Sony 870 (and all Sony HXD and some Pioneers) DVD Recorders - No Freeview

Same for us, we have an 890 model and have done a factory reset, didn't work, unplugged, didn't work. For use it happened between 8 and 8.39pm last night - I recorded Corrie fine at 7.30-8pm then noticed at 8.39pm that it wasn't recoding the second episode of the night. Tragedy. :eek: Left it plugged in overnight, came down this morning to find it was stuck in 'update'. We are near Solihull so it seems to be happening all over the country.

Exactly the same issues here, just outside Glasgow, served by the Blackhill Transmitter.

You're ****ing joking mate - so we're stuck like this over the entire weekend at minimum??
I wish I was joking...would like to know whose idea at Sony's it was to let the work experience person do the update on a friday before they 'closed' for the weekend.

I know I'm not the only one, but I have rage....:)

So glad I found this thread so I know its not just me. HXD890 stuck in update and after multiple soft resets it just goes back to being stuck in update again :( (Oxford transmitter)

I've just captainpacific's suggestion (10:15 above) - retune with "Country" selected as "France" on my 875.

I'm now receiving all DTV channels correctly, rather than blank screen, and Signal Check display is working correctly. (see my earlier post at 3:23am).

EPG now lists all channels, but no programmes, but it does NOT go blank after a few seconds.

The "France" solution is still working, but I would suggest avoiding trying to use the EPG, as that's where the problem lies.

Also, you may need to be patient while it auto resets the clock, which can take a couple of minutes or so (don't worry it does reset correctly in UK time).

So glad I found this thread so I know its not just me. HXD890 stuck in update and after multiple soft resets it just goes back to being stuck in update again :( (Oxford transmitter)

As previously reported - press and hold the on/off button until the unit turns off, then quickly press the button again briefly, before the unit tries to go back into update mode.

It might not be Sony's or Pioneer's fault. Maybe the EPG update that has happened was done without proper notification to Sony / Pioneer, so they may be as shocked as we are. Who knows?

I'm not sure that its a Freeview problem - my machines are not responding to other non-tuner commands, which suggests to me (a very un-techy person) that their firmware-software has been corrupted by a screwed-up update.
Nope - a friend has one that was an unpowered spare that exhibits the same symptoms when switched on. If you switch the input to L1 you'll find that the unit responds normally to non-tuner commands. The 'retuning as if in France' workaround seems to be the best for now.

I am so glad I checked this thread. I was about to give up on my RDR-HXD870. I have exactly the same problem everybody else has. My transmitter is Bilsdale.

Yes exactly the same problems here, since yesterday 19th July 2013 all my Sony freeview recorders have gone wrong not displaying the freeview signal even though it finds all the channels and everything else is ok.
I also have a Humax recorder and it's working fine, the tv with the built in freeview is working fine, it's just these dam Sony recorders causing the problem.
I receive my signal from the Crystal Palace transmitter and I have the Sony 870 x 2, 995 x 1 all have gone the same way as people have mentioned since yesterday.
I have been going mad trying to do all possible tasks to rectify these and just as a off chance I went out and purchased two 4G interference filters this morning in case that would help, but without any luck and I am stuck with them now.
I only came across this forum with all the similar complaints after buying the filters !!!!!
I don't know what has happened, but one thing is for certain is that my blood pressure is sky high, I nearly threw the stupid things out the window with temper.
What makes me so mad is how can something so drastic happen these days and affect so many people.
Lets hope this problem is fixed really soon, and we should all stick together now about this to create as much agro as possible to the party concerned for the interference of service received.

Mornin' all
Glad I found this forum as I was just about to take my HXD 890 apart to see if it was suffering from something terminal. I have now managed to get it back working but for how long I don't know. I have had this trouble before where it would keep dumping channel info and the only way to get it back was a hard reset. My mate next door has the same machine (on my recommendation) and his is dead also. Will wait and see what happens when I edit the epg and switch off.
Does anyone have an address and better still a name at Sony because they need a rocket!

Having checked a bit further it seems that only my newer HXD890 is affected. My older HXD910 is fine, as is my Sony TV. I managed to get into my 890 after powering it on -- it went straight into "updating" again but by using the power button on the front panel I could power cycle it normally. What I can't work out is why an apparent EPG issue should prevent the unit displaying the channels. If I select BBC1 all I get is a blank screen. However, when I check the timers that I have set they all have the correct date/time info for the next transmission, and accessing the hard disk is not an issue. Perhaps this was a firmware update that's caused this and I had the option set -- I need to check -- but the DTG website doesn't list any Sony PVR updates that I could see that would be relevant, so a change in the EPG data would seem at present to be the most likely candidate and if so, should be easy to regress .... perhaps.

Clem

Yes - I have had the same problem, but many thanks to the person who suggested registering as if in France, I am up and running again with a signal even if the Guide doesn't work. So I will be able to watch Le Tour after all!

This is a major cock-up though and if as we suspect is something to do with a software update on Freeview, why was it done on Friday afternoon when there is no support?

Yes - I have had the same problem, but many thanks to the person who suggested registering as if in France, I am up and running again with a signal even if the Guide doesn't work. So I will be able to watch Le Tour after all!

This is a major cock-up though and if as we suspect is something to do with a software update on Freeview, why was it done on Friday afternoon when there is no support?

I've just done exactly the same. At least I will be able to use pause/record.

Let's line up all the people that have caused this problem, and throw our machines as hard as possible at them !

this FRANCE location seems to work on my sony hxd recorders too

leave the menus etc in english but switch your location to france and do the normal dtv tune. the channels are all there, if you change from guideplus to digital epg and check it you will find it comes onscreen in a different format than before, no epg population (obviously) but it does not lock up or anything

you should be able to use the machine without problems but as you now have no epg you cannot do series recording or epg recorder timers

therefore for now you set it to record with start and stop times and the channel itself (manual recording using set timers like we did on the old vcr`s)

so until there is a uk fix, its best to just change your location to france and get some use from it

this FRANCE location seems to work on my sony hxd recorders too

leave the menus etc in english but switch your location to france and do the normal dtv tune. the channels are all there, if you change from guideplus to digital epg and check it you will find it comes onscreen in a different format than before, no epg population (obviously) but it does not lock up or anything

you should be able to use the machine without problems but as you now have no epg you cannot do series recording or epg recorder timers

therefore for now you set it to record with start and stop times and the channel itself (manual recording using set timers like we did on the old vcr`s)

so until there is a uk fix, its best to just change your location to france and get some use from it

Yes this fix has also worked for me on my recorders, and at least they can be used, not 100% but it's certainly better at the moment than blank screens and constant lock ups

A heads up on the France solution:

When your machine carries out its daily automatic update routine, you may find that you are back to square one - blank screen on all channels.

DON'T PANIC :eek:

Just re-tune as "France" again and it will all be restored with viewable channels (but no EPG). If all the channels do not appear in the re-tune, try the "add channels" tuning feature and it should find the missing ones and add them to the list.

FYI I am using a Loft Arial and I set mine to Ireland without a postcode - Now working. But EPG is screwed still.

Thanks for the France suggestion.

Roll on Monday. :)

I'm another one with the same problem with an 890. Based in Chester. Have just left a message for my dad who has the same model to see if he is suffering with the same problem. I've tweeted @sonyuk but I guess there will be no action until Monday. Hope the problem is fixable...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom