Sony 800 - WILL get a new firmware!!

shirleywhite

Like many 800's series owners I've been a bit disappointed that the new 810's have come out so soon AND without the Atrac/DRM/Sonicstage etc restrictions. Just seen on Atrac Forums that a couple of people have had response from Sony saying that there WILL be a firmware update and/or WindowsMediaPlayer update/plugin to give the 800's the same/similar functions to the new 810's !!!!! YIPPEE!!!

( Maybe shows that moaning/posting/phoning/emails etc etc can sometimes work!!!)

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Excellent news for series 800 owners :)

It was a similar result getting gapless playback for the iPod, it took ages and a massive on-line petition (which Steve Jobs acknowledged in a speech), but in the end they did a fine job at Apple. That was the turning point for me, i could finally buy Apple stuff.

Although that said, i was about to order an iPod Classic 80GB - however i think i might wait and see what Sony come up with for Christmas now. If they bring out a HDD player with gapless playback and drag'n'drop - no contest :)

shezzy2k

Nice find...I hope for those that still own these players that this is true.

Interestingly the phrase "compatibility update" is used to describe what will happen with older machines.

I'm keen to understand if this means a firmware update on the player itself or a plugin for Windows Media Player.

It would also be good to hear this from an official source.

_cashman

Just came here after visiting the Atrac forums to post this. If indeed this is true then it is great news!! I still haven't received a response to my written letter, but that was only sent a week ago. If I do get a response I will scan the letter and post it up here.

yay. Sony might do the right thing :D

dancemb

Excellent news for series 800 owners :)

It was a similar result getting gapless playback for the iPod, it took ages and a massive on-line petition (which Steve Jobs acknowledged in a speech), but in the end they did a fine job at Apple. That was the turning point for me, i could finally buy Apple stuff.

Although that said, i was about to order an iPod Classic 80GB - however i think i might wait and see what Sony come up with for Christmas now. If they bring out a HDD player with gapless playback and drag'n'drop - no contest :)

This just will not be happening.

In a past post, Sony said they will no longer be making any HDD MP3 players due to customer feedback that they all want to have smaller, faster players, which means Sony are only going to produce flash-based players.

Maybe when flash eventually goes up in storage, but until then its playing the waiting game im afraid!

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom