Sony A-100 Compact Flash memory help

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Greg Hook, May 1, 2007.

1. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +11,748
    Just about to re-order a memory card for my soon to arrive Sony A-100. I had previously gone for a CF 4gb card which was unfortunately out of stock, but have decided to swap it for this one:

http://www.memorybits.co.uk/shop/co...sh-ipro-40x-high-speed-card-camcf4gbipro/4243

My only concern is the part where it says:
    'The 4GB iPro Compact Flash card is only supported by FAT32 devices and must be formatted to FAT32 '

Will this still work ok in the Sony A100?

Thanks
    Greg

2. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Hard to say on this face of it .. but given the recent age of the A100 it is more than likely
    at any rate it says so

Here

(look at the column that says: storage)

Saying that, Im a bit wary of 4Gb cards , A bit like putting all of ones eggs in the same basket

3. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,748
    Thanks for that Senu. According to that it definitely says it supports FAT 32.

I see what you mean about keeping your eggs in one basket, but I tend to lose things so if I had more memory cards I would probably end up losing one, so if it stays in the camera it will be safe!

Thanks
    Greg

4. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Lo Greg mate, Lens is in the post (have PM'd you).

The card looks fine, not heard of the make, I tend to stick to well known brands such as Sandisc. www.mymemory.co.uk are usually pretty good price-wise.
    I tend to agree with senu on the 'all eggs in one basket syndrome' and currently stick to 2gb cards. Having said that, once you start using Raw picture format the file sizes are much larger and they do fill up quickly.

Btw, make sure the camera has the latest firmware when it arrives (probably 1.03 or 1.04 on the camera). There's no reason why it shouldn't be this, but, if not, update instructions are here ...
    http://support.sony-europe.com/DIME/digistill/alpha/firmware/firmware.asp?l=en

Cheers,

Simon.

5. Pirate!!

Pirate!!
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    Ahoy!

Ordered one of these and delivered promptly. Perfectly OK for normal condition use. I've read my cameras instructions, and I can't take rapid fire shots in RAW mode, only JPEG, so the card's speed rating is irrelivant. Read/write speed is 1.5Mb/sec.

6. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,748
    OK, so I have just got this card as mentioned above.

The camera takes a picture fine and shows on the LCD screen. It can then take a few more. But sometimes when I go back to view the photos taken, it says unable to display, then card error. Formatting the card in the camera brings it back to life but it does it again. Sometimes formatting brings a card error, sometimes it formats it ok. As soon as I try and delete a photo it all goes wrong and says card error etc.

Now I know the card I purchased clearly states it needs a FAT32 device and must be formatted to FAT32 to work properly. But the Sony website and everywhere else clearly states the camera supports FAT32.

Is there some other setting I need to change to get the camera to format it in FAT32, or is this something I need to do on my PC?

Thanks
    Greg