• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony - 85" - X900H or LG - 86" Class NanoCell 90 Series

tandkb

Novice Member
Both the Sony - 85" - X900H and the LG - 86" Class NanoCell 90 Series are on sale and the same price at Best Buy. I have watched reviews of both of these models but not the 85" or 86" version. Between these 2 tv's what would be the best? I mostly watch sports, tv and movies with little to no gaming. Thanks for your help!

Dodgexander

They are TVs for different viewing conditions and different purposes really. Neither of which is really a 'true HDR' TV with the Sony the better of the two in this respect reaching around 700-800 nits. That is around 200 short of what I'd recommend for HDR use as a minimum, and approx half of the higher tier X950H which is a much better all-round TV. (not available above 75" sadly).

But I digress. Between the LG and the Sony you are looking at the LG is using an IPS type panel and the Sony VA. The picture quality differences between these two technologies is pretty drastic.

To summarize:
The LG will have less motion blur and better viewing angles but the Sony will have better blacks, contrast and better screen uniformity so provided you view direct in front of the TV, is much better suited for critical watching in darker conditions.

If I were personally in your shoes I'd wait for Black Friday deals before buying a new 2020 TV. It will probably save you a lot of cash. If buying now consider instead going for the older X900F which is a better TV anyway.

If you wonder why the new X900H is a downgrade, its lost a dedicated picture processor and now instead uses built in processing, plus it loses around 200 nits of brightness which can make a difference when using HDR. One area that is improved, is smart TV, which on the new model is more responsive.

Giving these shortfalls I'd expect the X900H to be quite a bit cheaper than the TV it replaces in time, and at its present price point despite being reduced, is not good value for money at all.

EDIT* correct mistake with the X950H availability.

X950G if you can still find one may be much better value than opting for a 2020 model, in similar circumstances to the X900F.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom