Sony 930 LED on the blink

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Caroline, Apr 8, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Caroline

Caroline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a Sony 930 receiver which is really cool. :cool: The only thing is the little LED on the volume control has gone out which is very annoying because, depending on whether I was on DVD, Satellite or the VCRs I knew exactly how far to wind the volume control round to thanks to the little light.
    First it started blinking - which was very irritating. Then it went out altogether. Now, here's the thing. How easy is it to fix. One shop I spoke to about it wanted £60 just to look at it. He blamed it on the high cost of Sony spares!!!
    Any help would be appreciated. :)

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Yes, sony spares are 'very' expensive.
    However, get a screwdriver, turn the power off and wait 5 minutes. Then get that lid off and see how the volume control links to the main PCB. It may just be a common sense thing like a cable out of a socket. Look and see. If you are unlucky and the LED has died, it happens, then most likely the volume pot itself needs changing, and that's where the cost builds up.
    Personally I'd buy a pot of luminous paint and plonk a splodge on the LED surface. Better than nothing :).
    Good luck.

3. Caroline

Caroline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the tip. If nobody comes up with a better plan I will give it a go.
    [​IMG]

Caroline

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Too early to ask if you've had a peek inside yet?

5. Caroline

Caroline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm afraid that by the time I get home in the evening, it doesn't leave enough time to have a poke around the innards of my amp. I'll have to leave it until Saturday (working Good Friday, sob!) when I can disconnect all the wiring and pull it out of the shelf to get access to it. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for your concern.
    Take care.
    Caroline ;)

6. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Caroline,

Have you got any technicians or engineers at your workplace ? Rather than open it up yourself I'd suggest getting them to have a go if you're not technical.

Was the LED blinking or flickering ? If it's flickering then I suspect that a solder joint or the lead on the back of the LED has broken. In either case the replacement part is probably pennies for a friendly engineer..

If the LED was blinking (like once per second) then it's weird and could be a more costly problem..

If you do open it up, gently wiggle the wires (very technical) that go to the LED very carefully and see if the light momentarily comes back. If it does it's the solder joint at the PCB end or one end of the wire you're wiggling that is the problem.

Good luck !,

Gary

7. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Any news yet?

8. Caroline

Caroline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry for the delay but, you know what it's like, I planned to do it over the weekend and everything conspired against me. Hubby ill, visitors, Grand Prix on telly, bit of sunshine - so took the chance to get out into the garden - and then, suddenly the weekend was gone and no time to peek inside the Sony. If I get home early enough tonight I'll give it a go. Will post results. Thanks for your continued interest.

Caroline

9. Caroline

Caroline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well, I took a deep breath and started to undo screws on the amp, thinking all the time 'am I going to completely wreck this amp for the sake of a LED?' Anyway, I carried on and it started to look a bit too complicated. I must say here, that I am not very good at this type of thing. So I chickened out and put it back together again. Guess what - the LED is now working! As far as I am aware, short of poking about a bit, I didn't actually do anything. So I can only imagine it was some sort of loose contact. So I am back in business. If it goes again, I think I'll take your advice General and get some luminous paint. From what I saw inside the Sony it doesn't look idiot-friendly.

Thanks for all your help.

Happy viewing.

Caroline

10. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Well at least it is working.
    But it does sound like Gary said about a dry joint. It may well return in time.
    But for now you are a happy, blinking red LED lady. :D