Quantcast

Bargain Sony 77AG9 Refurb £3,999 - 65AG9 £1550, 65AG8 £1399, X700 UHD Player £85, etc.

Ekko Star

Distinguished Member
When refurb items come in they only come in one or two at a time. So when an item is a good price it does not last long.
Yes, you do have to be very quick and have your finger on the pulse. I think they are running this current campaign until the end of March.

It was the 65AG8 for £1249. The 65AF9 would never go that low unfortunately.

The website refurb portal is updated weekly for new stock on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturday. After that point you have to wait until the following week. So keep your eyes peeled from Thursdays.

Always worth having a good relationship with a Sony store manager to give you a heads up but in reality once the refurb stock goes live it's first come first served. As you already know they sell out in a very short space of time.

GadgetObsessed

Yes, you do have to be very quick and have your finger on the pulse. I think they are running this current campaign until the end of March.

The website refurb portal is updated weekly for new stock on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturday. After that point you have to wait until the following week. So keep your eyes peeled from Thursdays.

Always worth having a good relationship with a Sony store manager to give you a heads up but in reality once the refurb stock goes live it's first come first served. As you already know they sell out in a very short space of time.
Well if you can simply order before it comes in stock you don't need to be quick at all. :)

I paid one day when they had no stock at all and it was not on the web site.
Then a couple of days later I got an email saying that it had come back in stock and my order was being processed and a day after that a text from Arrow delivery services asking me to pick a delivery date.

Lets see how it all turns out when it arrives on Tuesday.

GadgetObsessed

Why do you think that the AF9 wouldnt go for £1249 when the AG9 was repeatedly sold for £1549?

Ekko Star

Distinguished Member
You can't order anything unless they have it in stock. You can ask a store manager to look out for one though.

The refurb AG9 is already priced lower than the AF9. They don't make the AF9 any longer. Sony have no new stocks, only a few shops have some pieces left and it is better to just get a new one.

There was a good deal on a 75ZF9 for £1249 last week. That was a lot of TV for that price.

GadgetObsessed

You can't order anything unless they have it in stock. You can ask a store manager to look out for one though.

The refurb AG9 is already priced lower than the AF9. They don't make the AF9 any longer. Sony have no new stocks, only a few shops have some pieces left and it is better to just get a new one.

There was a good deal on a 75ZF9 for £1249 last week. That was a lot of TV for that price.
They told me that they had none in stock when I ordered and that I would have to wait some days for one to come in

Ekko Star

Distinguished Member
Strictly speaking they shouldn't have taken an order on expectation of refurb stock coming in. The store would have no idea of what refurb stock was coming in or when and nor the price (as they can also fluctuate).

Good to see to you secured one anyway and hopefully you will be happy.

GadgetObsessed

Strictly speaking they shouldn't have taken an order on expectation of refurb stock coming in. The store would have no idea of what refurb stock was coming in or when and nor the price (as they can also fluctuate).

Good to see to you secured one anyway and hopefully you will be happy.
Thanks.

You seem to know a lot about Sony Centres - have you worked for them or just used them frequently?

I wonder if anyone did buy he 77AG9 for £4k?

GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

I also looked at a Panasonic 65GZ2000 refurb from Panasonic Ebay. They are £2299 usually but a week or so ago thye had 10% off taking them down to £2069. I would have been interested but they only had 12 months guarantee and you could not extend it.

BigTelHols

Just ordered a 65" XG9505 from the Carlisle store with the extra 5 year warranty. Will get it next week, will reply here with its condition when I get it.

GadgetObsessed

Just ordered a 65" XG9505 from the Carlisle store with the extra 5 year warranty. Will get it next week, will reply here with its condition when I get it.
Sony Centre pricing policy for refurb seems very inconsistent. The 65XG9505 is £949 compared to £1500 new. The lower spec 65XG8505 is £1149 refurbished - £50 more than they sell a new one for with 5yr guarantee??

BigTelHols

Sony Centre pricing policy for refurb seems very inconsistent. The 65XG9505 is £949 compared to £1500 new. The lower spec 65XG8505 is £1149 refurbished - £50 more than they sell a new one for with 5yr guarantee??
Yes I noticed that thought it was strange. Got to be a mistake. The other TV's on there I'd looked at had decent reductions on them. 65" XF9005 for £749 vs £1200 elsewhere, even at black Friday the same tv was over £1000.

theherd

Novice Member
Well if you can simply order before it comes in stock you don't need to be quick at all. :)

I paid one day when they had no stock at all and it was not on the web site.
Then a couple of days later I got an email saying that it had come back in stock and my order was being processed and a day after that a text from Arrow delivery services asking me to pick a delivery date.

Lets see how it all turns out when it arrives on Tuesday.
Mate, was wondering how you getting on with the set? Hope it arrived with all the COVID-19 going ons.
What's the 'quality' of the refurb? Any noticeable wear, marks, dents, damage?
Tks

GadgetObsessed

Mate, was wondering how you getting on with the set? Hope it arrived with all the COVID-19 going ons.
What's the 'quality' of the refurb? Any noticeable wear, marks, dents, damage?
Tks
The TV arrived yesterday but I have only just taken it out of the box and am setting it up now.

The TV arrived in a huge "general" 65" TV brown box. Does not look at all used - no marks or scratches and accessories were all wrapped up. (Though they included the standard remote from the AF9. I contacted Sony and they are posting me out the correct metal one.)

With a surround sound system (Sony DN1080), Apple TV, Sky Q, Sony X700 UHD player (also bought as a refurb for £85) XBox One S, Harmony remote, network switch, etc. my setup is a rats nest of cables that I am trying to rearrange.

My aim is to use the dual HDMI outputs on the Sony AVR to run a side by side comparison with the ZD9 next to the AG9.

If all goes to plan my trusty ZD9 will be up for sale soon - plus I now have the ideal box to put it in. :)

GadgetObsessed

@GadgetObsessed what tv did you order? Do you know which branch you dealt with? Glad to hear your happy with your new TV, mine arrives Saturday.
Sony 65AG9. So far I have not watched any TV on it yet - just gone through the set up. Will be trying to test it out tonight.

I contacted David using the chat function on the centresdirect.co.uk web site. He is in Carlisle. TV arrived direct from Sony. I also ordered an X700 UHD player. That arrived a couple of days ago and was boxed and seems in very good condition.

Just gave David my serial number and he has emailed me my 5 year guarantee.

What TV have you gone for?

BigTelHols

@GadgetObsessed I've ordered a 65" XG9505, it's an upgrade from a 55" XF9005. I too spoke to David from the Carlisle store and took out the 5 year extended warranty.

There were a few people in another thread that dealt with another store and got damaged grade "A" TV's delivered. Think it was the 49" XG9005 thread.

GadgetObsessed

@GadgetObsessed I've ordered a 65" XG9505, it's an upgrade from a 55" XF9005. I too spoke to David from the Carlisle store and took out the 5 year extended warranty.

There were a few people in another thread that dealt with another store and got damaged grade "A" TV's delivered. Think it was the 49" XG9005 thread.
I remember now - the lower spec XG was somehow more expensive.

Not sure if the store makes any difference as David said that the stock came direct from Sony and my delivery label doesn't come from Carlisle where I ordered from.

theherd

Novice Member
The TV arrived yesterday but I have only just taken it out of the box and am setting it up now.

The TV arrived in a huge "general" 65" TV brown box. Does not look at all used - no marks or scratches and accessories were all wrapped up. (Though they included the standard remote from the AF9. I contacted Sony and they are posting me out the correct metal one.)

With a surround sound system (Sony DN1080), Apple TV, Sky Q, Sony X700 UHD player (also bought as a refurb for £85) XBox One S, Harmony remote, network switch, etc. my setup is a rats nest of cables that I am trying to rearrange.

My aim is to use the dual HDMI outputs on the Sony AVR to run a side by side comparison with the ZD9 next to the AG9.

If all goes to plan my trusty ZD9 will be up for sale soon - plus I now have the ideal box to put it in. :)
Good stuff, and thank you for your reply.
I was interested to learn if the product showed any visible damage and that you have confirmed as a firm no, thank you.

I'm looking at either an AG8 or AG9, whichever David gets in stock first.

milesyboy1

Can I ask how long it took from ordering the 65AG9 to it getting delivered? I ordered one on Friday, had the confirmation receipt but nothing further so far. Have had my fingers crossed that neither Sony or the courier has stopped due to the virus. Thanks

Ekko Star

Distinguished Member
Sony 65AG9. So far I have not watched any TV on it yet - just gone through the set up. Will be trying to test it out tonight.
Maybe worth checking the hours and power cycles on the set you've received via service menu

TV in standby, hit the following buttons in this order

"Display (or i+), 5, Volume+, Power"

Go into diagnostics and you should see 3 sets of five figure digits in the lower left corner

Do not mess around with any settings in the service menu and do so at your own risk