Sony 790 projector with panamorph dcr-s2

raz77

Hi does anyone have the following combination

Sony 790 projector with panamorph dcr-s2 lens.

Looking at a anamorphic lens as will be moving to a 135 inch 2:35:1 scopes screen once it arrives. No one seems to sell the lens I can seen in the UK. Would like feedback on anyone who has or seen this combination. Would also appreciate feedback on any alternative anamorphic lens that will work with the Sony projector I have.

kitschcamp

Hi, I use a much much older CineVista anamorphic lens with my Sony 790.

As long as your alignment of screen, lens and projector are good, and the lens is either a 1.24x or 1.32x lens, you'll be fine. There's plenty of (in my opinion) guff about certain lenses being "4k compatible" - the lens doesn't care what resolution your projector is. If the optics of the lens are ok, and the alignment of everything is good, you'll be golden. The main advantage of a modern lens at 1.24x is that it can use all 4096 pixels of the 790's panels.

The convenience of not having to wait for motor movement of the lens between 16:9 and 2.35:1 makes up for any very minor distortion of image that in reality isn't often noticeable with real content.

raz77

Thanks for that, I have read about a bit of distortion with the lenses but most say in real world use you don’t notice it, you only see it when you add laser guide lines which are no longer perfectly straight. The projector is about 5m from screen.

kitschcamp

Yeah, the only times I ever notice is if I have the guide lines up for initial setting up, or occasionally with a subtitled film and they're forced into the black bars so have to zoom out a bit.

raz77

Do you notice a big difference with your lens? With me moving to a bigger fixed 2:35:1 scope I am wondering if it is worth investing with a lens in this combination.

kitschcamp

For me it's the husband acceptance factor that was the main motivation - he got annoyed with the switch from 16:9/4:3 to 2.35:1 when you'd have the picture moving around whilst it got into position for scope films. The instant switch from 16:9 to 2.35:1 is worth it for us. Also, I bought the lens second hand, so it wasn't like I was investing thousands in it.

Do I notice extra brightness for the extra pixels, or notice deterioration of the picture due to the lens? Nope. Not really. I'm not a pixel peeper so if I can't see it when watching the film, I'm not going to go looking for trouble.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom