Sony 940 - know this is an often-discussed topic...

C

cozzer

sam,

not sure if this will help but i had a similar situation with my 930. ever since i bought it, it had a distortion coming from the rear right speaker that seemed to disappear after an hour of use. i sent it back to the sony centre (where it was bought from) while still under guarantee and they said they couldn't find a fault. but lo and behold, there it was.
i convinced myself that it must be another part of my system. after checking every other part of my kit (and by this time, the sony guarantee had run out - nice), it had to be the amp. it went in to 2 independent electronic repair companies and each time it came back "there is no problem".
eventually, by accident, i found out what the problem was - the crackle only appeared if ALL the channels were running. the repair shops had obviously only hooked up the rear right speaker and there was therefore no crackle (i think that problem was to do with the power supply - a faulty capacitor or something). the repair shop rang sony who asked what the serial number was before faxing over a ready made modification sheet - obviously sony were aware of this problem but the sony centr where it originally went to had done nothing about it! the amp was fixed in 20 monutes for a small fee and has been a great performer ever since.
so, while this probably has nothing to do with your problem, it might be worth persisting and insisting that sony or whoever the repair shop is actually set up the amp and run it under home conditions - ie with all the channels running and not just the rears.
sorry about the rant but for over a year this problem bugged the hell out of me, yet everyone i took it to said there ws nothing wrong with the amp.
keep plugging away - someone will eventually listen to you!

cozzer

Hi,

I had the same problem in my 930, I was getting a hissing from my from L/R speakers.

It went back to the Sony repair centre, where they could not find a fault, but they had made some "modifications" anyway.

Fortunately, when I got it back, the hiss was gone and has been working ever since, about 9 months.

My advice is to keep pushing Sony, as they "know" that there is a problem.

Stephen.

...but I have a prob and help would be greatly appreaciated!

I've found it impossible to live with the hissing from the speakers which was most noticeable in DPL mode (though hardly noticeable at all in analogue direct mode). So, I contacted unbeatable.co.uk who I purchased the amp from to get it repaired. 2 and a half weeks later, they phoned me to say that the repair centre can't find a fault.

Will Sony admit a problem, how do I go about showing unbeatable that it is a recognised problem? I don't want it to come back as before?!?!?!?!?

please help :(

Thanks mateys, I'm just worried that Sony will deny all knowledge of a fault and I'll just get the amp back as before (except for the inevitable scartch or dent from the 'repair' work :mad: ) :(

Anyone else know of anything that would help my plight?

Thanks all.

Sam

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom