Sony 910 - Doesn't set titles in timer... Is this a major flaw???!!!!

S

Scotty Lang

I've just shifted from a Panasonic DMR-HS2 (which I loved) to the 250gb Sony, which looked like the bomb as far as recorders are concerned.
Maybe I'm not used to it yet but I'm very disappointed. The response time for menu actions seemed much slower than my Panasonic and the menu/remote control just don't seem as intuitive.
But my main gripe would have to be the inability to name programs when you set the timer to record them. I'm in Australia and don't have the electronic program guides so that isn't an option.
On the Panasonic, I could set it to record a recgular show, type in the title and then after that show was recorded, it would appear each week on the hard drive under its title.
The Sony seems to only let you set a program's title AFTER it has been recorded, which is kind of ridiculous.
Now I have to wade through a menu which has each title as the record time and channel. When you set it to record several different programs a week, this can be an additional headache trying to find things.
Does anyone know a workaround so that you can permanently set a title for programs in timer mode so they appear under that name in the menu each time they are recorded.
I can't believe Sony would have allowed such an obvious oversight.

A

ArtS

Unfortunately, you cannot set title's name before recording it. Sorry. It is by design.

ArtS :cool:

B

BigBadFun

Yeah - it's about the only thing that bums me out about my 910... quite annoying and would have been so easy to code... stupid geek programmers...

S

Scotty Lang

I can't believe such a high-end machine wouldn't have this facility.
After a week, my title list is just a jumble of dates and times that is difficult to sort through. I have to go through manually and set each title, despite the fact the same shows are being recorded each week and it would be so simple (and one would think, blindingly obvious) to set a title in the timer mode.
It is a major hassle, especially if all you want to do is watch a program you recorded on timer and then delete.
On my old Panasonic I could scroll through the list and all the titles of my regularly-recorded programs would be there after they've been recorded so I would navigate to them straight away.
It is amazing Sony would't have this obvious function.
Next time I'm going back to Panasonic!

B

BigBadFun

I agree... but going back to Panasonic??? Now that's just crazy talk...

S

Scotty Lang

I dunno. I loved my Panasonic. I upgraded because the Panasonic was a few years old and I assumed this new high-end Sony would be superior in every respect. I was wrong.

P

PeteTh

ndr01 said:
Does the 910 title a recording if you have recorded via the EPG?
I'm sure I read it does. But even that for me is not enough, when I record something from my SkyDigi Box to a DVD HDD Recorder I expect it to name the Programmes as well.

I believe only the HDD Recorders using GuidePlus will do this, i.e the Pioneers and the Philips. That's why I'm keen on the new Philips DVD-R9000H which claims to have Digital Freeview and GuidePlus. Due out 7/12/2005.

A

ArtS

Sony can read title name from teletext, but only, if this info is available.

ArtS :cool:

rogerh

PeteTh said:
I believe only the HDD Recorders using GuidePlus will do this, i.e the Pioneers and the Philips. That's why I'm keen on the new Philips DVD-R9000H which claims to have Digital Freeview and GuidePlus. Due out 7/12/2005.
I'v just seen something on a Philips DVDR 7300H which has 250hd,
Any news anyone?
Should we hold of from buying the Sony 910?

JethroUK

rogerh said:
I'v just seen something on a Philips DVDR 7300H which has 250hd,
Any news anyone?
Empire Direct are listing for £350 which seems very cheap for the spec
'Due Soon' they say

http://***********/a8zmf

Edit: On the subject line - Of course Guide+ will title and crop all recording + a bit of blurb e.g. "Emmerdale - This week Jerry eats a blue frog...whatever" and this is carried down to HD and on to DVD

as well as browse by channel or genre, new guide features include text search e.g. "Columbo"

Been a long time on the cards but i understand an iminent partnership between Gemstar/Radiotimes web site is due to emerge in the not too distant

It's very difficult to see where the guide ends and the machine begins but all of the new features apply to the new Philips 7300 and i think it still applies to the new Pioneers although i'm not sure

Worm

Hi

Just received the 910D and its brill. Recording from the EPG the title is on the recording. On the timer list one off recordings show as program title . Setting a program to repeat changes the title to the channel in the timer list but still puts the name of the program in your recorded title lists. Unfortunately only on the timer list if you change one off programs start/stop times it changes the title to the channel because you have to temporarily change frequency to repeat and then back to oneoff. This is easily done but an unneccessary inconvenience.

I only wish there was a genre heading as i miss this from my JVC

E

ernet

Scotty Lang said:
It is amazing Sony would't have this obvious function.
Next time I'm going back to Panasonic!
Or buy Pio 530.630 ... It has so many possibilities to emter the name of recorded programmes, sort them by ...., create your own folder and so, so on.

Worm

Bought mine from multizone £595 . ordered online in the morning.. they rang me later to confirm and I paid extra for next day delivery and the next day it duly arrived. This was for the multiregion version.

Trending threads

Latest news

T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
CTA launches 8K UHD TV display certification programme