1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 800 box audio output?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by James45, Dec 8, 2003.

1. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to hook up my new Sony Freeview box to my amp, what cable do I need (only ask as I've never used optical before).

the output looks like a standard mini-jack but the manual says I can use an optical lead.

Can I use an optical - optical lead? or does it have to be a mini-jack - optical lead?

2. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is possible to get optical leads with a minijack-like connector instead of the usual one. Maybe this is what you need. Or maybe you wren't looking at the optical-out.

Optical out will normally have a tiny trapdoor to keep the dust out. With the box switched on, you will see a red-LED glow when you open the door.

3. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You probably need a cable like this one.

Mini toslink to toslink

Most optical cables have the traditional "square" style toslink ends, but this one goes from the "mini-jack" style Toslink to the proper square one.

The lead is entirely optical, it just has different connections at either end.

4. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't see the square 'optical' plug so that's what initially threw me, but a mini-toslink - toslink connection makes much more sense and I think that must be the one i need, once again Sony manuals being less than hopeless.

Thanks!:smashin:

5. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't see the square 'optical' plug so that's what initially threw me, but a mini-toslink - toslink connection makes much more sense and I think that must be the one i need, once again Sony manuals being less than hopeless.

Thanks!:smashin:

6. man_muffy

man_muffy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you get anything other than stereo out of that connector? I bought an optical cable (from eBay, Toslink(Square) to Mini(3.5mm), www.stores.ebay.co.uk/leoelectronics for £3.99). My TV detects what audio signals are coming in, but this one seems to just senf stereo, in which case you may as well use a standard 3.5mm cable. I did select digital audio output for the box and it does send the signals through the optical cable, but I don't see the point. I was expecting Dolby digital or DTS.

Chris

7. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I don't know if the Sony freeview boxes have anything other than stereo output as I know for a fact that the Sony Sky digiboxes don't give out anything other than stereo, so the most you would get would be Dolby prologic and not Dolby digital/Dts. But you never know?

8. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Freeview doesn't transmit Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS, so there's no way you're going to get it from any set top box. Currently, the only way to full Dolby Digital 5.1 is from a Sky+ box and then only on some programmes.

I was really puzzled by the optical connection on my Sony box and don't really see the point of it. Sticking in a 3.5mm phono cable works fine.

9. man_muffy

man_muffy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The VTX800 menu provides an option for the digital ouput as "Stereo" or "Dolby Digital". It doesn't seem to make any difference though. Nothing in the manual either.

Chris