1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 930 - repair or replace?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by retrof, Jul 29, 2003.

Tags:
  1. retrof

retrof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi All,

My trusty 930 which served me well for 3 years has been sent to an untimely grave following an incident with a beer bottle and one of my mates. Spilled beer in through the top grille, which proceeded to drip down through the three main PCBs inside the unit, leaving a nice small pool of beer on the shelf below the unit. I've cleaned and dried it out as best I could, and replaced the two fuses in the power supply section, and then tried it again - flash - two fuses gone again. Front display comes on fine - seems to be the supply to the main boards which is cut off by the fuses, indicating some maybe bad damage to one of the boards.

So, anyone care to comment on Sony repair costs, or should I just throw in the towel and fork out for something new?

cheers,
    -rf

2. mohtfan

mohtfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    replace it with something better and protect it from beer :)

3. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a Sony 930 too, it went wrong twice (1st time under g/tee, 2nd time under the warranty I took out after it went wrong the 1st time) I cut my losses & sold it on, bought the model I have now (Sony 940)

Try & find a sony service agent/dealer who will refund the estimate fee if you buy a replacement from them (make sure they don't force a Sony on you as a replacement if you don't want one, it's your choice after all! :p ) I would take the opportunity to replace it with a model that has pro-logic II as well.

Finally, check you house contents insurance as well, you may well be able to claim on that as 'accidental damage' with a small excess to pay.

BTW I paid £60- for a minor repair to an old pioneer pro-logic amp I owned 10 years ago, I would imagine repair costs have increased a fair bit since then.
    HTH

4. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    You could buy a new one and sell it on ebay as broken, you'd probably get a few quid for it...