Sony 930 or Denon 2200 - which one?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by djnsh, Nov 21, 2003.

1. djnsh

djnsh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, I apologise to frequent readers for asking what may seem the same question again!

However, I was just about to buy the Sony 930 (Multi region) when I noticed that there was a high-end Denon available just sneaking inside my budget (£500 max), namely the Denon 2200. I know it is more than the Sony (over double the price in fact) however as the machine will be my first progressive scan player and will be used with a Panasonic AE300 projector, performance wise which is better?

I don't want to buy another DVD player for the foreseeable future whilst I still have the AE300.

I need SACD capability on the machine and hence the dilemma. Does anyone know if the Denon player is better at SACD than the Sony 930?

Finally, I have read stories about Multi region models performing not as well as pure region 2 machines due to firmware upgrades. Should I be worried about this regarding these models?

I currently have a Sony 705 Multiregion and even when used with the projector looks excellent, can it really look any better with a progressive scan DVD player?

2. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Not sure about performance, but I think you should also consider that the Denon is DVD-Audio compatible as well as SACD, whereas the Sony will only play SACD.

I think it's safe to say that the Denon will probably be a better performer, as the price reflects.