Quantcast

Bargain Sony 77AG9 Refurb £3,999 - 65AG9 £1550, 65AG8 £1399, X700 UHD Player £85, etc.

GadgetObsessed

TBH - I am not sure I
Maybe worth checking the hours and power cycles onthe set you've received

TV in standby, hit the following buttons in this order

"Display (or i+), 5, Volume+, Power"

Go into diagnostics and you should see 3 sets of five figure digits in the lower left corner
To be honest I am not sure that I want to know. :)
I spent about 2 hours watching the TV last night next to the Sony ZD9 and didn't spot any issues.

It was an interesting comparison. (Although, through my receiver I couldn't run both TVs at the same time in DV - only HDR10).

The OLED image has slightly more depth/pop than the ZD9 and seems slightly sharper. Motion may also be slightly better on the AG9. (Even though I am using a small amount of BFI on the ZD9.)

Not noticed any uniformity issues - but I have not watched any football on it yet. Will have to see if I have any old recordings on SkyQ.

Viewing angles are far better than on the ZD9 - a particular weakness of the ZD9 but one that does not bother me too much as I watch it straight on. (We have another TV in the lounge for when we watch things together as a family.)

So overall the AG9 is a bit better than the ZD9 - and much better if you want wider viewing angles.

The ZD9 set feels more robust than the AG9. It is a chunky (probably because of the array back-light) solid feeling set. The AG9 is mostly incredibly thin and I worry about handling it to move it.

At the moment it looks like my ZD9 will be going up for sale soon. It has been a great set and I still enjoy watching it. It shows how far an LCD could be pushed.

Wall mounting the AG9 will be a challenge. The wall mount the ZD9 is in a recess in the wall and cannot be lowered. The ZD9 is already on the lowest position on this wall mount. However, the mounting points on the ZD9 itself are in the middle of the set whereas on the AG9 they are near the bottom. This means that if I swap the two sets around the AG9 will be considerably higher. I need some way of extending the vertical arms on the wall mount. I may have to attach a thin wallmount to the existing wallmount - if that makes any sense....

Ekko Star

Distinguished Member
To be honest I am not sure that I want to know. :)
If you're concerned about messing it up then don't.

As long as you don't start messing with the service menu's then there is little to no risk as all you are doing is reading the diagnostic info.

However, I would say that it is a good thing to know when you buy a refurb because it gives you an indication of the prior use of the set.

Glad you are enjoying it so far

BigTelHols

So my TV arrived yesterday safe and sound. It was in a scruffy looking retail box, with retail packaging and a new unopened remote and unopened stand legs.

TV was on latest firmware, but there was an update available for the remote. Watched Passengers last night on 4K Bluray, looked amazing on the screen. The XF9005 I had was great, the XG9505 just improves on an already great TV. Need to set the TV up properly using the recommended settings then I'm sorted :thumbsup:

milesyboy1

Im still waiting on mine but feel like it could take some time (obviously a lot more important thinks going on in the world right now). Order was confirmed and money taken without the stock actually being present. Gives me something to look forward to when things eventually settle down again.

GadgetObsessed

Im still waiting on mine but feel like it could take some time (obviously a lot more important thinks going on in the world right now). Order was confirmed and money taken without the stock actually being present. Gives me something to look forward to when things eventually settle down again.
Normally a large number of items get added to the refurb site on a Thursday and then some more on a Friday. However I notice that in the past week the stock has just been going down and down. Perhaps the centre where the products are refurbished has closed down.

GadgetObsessed

They have a 65AG8 for £1399

GadgetObsessed

They seem to have upped the prices as this was £1249 last month
Actually, I don't think it was. I was the one that posted the deal saying the 65AG8 was £1249 (at the time i bought the 65AG9 and x700) but I believe I made a mistake and it was the 65AF9 that was £1249.

Fergal82

Distinguished Member
The prices have gone up.

Pretty sure the 55ag8 was £899 when last listed, it’s now £999.

Perhaps they’re graded, I’m not sure

GadgetObsessed

The prices have gone up.

Pretty sure the 55ag8 was £899 when last listed, it’s now £999.

Perhaps they’re graded, I’m not sure
They did have a sale on before so maybe that has now ended. They don't seem to have sales on their refurb stuff very often