Sony 730=Sony930=HK25 ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AndrewB, Jan 14, 2004.

1. AndrewB

AndrewB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello helpful people

I will need a cheap multiregion DVD player which outputs PAL and NTSC progressive scan through component to feed the Z2 projector that I intend to buy soon.

I don't care AT ALL about its CD or SACD or DVD replay capabilities because I already have a £5k+ CD player which I don't intend to ditch.

But I DO care about its picture quality AND its sound quality on digital output for DTS/Dolby Digital/DTS Neo 6:1 through my Denon 3801 AV amp.

I've read the forums here pretty thoroughly and narrowed my thinking down to the 3 machines mentioned in the subject line. From what people have written, it seems that the HK25 and the Sony 930 are pretty much the same in terms of picture quality and movie sound quality (digital output). But I have also read that the Sony 730 provides the same picture quality (and sound quality?) as the 930.

So I'm thinking that I might as well get the 730 since it is over £100 cheaper than the 930 and the HK25 and will give me the same picture quality.

Is this really right? And is the digital output movie sound quality also the same across all 3 players?

Thanks

Andrew

2. AndrewB

AndrewB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Obviously everyone thinks that multichannel sound output quality is essentially of much the same quality regardless of which DVD player you're using, provided you're just using the digital output.

It makes a nonsense of spending thousands on a high-end DVD player unless you want the irrelevant (to AV) features such as DVD-Audio/SACD or CD playback.

Is this really correct? Are all but the worst DVD players equally good at being "transports"?

Andrew

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I suspect most people use SPD/IF out of their player into the receiver. Your comment about high-end DVD players is also my view, it seems impossible to get a DVD player capable of superb PQ without it being weighed-down with extraneous features like SACD, DVD-A with the inherent expense for high-quality DACs involved.

Cheap players IMO will never produce 'great' audio because the cost of a decent set of DACs is way more than the entire price of a 730, 930 or even an HK25.

I have a Z2 and bought a 730 for progressive output .. don't like it much, the gamma's badly off and the PQ is not up to that provided by a DVI-attached player like the Momitsu I have .. or an HCPC.

Given I have a Denon 3803 receiver I never even consider using audio out of a player or my PC. :)

4. snocrash

snocrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think you're being a little unfair. In every test I've put the 730 under it has performed well above average. It's signal output is very close to reference level using a calibration source. The MPEG decoder is void of any visible chroma bug. True, it's not right to compare it to another DVI source, but compared to any other component source, including HTPC I feel the 730 produces an admirable show for it's price.

5. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you look carefully you will find many brands still do hardcore DVD-Video only machines if you are willing to stump up the cash.
    Roksan, MYryad....
    These are the machines you are looking for but maybe not the price.
    If cheap is the important factor the Yamaha DVDS540
    is your best bet. Less gubbins, low price.

6. AndrewB

AndrewB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, but are they actually any better for DD/DTS sound or for picture quality through a prog scan output? And they are compromises to some extent in that they also play CDs...

I heard and saw the Denon A11 at the weekend, running through the A1 amp in a dedicated demo room into a Panasonic plasma. The sound quality was nothing special. Pictures were smooth but not exceptional - perhaps the set-up and calibration were to blame. The speakers were KEFs all round and sounded OK - in fact I bought the Q9c centre speaker since it has a good balance for my Naim front speakers.

I think I'm going to buy the 730 or wait until someone introduces a reasonable cost DVI player that won't break if you look at it wrongly.

Andrew