1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 999 VS Pioneer 868

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by friend, Mar 14, 2004.

1. friend

friend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One month ago i bought an Infocus 7200 projector.
    At the moment the 7200 is coupled with a Sony 7700 dvd player.
    I think that the sony player is old and in a way degrades my projectors picture quality. Is that true ?

Thus, i am going to buy a new dvd player but i haven't decided which one (Sony 999 or Pioneer 868) to select.
    I will use only component output !!!! not dvi. (my set up does not have dvi)

My main concern is picture quality !!!!

I am looking forward to hear your recomendations
    Thanks in advance

Friend:hiya:

2. friend

friend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any opinion ?

3. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    i think only a demo will divide these two.

the pioneer has CUE which is a bit of a pain with a PJ,but im not sure about the sony.

if you ever plan to upgrade your system at least the pioneer is more future proof with HDMI and I-link.

so smart money would probaly be with the pioneer unless you can get the sony at a great price which i think you can now.
    Im sure ive seen it at half price of the pioneer.

for best sony price.

http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=1583

these are good suppliers, though you may still need to get it to multiregion. But is still a good price.

4. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

The Infocus 7200 has a native resolution of 1280 x 720, so if I owned your projector I would be looking at feeding it a 720p signal, not the 480p which standard progressive scan players provide.

I know the Pioneer 868 has an internal scaler capable of outputting 720p, but I don't know if it can output this through it's component outputs, or whether it only sends this signal through it's HDMI output. If it can output 720p via component, then this player is well worth checking out.

The Sony 7700 was a great player in it's day (and still is). It's interlaced video quality is excellent and is more than a match for the interlaced outputs of many of todays players. The Infocus 7200 has a good quality Faroudja DCDi scaler, which upconverts the Sony's incoming 480i signal to 720p. Given the quality of the Sony and the internal DCDi scaler, the picture quality you are currently watching won't be as compromised as you probably think.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    HDMI only.

6. friend

friend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for your replies.
    gandley i know the place and the price is extremely good.

Do you believe that a better dvd player like the two mentioned above will not upgrade significantly the picture quality of the projector ?

7. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    I dont think youll see a majour improvemnt as its best to send your PJ an interlaced signal via component to take advantage of the faroudja chipset that will scale the pic to 720p anyway and probaly do a better job than a dvd player will.

i personaly dont know the sony model you own at present, but i do think you will see some improvement, as the later models do deliver a sharper beter detailed picture