Sony 84" 4k @ Bristol sound & vision

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Craig uk, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Craig uk

Craig uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +962
    One of the highlights of the show for me has to be Sony's magnificent 84" 4k display, the demo was only about 10 mins long but it was such a joy to be able to sit right up close to the screen and see it action. The first clip was upscaled content of Sherlock Holmes on bluray which looked nice enough but nothing too amazing but when the put they second demo on which was true 4k content shot on Sonys own camera's it was a different ball game all together! The clarity of the images on screen were breathtaking, an experience I've not seen from any display before.

The main reason for the total immersion was due to the fact that we were seated less than 10 foot from the screen, so you were able to really appreciate that extra detail on such a large display, I would never dream of sitting that close to a standard 1080 screen at 60" let alone 84".

One of the reps told me that Sony hope to have a 55" model out this year in the UK and would be retailing around 8k...start saving now:thumbsup:

2. Har-One

Har-One
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,918
    8k that is a nice £2k for each k of the resolution. I do no think they will be selling that many at that price and it is only the 55''. It is weird that one of the reps made that comment about the price. None of them had any idea about pricing yet.

I think that the up-scaled content was good but not any much better that it would have looked in a good 1080p TV. The native 4K content really did look amazing. The amount of detail is exceptional and the bright scenes did look pretty impressive. However I think that this TV, and by extend the 55 and 65 will have some of the issues of previous models in particular light uniformity issues.

They are edge lit. The 84'' when the screen had no images one could see the uneven distribution of the light. This could also be seen up to some degree in the black shots in the dark suits of the Orchestra which was 4K material.

I know that Sony is creating a complete 4K ecosystem but still the vast majority of content in that TV will be at best 1080p. Paying £8K for a 55'' TV seem like a ridiculous idea, specially when Panasonic is getting out a 60'' plasma for less than half that price and the comments are that the ZT is a TV of exceptional picture quality.

I have read in these forums before that with 4K there will be no need for 3D but I seriously doubt it. The 4K material is nothing short of a feast to the eyes but it will not give enough depth to give a sense of 3D. I am glad that Sony is bringing these 4K TVs to the UK but I will not have high hope of them doing really well at those prices.

They also had a W9 which looked rather pathetic in comparison with its bigger brother but it did seem a good TV as well.

3. Craig uk

Craig uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +962
    I did notice that the backlighting wasn't quite perfect but given the display type you would have to expect a little bleed, I did make a comment about it to the rep and he agreed that Triluminos led screens still have issue's with backlighting. I can imagine when spending this much on a set people are going to want perfection but remember the vast majority of consumers have no idea about the problem and many don't view their TVs in a darkened room. I doubt many noticed it whilst the demo was in action, i think it was fair to say that everyone in the room was totally blown away with the native 4k demo. For me the positives far out weighted the negative.

Content will definitely be limited but I think one thing to remember with 4k is the system is designed for big screens, 55" is most likely the smallest we will see and as such most people won't be able to afford or accommodate a display of that size. In its infancy 4k will be aimed at the serious end of home cinema. Whether we will have 4k or ultra HD, or maybe even both, most people won't even be considering 4k sets for many years. But for the rest of us by 2014 we will probably have a delivery system again provided by Sony and options on 4k displays by Sony or others. I wonder if Panasonic will produce a 4k plasma? I would imagine that production costs would be much higher for new pdps so maybe we won't.

The W9 was a lovely looking set also but with regard to 4k I guess we will all be waiting for E3 to see if Sony confirm the ps4 as the carrier system.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  4. Har-One

Har-One
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,918
    I think that very few will have the space to accommodate the 84’’ let alone paying that extra-premium tag of 25 000.00 pounds. For the vast majority of mortals, the rest of us, the 55’’ and 65’’ are the most adequate sizes and some might be able to stretch it to 70’’, mind you at that suggested price the “rest of us” will be reduce to a handful of people. The “vast majority” of consumers will never consider paying over a thousand or two for a TV. Most probably, the people that will be tempted to buy a beast like this one are enthusiasts or someone who really want to brag about it. I do not see many enthusiasts paying 8 thousand pounds, let alone 25K, and have these problems.

Sony has incorporated nice speakers into the 55’’ and 65’’ which is very good; however these will increase the price of the TV considerably. IMHO, people who will buy these TV already have or will consider having a sound system. They could have invested that money in picture quality. I believe that people paying this money will be more unforgiving with picture quality. People were impressed with the TV but the question is how many will consider buying one and if they do how many will return it. It could be another disaster for Sony like their latest top of the range TVs.

I think that these TVs are a balance of hart over reason and the higher the price tag is the more reason will win the day. Some of us will consider paying a premium price for a toy but when price get over certain limit we will question more expending this kind of money. OLED is going to be competing directly with these sets. £8K for a 4K TV with some nagging picture quality problems and very little content or £10K for a 2K OLED with fantastic picture quality, that will be a question that most enthusiast will have. Even with all the 4K ecosystem there is a cruel reality that most of the channel are not even full HD and we have full 1080p TV for well over 5 years already.

I guess that time will tell. There is the shoot out and I guess most enthusiasts will keep an eye for these TVs as well Panasonic ZT and VT and even the Sharp LED and the Sammy and LG OLED. There is even the Sammy plasma which claims a lot. I am eagerly awaiting for the shoot out and some reviews and most importantly owners opinions. I am keeping an open mind with all models and makers. The good thing about this year is that it is not a one horse race.

They announced the PS4 for I have not heard anything about 4K delivery with it. I think they are planning some sort of internet service.

5. audimushroom

audimushroom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I saw the demo's of this super size Tv and thought it was a bit disappointing.

Ok its the 1st generation so that must be taken into consideration but the very poor backlight control was awful.. for this level of TV I was expecting that the LED backlighting would be per pixel...Severe light pooling from the corners especially on the one in the main demo suite with 3D etc...

The native 4k content was excellent but still had moire pattens and jaggies on moving edges, why on this level of TV do these exist... The source camera is surely good enough? too much processing maybe...

Maybe the 2nd generation will be better...

6. vaktmestern

vaktmestern
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,540
    Flatpanels has the 55" listed as 4k and 65" at 6k ... so its they thats off or those sony reps :lesson:

7. Har-One

Har-One
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,918
    Sorry do you have a link? The US Website does not have price yet. Where did they get those prices from?

8. vaktmestern

vaktmestern
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,540
    Must be from sony.dk

Sonys 2013-fladskærme - med danske priser - FlatpanelsDK

Thats danish prices.

Sony X9005 kommer i sommeren 2013 i 55 og 65 tommer kaldet 55X9005 og 65X9005. De vejledende priser er hhv. 40.000 og 60.000 kroner.

Roughly translated with coinmills value calculator on danish krones to pounds :lesson:

Sony X9500 is due in the summer 2013 in 55 and 65" called 55X9005 and 65X9005. Retail prices is
    40.000kroner (4631.37pound) and 60.000kroner (6947.05pound)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  9. rojgelf

rojgelf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,370
  10. Har-One

Har-One
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,918
    Some pictures from the Bristol Show.

It shows problems with light uniformity and two nice one with 4K content.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. MAX1210

MAX1210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    There's a company in West Sussex called Avensys who have the 'pro' version of the Sony 84" U-HD TV on display (I don't know what the differences are?) But they are saying it's the only shop other than Harrods in the UK that are showing this screen.

12. Smith2004

Smith2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +185
    For interest - Sony's 4K TVs to debut in May, starting at $5000 - FlatpanelsHD

According to this report Sony's new 55in UHD / or '4K' set will cost $5,000 when it appears later in the year. I guess it's pointless trying to work out what the equivalent of $5,000 is in pounds, as we'll end up paying considerably more than the actual exchange rate anyhow.

13. Har-One

Har-One
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,918
    I has been following this TV range, in particular the 65'', but for what I saw at the show I think I will look somewhere else. The price in the UK will be close to £7K and I do not see myself paying that money for a TV with uniformities problems. The 4K resolution is appealing but not enough specially when content is going to be so scarce.

14. eddgreen25

eddgreen25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    [We dont want sound systems looking ugly
    The sound from thr tv with bass is what we want
    QUOTE=Har-One;18578657]I think that very few will have the space to accommodate the 84’’ let alone paying that extra-premium tag of 25 000.00 pounds. For the vast majority of mortals, the rest of us, the 55’’ and 65’’ are the most adequate sizes and some might be able to stretch it to 70’’, mind you at that suggested price the “rest of us” will be reduce to a handful of people. The “vast majority” of consumers will never consider paying over a thousand or two for a TV. Most probably, the people that will be tempted to buy a beast like this one are enthusiasts or someone who really want to brag about it. I do not see many enthusiasts paying 8 thousand pounds, let alone 25K, and have these problems.

Sony has incorporated nice speakers into the 55’’ and 65’’ which is very good; however these will increase the price of the TV considerably. IMHO, people who will buy these TV already have or will consider having a sound system. They could have invested that money in picture quality. I believe that people paying this money will be more unforgiving with picture quality. People were impressed with the TV but the question is how many will consider buying one and if they do how many will return it. It could be another disaster for Sony like their latest top of the range TVs.

I think that these TVs are a balance of hart over reason and the higher the price tag is the more reason will win the day. Some of us will consider paying a premium price for a toy but when price get over certain limit we will question more expending this kind of money. OLED is going to be competing directly with these sets. £8K for a 4K TV with some nagging picture quality problems and very little content or £10K for a 2K OLED with fantastic picture quality, that will be a question that most enthusiast will have. Even with all the 4K ecosystem there is a cruel reality that most of the channel are not even full HD and we have full 1080p TV for well over 5 years already.

I guess that time will tell. There is the shoot out and I guess most enthusiasts will keep an eye for these TVs as well Panasonic ZT and VT and even the Sharp LED and the Sammy and LG OLED. There is even the Sammy plasma which claims a lot. I am eagerly awaiting for the shoot out and some reviews and most importantly owners opinions. I am keeping an open mind with all models and makers. The good thing about this year is that it is not a one horse race.

They announced the PS4 for I have not heard anything about 4K delivery with it. I think they are planning some sort of internet service.[/QUOTE]

15. Har-One

Har-One
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,918
    Has any one got any info on the KD-65X9005A or KD-55X9005A?

not from the sony website, i meant reviews and that sort. ;)

16. Smith2004

Smith2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +185