1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 795 or Denon 1905 Crunch time

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pcookie, Nov 21, 2004.

Tags:
  1. pcookie

pcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Well, after (literally) years of debating which receiver and speakers I'm going to buy, the money is finally in place to do the do.
    As a lifelong Sony fan, the 795 seemed like the ideal candidate, until the threads about buzzing/hissing noises started to worry me, but not put me off the idea completely.
    Anyway, that aside can anyone please tell me if there is any reason (better facilities, more inputs, on screen menus etc) why the Denon 1905 or any other brand for that matter will suit my needs better.
    The speakers will be the Elac Cinema 1 (latest version). I'm using the Sony NV900 as source. I'll mainly be watching DVDs on a 28" widescreen CRT (projector is on the list of future wants) and although I'm not expecting hi-fi nirvana, the kit will have to play a respectable tune.

Thanks for any advice.

Cookie

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    How much is your budget Pcookie? You could always try to get a demo of the 795 and see ifyou hear any buzzing and if not get one and return it if your does:mad:

3. pcookie

pcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks Dfour.
    Price has to be under £300. Yes I intend to try before I buy, but buzzing aside, are there any other facilities that other amps have that the sony doesn't that are worth bothering about. I mean for instance, the Denon has on screen display whereas the Sony doesn't. Sony claims on screen display at this price level would affect the signal path. Does it degrade anything? Also I think the Denon has a variable crossover, but the Sony doesn't. That said the Sony has consistantly scored highly over the Denon for stereo performance.
    So, If I find that in a demo, the Sony sounds better, is it worth sacrificing any of the competitors features?

Thanks again

4. WYNIR0

WYNIR0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Had my Sony 795 for a month now after initially wanting the Denon 1905. Bought blind as I wasn't able to demo. Haven't been unhappy with the Sony for even a single second, fantastic amp both for movies and music.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,236
    I just got a 1905 the other day from Super-Fi and although to took a bit of time to figure things out (I up grading from a Yamaha Pro Logic) and still finding things out, I’m pleased with it.I’m finding the sound a lot warmer as the Yamaha was very bright. Also I find even the decoding for the front speakers a lot better.

I just the instruction book was a bit better as I’m a newbie to anything above Dolby Pro.