Sony A- fit Lenses to rekindle my interest.

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Doctor27, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Doctor27

Doctor27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hello all,

I want to get back into photography, as I have really lapsed over the last 18 months plus. Finding the woman of your dreams and having a baby can do that!
    I used to be, if not a prolific then consistent amateur and have taken hundredss of photos and have a hard drive full of folders.
    As I have had a tendancy to be indiscriminate about what I shoot and the technicalities of photography have often bamboozled me, I want to hang on to my current kit, but expand so I can grow a bit more in confidence.

I have a Sony A330 with kit lens and two zoom lenses. I was thinking of a wide angle lens, and have seen an 11-18mm Sony and its Sigma equivalent. There is also a more expensive Sigma which I assume is due the f/stop difference. I do like landscape photography and think the f/stop range would help me in low light(?).

Would any of these lenses benefit me?

2. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    Without knowing what other lenses you have, and what your budget is it's difficult to offer further advice. I don't find the speed of a lens particularly important for landscapes tbh as you tend to shoot at f8 or higher for your traditional landscape shots and use a tripod, especially when light is low to help keep ISO down when using small apertures. The only time I can see the need for wide aperture landscape lenses is for arty shots, or interior handheld shots. That being said a number of f2.8 wide angle lenses fall into the 'pro' category and as such often have better optics, better build etc.

3. Faldrax

Faldrax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +535
    With a wide angle lens you can happily shoot at much larger apertures, unless you need something close to be in focus, as DOF is so large (EG on FF 24mm f/2.8, subject at 10m, near focus = 4.05m, DOF infinite!).
    A lot of the time you will stop down anyway for landscape, as you actually want a longer shutter speed, but there are occasions when a shorter speed is useful (EG in twilight, as you suggested).

Personally, before buying any Sony fir lens I like to check the Dyxum lens database

Alpha A-mount and E-mount lenses guide

as this gives an indication of how other user view the lens - remember these are written by people who have bought the lens, so have a certain element of bias, but it does allow comparison of similar lenses.

The three you list all have similar totals, so there's not a great deal between them, but reading individual reviews may indicate particular strengths or weaknesses.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Doctor27

Doctor27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks for the replies guys.

My other lenses are a Sony 50mm prime, Sony 75-300mm & Tamron 55-200mm. I have a budget of £250 but could stretch it a bit.

5. salparadise

salparadise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I hope you don't mind me tagging a similar question into your thread Doctor27 but it will save me starting a fresh one?

I am looking for a suitable lens for capturing some photographs of wildlife with an emphasis on birds.

I don't have a large budget and definitely consider myself a complete novice so if anyone knows of a lens suitable for a beginner in both skill and budget for a Sony A580 I would appreciate it? Thanks and apologies for the thread hijack!

6. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    What do you class as a large budget? The 55-300mm can be had very cheap and can produce some good images. AF can hunt a bit, but for the price if perfectly acceptable. The next obvious choice would be the 70-300G but that's more expensive. Ideally for birding you could do with more reach though so the Sigma 150-500mm might be a better bet, and then of course there's the Tamron and Sigma 150-600mm's but you're going up in price again.

These were taken with the 55-300mm, although it was right at the start of my photography so not the best examples,..... by a long way :blush:

[​IMG]DSC08181 by TDG-77, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSC09019 by TDG-77, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSC09101 by TDG-77, on Flickr

And some non bird shots taken with the 55-300mm

[​IMG]DSC03830 by TDG-77, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSC03924 by TDG-77, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSC03289-2 by TDG-77, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSC03321-4 by TDG-77, on Flickr

7. salparadise

salparadise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    having had a quick look over the lenses to mention I quite like the sound of the sigma 150-500 albeit at more cost than I initially wanted to spend. I will spend some time looking at the other lenses and see whether one of the cheaper lenses is a better bet at this stage. Many thanks for the reply and for showing what the 55-300 is capable of.

8. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,826
    Also have a look at the Sigma 100-300mm F4 and possibly adding a 1.4x Teleconverter for additional reach