1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 930v or Cambridge Azur 540d??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by speedfreak, Sep 12, 2004.

1. speedfreak

speedfreak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am after a new dvd player to hook up to a new lcd tv via component. I know that the sony plays SACD and the Cambridge DVD Audio, but i'm not really too worried about that. I just want to know which out of the two has the best pictur. Or if you can reccommend something else which is better for similar money(maybe the Denon 770d) then i would appreciate it.

Conor

2. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried the Cambridge Audio player. It really is a brilliant machine that also looks the business. However, it gave everything I watched a green tinge via RGB. I spoke to the people at CA and they said they were aware of it. It happens with some TV's but not others. Mine's a Toshiba 40" RPTV. However, please remember that I was using RGB via scart and not component like you will be. There well be no problem via component...

3. speedfreak

speedfreak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    In terms of overall build quality, how did you find it? I have heard good things about it. Also, have you tried any other players in that price range?

4. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I loved it and it broke my heart to have to take it back to RS... :( However, thinking about it, i had the green tinge through S Video as well... :thumbsdow Buildwise, it was very good. Nice and heavy.
    I'm now using a Pioneer 565, which isn't in the CA's class build quality wise...but for me, the PQ and sound are better.
    The CA played all the discs I put in it (including RCE) but IIRC, the DVD audio bass management was limited.
    Another thing that supprised me is it was running the same software as a Toshiba 530...so maybe a Toshiba clone...?

5. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not tried that exact sony machine but I can only say good things about all the models it has replaced, as the QS range player. It always seems a bit odd to me that a brand would only sell to one chain in quite a big spending country, that has always been my concern with cambridge audio.

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    The fundamental software is similar as you know as well as I do that 95% of the worlds DVD players share five basic firmware providers- its what you do on top of the software that makes a difference ;).

No great mystery AP is ten years old this year and the money that set it up in the first place came from RS. Mordaunt Short was bought in '99 with no RS money so has a more flexible sales policy.

7. speedfreak

speedfreak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmm, not looking so good for the Azur then. If it has problems with scart and s-video theen maybe there are some issue, especially as i will have sky running through scart to the screen.

8. Carl Stock

Carl Stock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hi. :)

Many DVD players of different makes share similar software/firmware, and it is true that it is what is added to this – the hardware – is what separates the different makes and models of DVD players. There are some budget brands that use the same menu system appearance of the Cambridge Audio DVD players, but the hardware is very, very different! DACs, the socketry and so on are very different in CA players compared with, say, the Compacks DVD5000 and some Bush models I have noticed. Indeed, the Compacks DVD5000 even looks like the CA 50 series – similar cases were used – but it’s not the same inside. That’s caught a lot of people out, which I guess is understandable from first impressions. However, there’s a very big difference the CA models and the Compacks!

I know from other message boards that some people were furious after thinking they bought a CA 50 series player that was really just a ‘more expensive’ Compacks DVD5000, which was not true. Also, with the very different looking CA 540D, we have a very different looking machine from the outside but has much the same on screen menu systems, etc., as the 50 series and Compacks DVD5000. But it’s still far, far better than the Compacks and obviously a little more sophisticated than the CA 50 series because its insides are an improvement on the CA 50 series.

Basically, don’t take too much notice of on screen graphics and cases. It’s what’s inside that counts. ;) hehe I can understand how confusing it can be too see apparently similar models at very different prices and that sometimes it can be the case that some electrical equipment is just overpriced versions of cheaper stuff, but that’s not the case with CA equipment. I have lots of CA stuff – and other Audio Partnership products (the company behind CA) – and it’s all very good and great value for money. I have a 540A amplifier, and it’s built like a tank – it’s so heavy and looks like a massive (nice looking!) lump of metal!

Sorry if this has been a bit patronising! :)

Regards,

Carl :)