs, anything sub 50ms is fine for all but twitch gamers.

6, Anythiong else to talk me out of of it? Or Into it?
I am guessing you can't afford the 77" Sony A1, but unless you can view closer to the screen I would seriously consider instead getting a 75" ZD9 (if within budget) or 75" XE94 instead..just because at such a long way from the TV, you are going to need that extra screen size.

In fact I would argue a PJ set up would be a good option if you can control the light in the room.

1. At 4m you can go as big as possible. 65" is certainly not too small but you could easily go for the biggest TV on the market, or a projector, without it being overwhelming.

2. Variable refresh rate support for gaming should be rather nice, it certainly makes PC gaming noticeably smoother.

4. I wouldn't have thought so, unless you really like one particular game. The joint-flagship ZD9 is certainly worth considering though.

5. No.

If you want to take advantage of UHD the most you can, you want to view a lot closer. Recommending viewing distance for UHD at 65" is around 1.2m away, at 2.4m you start too lose even seeing a difference. So I would say you should definitely go for a 75" model if you can.

Thanks for the reply. Sadly after making cardboard cutouts of diffrent screen sizes Mrs BV was only happy with 65” and no bigger, and I wish I could afford the 77”!!

I would maybe use a spare seat for gaming closer, kinda surprised you would sit with a 65” 1.5meters away!!

Thanks for the reply. Sadly after making cardboard cutouts of diffrent screen sizes Mrs BV was only happy with 65” and no bigger, and I wish I could afford the 77”!!

I would maybe use a spare seat for gaming closer, kinda surprised you would sit with a 65” 1.5meters away!!

I would echo what others have said about 75" being better from that distance, I sit roughly 3m away from my 65" and would like to bigger next time.

As for which TV, unless the best possible HDR experience is particularly important to you (go for the ZD9 in that case) then I would argue that the Sony A1 is the best TV money can buy.

I would echo what others have said about 75" being better from that distance, I sit roughly 3m away from my 65" and would like to bigger next time.

As for which TV, unless the best possible HDR experience is particularly important to you (go for the ZD9 in that case) then I would argue that the Sony A1 is the best TV money can buy.

75” is just not an option, I really am pushing it with a 65”.

TV use Is movies & Gran Turismo (13 days to go)

@Bond Villain I was going to join all the others in pushing you towards at least a 75", and I speak from experience in the parlour and kitchen, see my signature. But I see that I'm too late! Enjoy your Sony 65A1 - I presume that you've not splashed out twenty grand on the 77A1!!

@Bond Villain I was going to join all the others in pushing you towards at least a 75", and I speak from experience in the parlour and kitchen, see my signature. But I see that I'm too late! Enjoy your Sony 65A1 - I presume that you've not splashed out twenty grand on the 77A1!!

I would love a 75” but mrs BV is very against it! I’m amazed she was happy with the 65”.. it’s a big step from the 7 year old 40” we currently have.

Now time to work out what surround sound set up/soundbar to get.

I would get the 65 LG B7 or C7. If you want external sound then A1 is a bit of a waste..its completely overpriced for what you get imo.

@Bond Villain I've just checked Richer Sounds's prices. The Sony 65A1 is £3999, the LG 65B7 is £2799. Are you sure that the 65A1 is £1200 better than the 65B7? Speaking of sound, you could buy a surround-sound receiver and 5.1 speaker set for £1200 ..... And by the way, the Sony 65ZD9 is now down to £3099, and it's still a fantastic television ...... Review of the 65A1 here Sony BRAVIA KD-65A1 HDR 4K OLED TV Review, review of the 55" LG B7 here LG 55B7 4K OLED TV Review. and review of the sony 65ZD9 here Sony BRAVIA ZD9 (KD-65ZD9) UHD 4K TV Review.

@Bond Villain I've just checked Richer Sounds's prices. The Sony 65A1 is £3999, the LG 65B7 is £2799. Are you sure that the 65A1 is £1200 better than the 65B7? Speaking of sound, you could buy a surround-sound receiver and 5.1 speaker set for £1200 ..... And by the way, the Sony 65ZD9 is now down to £3099, and it's still a fantastic television ...... Review of the 65A1 here Sony BRAVIA KD-65A1 HDR 4K OLED TV Review, review of the 55" LG B7 here LG 55B7 4K OLED TV Review. and review of the sony 65ZD9 here Sony BRAVIA ZD9 (KD-65ZD9) UHD 4K TV Review.

Hi, the A1 at £3999 was on 24 months interest free. The ZD9 was not, and even though the base price was £3099, with interest would have been £3650. So the question for me was was the A1 worth £350 more?

As I wasn’t to add surround sound the interest free has let me spend the remaining funds on the other items needed.

Will be amazing if you kindly write some review about the TV you ordered.
Extremely interesting how this tv works with PS4 Pro

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom