1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 999 v 9000

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by fufna, Sep 22, 2003.

1. fufna

fufna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just come back from a quite enlightening demo of the new Sony tip top SACD/DVD player.

I dragged my 9000 in to do a side by side eyeball (very excited, I've been waiting for the update to the 9000 for a while now)

To say I was underwhelmed would be an understatement.
    OK it's £300 cheaper than the 9000 was at launch (£1000 vs £1300) but it's just not as good :(

The image through an AE300 (I tried to recreate my home setup as best I could) was very sharp just like the 9000 but it seemed to be slightly flat.. sort of lacking in depth.
    Both were then connected to a Leowe 32" (not sure of the model but pure white "jetsons" style one!) and I had a side by side look.
    With Fifth Element in the trays, the 9000 came out top again (in almost all areas I could tell)

Needless to say I kept my card in my pocket and shuffled off home a little gutted.. after mr AV salesman tried to sell me a 757 and an A1 instead!

After 2 odd years of tinkering I expected a lot more.
    It didn't even look or feel like it should for £1000.

2. Miles@9

Miles@9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that post Fufna.

It's a question that I was going to post - I have the same dilema,
    to keep the 9000 or replace with 999. Also thinking of replacing my 725 with the new 930. In both cases getting SACD multi and disk restart memory.

But it would seem that the newer models (all manafactures not just Sony) are not as well constructed as those of a few years ago.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't think the picture was up to the 9000. I'll save my pennies for another toy.

Miles.

3. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That's interesting and rather disappointing as I had the new 999ES in my sights too.

However, last weekend I also found out that the 999ES's bass management on SACD is rather flawed IMO - the problem is that it only offers a crossover frequency of 120Hz!! This might be okay for small sub/sat set ups but this is a audio/videophile ES machine so an 80Hz crossover would have been far more appropriate.

So that's now two black marks against it - that leaves the Denon 2900 and the Pioneer 757i on my list. It's a shame as I quite fancied the 999ES.

Matt.

4. fufna

fufna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never knew about that problem... seems it just gets worse!

Obviously it has advantages over the 9000 (so it should being an entirely new generation model) seems like Sony are ripe for shooting themselves in the foot yet again!

I reckon anyone looking for an ES machine should have a stab at a second hand 9000 for half the cost of a 999
    (of course you'll lose some of the MC features)