Question Sony 800 Series vs Sony 900 Series

WGH

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have the new Sony X850G. I think I have now dialed in the picture settings to the best of my ability. Funny thing is, my wife and I put our, so called, wonderful LG C9 OLED side by side with it. I dialed in the appropriate picture settings for it, and much to our amazement, the Sony won out. So the LG goes back to the store. Believe me, I tried all of the suggested settings, including what was set on the display model in the store. I got the sales clerk to get the remote and check the settings out according to the demo video being displayed. I really am surprised by the way it looks side by side with the Sony. The only advantage to the LG OLED is that you can view it from the side. Big deal, I watch the Sony straight on.

Now there is two minor issues I'm noticing on the Sony 850G. It has to do with motion blur and flashing/shimmering of certain objects viewed on the monitor. While watching a 4K streamed video of the Philippines, there was a slight shimmering effect while green trees were crossing the screen. It seemed to clear up some when I set MotionFlow to custom and set the two settings to min. Also, there is the odd time when someone moves quickly, like turning his/her head fast I will notice a little blurring. I also noticed it when a motorized tricycle moved across the screen. I read that it might have something to do with conflicting frame rates. To be honest, I thought having the 120Hz refresh rate took care of that. You know, I just purchased the TV to watch brilliant 4K videos, including the ones I personally take. I had no idea that I would be going through all of this. What happened to the days when things were set up properly at the factory and all you did was plug it in, turn it on, and away you go?

I spoke to a sales clerk at Best Buy, and he mentioned that I should not have these issues with the 950G. He mentioned that the processor is more advanced in the 900 series than the 800 series. I don't know anything about this, so I have to take him at his word. I have no problems changing out the set for the more expensive 950G if, indeed, it will rectify these issues. Like I mentioned, I did the best I can with the settings to where I like it, but it isn't professionally calibrated, for which, I might get a technician from the Geek Squad out.

What are your thoughts on all of this? Thanks guys.

Edit: Here are the specs from Sony regarding the 800 and 900 series:

850G: 4K HDR Processor X1™
950G: Picture Processor X1™ Ultimate

For Motion Detection:

850G: Motionflow™ XR 960 (Native 120 Hz), Auto mode
950G: X-Motion Clarity, Auto mode

Last edited:
in-art-close-icon-128x128-16481b937f87b244a645cdbef0d930f8.png

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––​

unmiss-sound-button-muted-e74d67a0c85c3548f07d7564782a269c.svg

I have the new Sony X850G. I think I have now dialed in the picture settings to the best of my ability. Funny thing is, my wife and I put our, so called, wonderful LG C9 OLED side by side with it. I dialed in the appropriate picture settings for it, and much to our amazement, the Sony won out. So the LG goes back to the store. Believe me, I tried all of the suggested settings, including what was set on the display model in the store. I got the sales clerk to get the remote and check the settings out according to the demo video being displayed. I really am surprised by the way it looks side by side with the Sony. The only advantage to the LG OLED is that you can view it from the side. Big deal, I watch the Sony straight on.

Now there is two minor issues I'm noticing on the Sony 850G. It has to do with motion blur and flashing/shimmering of certain objects viewed on the monitor. While watching a 4K streamed video of the Philippines, there was a slight shimmering effect while green trees were crossing the screen. It seemed to clear up some when I set MotionFlow to custom and set the two settings to min. Also, there is the odd time when someone moves quickly, like turning his/her head fast I will notice a little blurring. I also noticed it when a motorized tricycle moved across the screen. I read that it might have something to do with conflicting frame rates. To be honest, I thought having the 120Hz refresh rate took care of that. You know, I just purchased the TV to watch brilliant 4K videos, including the ones I personally take. I had no idea that I would be going through all of this. What happened to the days when things were set up properly at the factory and all you did was plug it in, turn it on, and away you go?

I spoke to a sales clerk at Best Buy, and he mentioned that I should not have these issues with the 950G. He mentioned that the processor is more advanced in the 900 series than the 800 series. I don't know anything about this, so I have to take him at his word. I have no problems changing out the set for the more expensive 950G if, indeed, it will rectify these issues. Like I mentioned, I did the best I can with the settings to where I like it, but it isn't professionally calibrated, for which, I might get a technician from the Geek Squad out.

What are your thoughts on all of this? Thanks guys.

Edit: Here are the specs from Sony regarding the 800 and 900 series:

850G: 4K HDR Processor X1™
950G: Picture Processor X1™ Ultimate

For Motion Detection:

850G: Motionflow™ XR 960 (Native 120 Hz), Auto mode
950G: X-Motion Clarity, Auto mode

So many questions. But the main one, where is this understanding shop that lets you buy sets to compare at home and return the one you least like?

As for the different processors the reviews aren't glowing about the XG95 so if you have ditched the 2019 television of the year for your current set then you have a definite keeper!!....or more likely a faulty C9.

The processor on the XG95 will definitely be an improvement over your current set but no panel is perfect and you will always get some motion bugs.

Last edited:
Thank you for replying. Actually, we purchased both; the LG for the living room and the Sony for the bedroom. The reason for wanting to return the LG was that I couldn't get it dialed in to come close to what I managed to get out of the Sony. For a TV that I payed close to double the price for and underachieved in picture quality, whether due to a faulty set or a faulty set up, has to go back.

Because of the issues mentioned on the X850G, I was wondering if the X950G with it's better processor might eliminate those issues. Like I had mentioned, I dialed it in the best i can, but I'm sure a technician can calibrate it to where the set gives out it's full potential.

Thank you for replying. Actually, we purchased both; the LG for the living room and the Sony for the bedroom. The reason for wanting to return the LG was that I couldn't get it dialed in to come close to what I managed to get out of the Sony. For a TV that I payed close to double the price for and underachieved in picture quality, whether due to a faulty set or a faulty set up, has to go back.

Because of the issues mentioned on the X850G, I was wondering if the X950G with it's better processor might eliminate those issues. Like I had mentioned, I dialed it in the best i can, but I'm sure a technician can calibrate it to where the set gives out it's full potential.

The 850 is an inferior tv to the 900f or 950 g, the 850 has edge dimming whilst 900/950 are FALD (Full array local dimming) which is as good as it gets on an led tv.

As well as the superior processor, the 850 is an IPS panel v the 900/950 VA panel, which gives better blacks.
The hdr capabilities of the 950 are also Superior and the 900/950 offers superior contrast ratio.

Sony X850G vs Sony X950G Side-by-Side TV Comparison

Sony X850G vs Sony X900F Side-by-Side TV Comparison

The LG c9 is superior to both sony tvs, are you sure you had the correct settings or it wasn't a faulty panel?

LG C9 OLED Calibration Settings

Last edited:

That explains it, but they are still sounding like a very understanding shop. I do genuinely suspect your C9 was faulty as although a decent panel, the 800 range is quite significantly inferior to the 900 range, let alone the C9, which is a superb set, and one I might buy next year to replace my XF9005, which is an excellent panel and currently less than £800 at Costco for the 55". If you are sure you don't want to try a good C9 and can persuade your shop to allow you to swap I would be getting the XF9005 or the XG95 either should be a significant improvement on your current set both in picture quality and also motion.

The 850 is an inferior tv to the 900f or 950 g, the 850 has edge dimming whilst 900/950 are FALD (Full array local dimming) which is as good as it gets on an led tv.

As well as the superior processor, the 850 is an IPS panel v the 900/950 VA panel, which gives better blacks.
The hdr capabilities of the 950 are also Superior and the 900/950 offers superior contrast ratio.

Sony X850G vs Sony X950G Side-by-Side TV Comparison

Sony X850G vs Sony X900F Side-by-Side TV Comparison

The LG c9 is superior to both sony tvs, are you sure you had the correct settings or it wasn't a faulty panel?

LG C9 OLED Calibration Settings

Thank you for you help, Morden. To be honest, I looked at the comparisons, but it didn't mean a whole lot to me. I'm ignorant to all those various specs. All I want is a clear and motion free picture. If the 950 delivers that better than the 850, great. I recall watching a video on 850 where a young girl was jogging across the screen. There was so much blurring/stuttering (no idea what to call it, other than it was unwatchable) around her. I don't want any of this at all. So very disappointed. I am also looking into the Samsung QLED 60R, 70R. I believe, from what I was told by someone in the Geek Squad that it has a higher (240Hz) refresh rate. I find that hard to believe. Like I said, all I want is a TV that is clear, bright with NO motion. I'll go with what ever delivers the best in these areas, even as far as an OLED. Is it true that the Sony AG8 is better for this, and better than the LG C9? Sorry for all the questions, but I really want to get this sorted out. Like I mentioned, I am ignorant to specs and their meanings, so I have to go with what one tells me. You go into the store and all you see are demo videos that are maxed out vivid. Perhaps the videos are done on purpose to wow a customer. One should be allowed to view video content that we as consumers will watch at home. Thanks again.

That explains it, but they are still sounding like a very understanding shop. I do genuinely suspect your C9 was faulty as although a decent panel, the 800 range is quite significantly inferior to the 900 range, let alone the C9, which is a superb set, and one I might buy next year to replace my XF9005, which is an excellent panel and currently less than £800 at Costco for the 55". If you are sure you don't want to try a good C9 and can persuade your shop to allow you to swap I would be getting the XF9005 or the XG95 either should be a significant improvement on your current set both in picture quality and also motion.

Thank you for replying. I'm very confused, and what adds to the confusion is what is presented to us, the consumer, when we look at the various sets on the showroom floor. They all look spectacular, even the 850G that I purchased. But when you get home, set it up to where you are happy with the image, it's then that you discover it's weaknesses, like motion blur for example. The demo videos I'm sure I done in such a way that there are no faults. Picture to the max, as one reporter on YouTube mentioned.

Like I mentioned in a reply to Morden, whatever TV delivers good clear content, with NO motion blurring.

Thank you for replying. I'm very confused, and what adds to the confusion is what is presented to us, the consumer, when we look at the various sets on the showroom floor. They all look spectacular, even the 850G that I purchased. But when you get home, set it up to where you are happy with the image, it's then that you discover it's weaknesses, like motion blur for example. The demo videos I'm sure I done in such a way that there are no faults. Picture to the max, as one reporter on YouTube mentioned.

Like I mentioned in a reply to Morden, whatever TV delivers good clear content, with NO motion blurring.

Don't get me wrong the 850 is a decent panel but shops will have all all their panels set to "vivid" mode or similar and generally play selected source material on repeat that highlights the best of the sets. When you get your set home you are playing various source content through and that's when you start to notice "issues".

If the best motion possible is up their on your criteria then Sony is the brand to aim for, but get the top end panels like the XF9005 or XG95. Don't bother with the lower end Samsungs like the 60 and 70, they are decent sets but the motion isn't as good and the colour is artificial looking. The only Samsung I would get is the Q90, but it's way overpriced in my opinion.

My best advice is narrow down your selection to maybe two panels and then arrange with your local Richer sounds to go in and view them side by side. They will be able to put through the same source content and you can then play with the settings to your hearts content. Obviously I've got no idea where you have purchased your current panel from and how long you have to return it.

Thank you for you help, Morden. To be honest, I looked at the comparisons, but it didn't mean a whole lot to me. I'm ignorant to all those various specs. All I want is a clear and motion free picture. If the 950 delivers that better than the 850, great. I recall watching a video on 850 where a young girl was jogging across the screen. There was so much blurring/stuttering (no idea what to call it, other than it was unwatchable) around her. I don't want any of this at all. So very disappointed. I am also looking into the Samsung QLED 60R, 70R. I believe, from what I was told by someone in the Geek Squad that it has a higher (240Hz) refresh rate. I find that hard to believe. Like I said, all I want is a TV that is clear, bright with NO motion. I'll go with what ever delivers the best in these areas, even as far as an OLED. Is it true that the Sony AG8 is better for this, and better than the LG C9? Sorry for all the questions, but I really want to get this sorted out. Like I mentioned, I am ignorant to specs and their meanings, so I have to go with what one tells me. You go into the store and all you see are demo videos that are maxed out vivid. Perhaps the videos are done on purpose to wow a customer. One should be allowed to view video content that we as consumers will watch at home. Thanks again.

As LCDseeker said Sonys do have best motion control, Richer Sounds are really good for demos of tvs. Best thing is to get some demos on a few tvs .

When I'm looking for a tv, I take demo material on a USB stick and compare on all tvs and take them off of vivid and use similar settings to compare between them.

You could also post on the thread link below, if your not sure what you want.
What Is The Best TV For You? dodgexander there is very knowledgable on the tv ranges.

As LCDseeker said Sonys do have best motion control, Richer Sounds are really good for demos of tvs. Best thing is to get some demos on a few tvs .

When I'm looking for a tv, I take demo material on a USB stick and compare on all tvs and take them off of vivid and use similar settings to compare between them.

You could also post on the thread link below, if your not sure what you want.
What Is The Best TV For You? dodgexander there is very knowledgable on the tv ranges.

Hi, Morden. I had a look at both the 950G and the Samsung Q70 that was recommended. I thought the 950G was by far the winner. No matter what settings we messed with on the Q70, the color was far too saturated. I was fortunate enough to have a very knowledgeable rep at Best Buy go through each set. So, I ordered the 950 and it will be delivered and set up by the Geek Squad, which is a company associated with Best Buy. Having them deal with the settings is the best thing. One month later they will come back to calibrate it. The rep told me it's best to wait about 30 days for calibration, otherwise the colors would change later if I did the calibration right away. I will talk to the technicians about that when they bring it over on Sunday. Cheers! Thanks for all your help.

To Morden and LCDseeker, I wish to thank you both for all your assistance. Most valuable in my decision to buy the Sony 950G. If it's a dud, I can blame you both. Just kidding, HAHAHA!! Seriously, I really appreciate you both helping. Cheers!!!

To Morden and LCDseeker, I wish to thank you both for all your assistance. Most valuable in my decision to buy the Sony 950G. If it's a dud, I can blame you both. Just kidding, HAHAHA!! Seriously, I really appreciate you both helping. Cheers!!!

Pleasure! Let's hope you get a good one! I really rate the XF9005 and the XG95 is supposed to be better so in sure you'll enjoy it.

Glad to have been of help, hope you enjoy your new TV.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom