1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 777ES / 1070 HELP

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by darrenf, Jun 5, 2002.

Tags:
  1. darrenf

darrenf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am thinking about upgrading my amp and just wanted to know what would be best to go for the 777ES which was £1500 for £600 or the 1070? I know the 777 is older but would the sound quality be better or is it the case that since that was made the 1070 is just as good????? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can actually get a 777ES for £600 bite their fudge*ng hands off (!!!). Most places don't have stock (RS, Link Online) AFAIK. However, there are two 777ES variants; one is venerated, the other not so much. Check out Audioreview for user comments and which is which - incl. one guy who opened his 777ES up and gloried at the audiophile componentry inside (Nichicon Gold resistors, slit foil capacitors etc). It appears that the 777ES (the good one) is pretty much a TA-E9000ES preamp *plus* the TA-N9000ES five-channel power amp in a single case and they were - and still are - a mighty combo.

Haven't written much about the 1070, have I ? Built down to a price and it stinks in comparison to it's forebears (STR-DB930/40). I see plenty of people shifting them after even a few weeks. But at £299 (current RS ad) it's a good buy, just not so hot as other amps for straight stereo. Saw a test where it only managed to push out 35W per channel with all six driven so forget the specs on paper. The 777ES is only worth double the money if you prize musicality and build quality over features.

Anyway, after all that, I bet you can't get one anywhere for £600 can you ? OTOH, if you do find somewhere let me know ;)

EDIT: Popped over to Audioreview to refreshify my memorization and maybe the two 777ES's aren't that different after all, just the omission of a tuner on one (?). The lopsided veneration just reflecting US ownership, IFKWIM. Read the relevant review page, all 200 listings (!).

Hope that helps,
    Mike.

3. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you want up to date features and quality, audition the sony str-va555es its built like the 777 and uses some of the bits (good ones) it's available for around £700.00 and has the advantage of prologic 2 ex es etc. disregard the specs on the sony w/site and its literature for this receiver- a few of them are wrong, weight should read 20kgs. and power consumption is 390 watts.

4. darrenf

darrenf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Many Thanks for getting back to me on this.
    Is it the case now that the new 555 would be as good(Sound Quality) as this is a much newer model with also the various 6.1 options and DPL11? Likewise how do you think the Denon 3802 would compare to the 777ES?

5. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you need to listen for yourself, iauditioned the va555es along with the 3802, i found the sound of the denon was too rounded off and lacked the detail of the sony in stereo. the sony is also of better build quality and all terminals are gold plated, it has more flexible bass management-you can adjust all the speakers' crossovers from 40 to 200hz in 10 hz. increments , the denon has no front a/v inputs if you need them, the sonys remote is great,the denon is a good reciever but the sonys a much better buy around £730.00 imo.

6. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Where did you the STR-VA555ES for £730?

Cheers

7. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i got mine from sound and vision but i'm not far from them so had no delivery charge, picked it up myself £730.00. robert whyte have it for £720.00 plus £12.00 del. most other places i/ve seen, it's £900.00 sonys price is £1000.00.

8. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25