Sony 930 rear channel distortion

M

manojb

I own a Sony 930 amp which i have been very happy with for the past two years. But recently I have noticed that when I first switch on the amp, i get a muffled distorted sound that is bleeding from the front channel into the rear right channel ! This is particularly prevalent when i have it switched to 5.1 mode that receives signals from my widescreen Panasonic (three years old) although it is still noticeable when i switch it to my DVD or satellite. The strange thing is- after a while - all is well and the amp works beautifully.

Has any one else experienced this? I'm wondering if there is a loose connection somewhere inside - but i dare not open the box cos i'll probably take the whole thing apart and do more damage than good!

Have a good Easter all ! :cool:

Yes, I have had two 930's and they both have done the same thing. I can only assume that it is a design fault. It's only realy noticable when I get very close to the rear speakers. I guess the answer is not to get too close to the speakers!

I know exactly what you're on about. I've had the DB-930 for 18 months and the distortion was in the rear right speaker since the beginning. It went back to the Sony Centre in the Trafford Centre (Manchester) while under guarentee. However, after they had it for 8 weeks (!) they said there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. After a year of trying every single speaker set up (with Bose, it was difficult let me tell you!) you could imagine, convinced it was the speakers somehow, I'd had enough and 2 months ago I had the amp back into an independent repair shop who, upon contacting Sony, recieved a modification sheet explaining exactly what repair was needed depending on the amps serial number. Hey presto - 2 new capacitors and fixed. The bloody annoying thing is that Sony have known that a certain number of these amps have had these problems but have done nothing about it. Still, all is well, amp is great and I'm now happy. But get an independent dealer to look at it (mine went to BDS, the repair shop for Hamlets electronics - excellent service - they had it for 3 days and charged me £35), apparently the problem is very easily remedied. :mad:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom