Sony 7700 and RCE

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by russraff, May 20, 2002.

1. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Hi there,

I have just bought a 7700 DVD player second hand. When I demoed the player in the fellows house, I played The One and Return on the Red Dragon (both RCE discs) and all was fine. When I got back home, I discovered that the player won't play Final Fantasy or Charlies Angels (not that I'm bothered about this one:) ).
    So the question is: has anyone got some workarounds for this player/discs, or upgraded a previously incompatible multiregion mod to a newer one? The region select is an automatic one.

I really like the player, so I would rather keep it if possible.

Thanks in advance - Russell

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony 7700 can play RCE if it has the right mod.

It's not so much the players that get round RCE, it is the modification.

The mod for my sony is automatic and manual selection. However, by putting the player into R1 manually and then making it auto, the player thinks it is a R1 player with auto selection for other regions. This will do RCE.

If you have manual selection, try that and don't rely on the automatic. If you don't have it, then you could try getting a new mod for the player as it is a very very good dvd player.

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Thats what I thought; it is certainly better than my old Yamaha 510!
    The mod I have is only automatic. It has a note on the back saying "Security device installed" presumably by the mod people (now out of business). I am thinking of getting the Paragon upgrade from Link Online. I have had bad reports from Techtronics, so I shan't use them. Are there any other mod companies that anyone have used?

Russell

4. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I assume youve tried the disc swap method - i.e. play a non RCE disc of the region you want and then stop it. Now swap over to the RCE disc (now that it is in the right region) and see if it plays...

Otherwise, I would go for the paragon upgrade from Link and try to get a manual/auto mod....

HTH :)

JJ