Bargain Expired Sony 77AG9 Refurb £3,999 - 65AG9 £1550, 65AG8 £1399, X700 UHD Player £85, etc.

GadgetObsessed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have ordered a 65AG9 for £1,550. (Plus £180 for a 5 year guarantee.) It is delivered direct from Sony and arrives on Tuesday. I will let people here know what it is like when it turns up.

I also ordered an X700 UHD player for £85.

Neither of these items were on Sony's refurb website at the time I ordered.

To order I called David at Sony in Carlisle on 01228 542824. (He seems to be the one running Sony's chat service.)

You can use chat here...

I have bought many things refurbished from Sony - mainly cameras though - never a TV. Most have turned up looking like new e.g. still with film over the LCD screen on the camera and accessories still sealed. However, occasionally they have definitely been used - but usually those things have a really low price and are marked as Grade B.

Last edited:
When you getting the TV? Do they have anymore Ag65? Would be interested to know if it’s factory refurb and your condition!

They have a refurb store online right now: Sony Centre - Refurbished

Some members have managed to call Sony and get a £70 5 year warranty.
Here's one: Looking for a new tv..
The price of the warranty depends upon the TV and haggling.
So £70 for a £480 TV sounds like the default price.

The key point is that by phoning you can preorder refurbished items that are coming BEFORE they come on the website. Neither of the items I ordered were on the web site.

Yesterday I phoned up David (again) and ordered an X700 UHD blu-ray player for £85.

When you getting the TV? Do they have anymore Ag65? Would be interested to know if it’s factory refurb and your condition!
Tuesday next week.

Contact them either on chat or phone to see what they have coming in. The things I ordered were not on the web site - I just asked.

Supposedly it is a factory refurb. I will let you know what mine is like when it arrives.

BTW - my condition is - Corona virus free, so far. :)

I might have to buy new as I need for Mother’s Day. Wouldn’t mind driving down 300 miles and get it today. Wouldn’t be pretty disappointed though if it’s not great / newish condition.

I might have to buy new as I need for Mother’s Day. Wouldn’t mind driving down 300 miles and get it today. Wouldn’t be pretty disappointed though if it’s not great / newish condition.
Driving down where? These don't come from the store in Carlisle.

Is there a return option if you are not happy with its condition?

Ooooo thought they had in stock!
The refurbs come from Sony directly - from some unspecified location.

You are notionally allocated a Sony Centre for the sale itself but I don't believe they ever see the TV.

Always worth contacting them though to see if there is a collection option - and from where.

I wouldn't ordinarily get a refurb television unless I could see it up and running first. But if you can get a full comprehensive 5 year Sony warranty then you have nothing to lose, unless it's got terrible banding etc out of the box and they have clauses preventing returns etc.

I wouldn't ordinarily get a refurb television unless I could see it up and running first. But if you can get a full comprehensive 5 year Sony warranty then you have nothing to lose, unless it's got terrible banding etc out of the box and they have clauses preventing returns etc.
So far I have found Sony Refurb to be good - but I have never ordered as anything as large and expensive as a TV before and I have not received mine yet so cannot even say what that is like.

I did get a camera with a faulty mechanism (coincidentally the mechanism stopped working at the same time that I dropped it) that I returned for a repair and it came back about 10 days later fully fixed.

Also, I bought a Sony TV on the forums with a Sony guarantee. After a couple of months I found it had a fault with accepting 4k inputs. (I didn't find out until I got my first 4k bluray player.) Sony sent round a repair team who replaced the input board pretty quickly and all has been well since then. Never questioned that the receipt had a different name and address on it - they seemed to simply go y serial number.

Spoke to Sony, they said it’s returned TVs repackaged at warehouse. Returned because customer didn’t like them or not the right size.

Spoke to Sony, they said it’s returned TVs repackaged at warehouse. Returned because customer didn’t like them or not the right size.

They can be customer returns, faulty repaired or have slight cosmetic damage. No one at Sony will be able to tell you the customer the provenance, so whoever told you that is not being accurate.

Grade A is as good as it gets, with anything upto 100hrs panel usage. Grade B's tend to be more used and blemished anything upto 500hrs.

Normally Grade A's the TV will be mint and thoroughly checked over. You will usually get a brand new remote. The stands and fittings may have some cosmetic imperfections.

The warranty is always 12mths but Sony Centres do quite unusually allow you to extend that warranty period out on refurbs to 3, 4 or 5 years at +cost.

They can come direct from Weybridge or a Sony Centre itself. It depends if a particular Centre has already ordered one into store. They sell out so quick though so they tend to ship straight from Weybridge at the moment.

I have ordered a 65AG9 for £1,550. (Plus £180 for a 5 year guarantee.) It is delivered direct from Sony and arrives on Tuesday. I will let people here know what it is like when it turns up.

I also ordered an X700 UHD player for £85.

Neither of these items were on Sony's refurb website at the time I ordered.

To order I called David at Sony in Carlisle on 01228 542824. (He seems to be the one running Sony's chat service.)

You can use chat here...

I have bought many things refurbished from Sony - mainly cameras though - never a TV. Most have turned up looking like new e.g. still with film over the LCD screen on the camera and accessories still sealed. However, occasionally they have definitely been used - but usually those things have a really low price and are marked as Grade B.

Are you sure the AF9 65" is £1250? Can only see it on there for £1799?

Lots of crossed wires by the looks of it.....

The refurbed 65AF9 is £1799 on their website

Given that C&M do it for £2,249 Brand New with 5 Year warranty, then I wouldn't suggest going with the refurb option.

They had the 65AG9 for £1550 earlier this week / last week

Looks like their sale has ended then after about a week or so of great deals. :( They definitely had the 65AF9 for 1249 when I bought the 65AG9 for 1549.

Are you sure the AF9 65" is £1250? Can only see it on there for £1799?
See above. Looks like their sale has ended.

Glad I ordered when I did then as I ummed and ahhed for about a week over a 65AG9 for 1550 or a 65AF9 for 1250 until I finally pulled the trigger.

At 1799 a refurb 65AF9 does not seem a great deal

FYI got the Af65 for 2100
And could get the ag65 for 2600 by walking into Richard sounds

Looks like their sale has ended then after about a week or so of great deals. :( They definitely had the 65AF9 for 1249 when I bought the 65AG9 for 1549.

The 65AG8 was £1249 and does appear next to the 65AF9 on the website so you may have been mistaken because the 65AF9 has been £1799 for a while there.

Needless to say it's not worth buying 65AF9 refurbed at that price as new prices are keener. There's not a lot of new stock left out there anyway.

The refurbed 65AG9 is the bargain really.

Last edited:
The 65AG8 was £1249 and does appear next to the 65AF9 on the website so you may have been mistaken because the 65AF9 has been £1799 for a while there.

Needless to say it's not worth buying 65AF9 refurbed at that price as new prices are keener. There's not a lot of new stock left out there anyway.

The refurbed 65AG9 is the bargain really.
When refurb items come in they only come in one or two at a time. So when an item is a good price it does not last long.

In the past I have run a script that checks the Sony refurb pages every 10 minutes for certain items and emails me. In practice what I generally got was two emails waiting for me when I woke up - one saying that a new item I wanted appeared in stock at something like 2am and another saying that it went out of stock again at 4am.

The 65AG9 was listed at £1549 about 3 times in the past week or so. I thought that it was the AF9 that was listed at £1249 but you could be right and possibly it was an 65AG8. When I bought my 65AG9 it hadn't been listed for a few days so I just took the chance and contacted them and got lucky. They allowed me to order even though they did not have any, so that I would be first (actually second) in the queue for when a refurb did become available. I had to pay full price in advance.

I did the same with an X700 for £85 and that will arrive on Monday - the day before the TV.

I used to get an extra 15% off of new and refurb stuff from Sony direct using a code that I got from a discount shopping scheme at my employer. I ordered loads of things over the years - including at least 15 cameras and lenses - which I generally played with for a few months and then sold on.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom