Sony 725D. Has anybody had any luck viewing CD-R VCD's on this machine?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GETanner, Mar 19, 2002.

1. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Hi all,

I know the Sony 725D is not suppossed to be able to read CD-R's and indeed mine fails to recognise a VCD burnt onto a standard CD-R but has anybody had any success in get it it read CD-R's?

My question was prompted by comments I overheard regarding the "Black" CD-R's. The common view held was that these are best suited for Video.

I do not have aready source of such discs so I was wondering if anybody has tried these "Black" CD-R's in their 725D player and had any success? I understand that these have a different reflective property to silver/light blue CD-R's and wondered if this could help the laser in the 725D read the information.

My knowledge of laser wavelengths and CD-R reflective properties can be written on the back of a postage stamp so please excuse me if the question has an obvious answer.

Regards,

Guy

2. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey GETanner

Not had any experience with the machine, but a quick check on a very useful site vcdhelp reveals that your player should be ok with CDRW. This could be an alternative. You can source CDRW pretty cheap nowadays.

Cheers

Laurel

3. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    People have reported success using 'Princo' brand CDRs on players not normally capable of reading CDR. Alternatively copy the CDRs to a CDRW - these do work on the 725.

Gav

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,499
    i have the mentioned player, and got princo cd-r vcd's to work....mind you, its a waste of a £500 player if you use it for VCD's!!

As the quality to so bad, you find yourself turning it off after 10 mins!!

5. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Never thought of trying CD-RW's, will give it a try.

Thanks for the tip.

Guy

6. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Thanks for the link Laurel and the tip regarding Cd-RW's. I have a few kicking around and will try them out today.

Regards,

Guy

7. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Oh the player does get a healthy run out with DVD's but my better half is complaining of back ache while watching the US editions of Buffy on the PC.

She complains that I've wasted £500 quid on a player that CAN'T play VCD's while her brother has a 90 quid player that does.

Anyway, I will first try out the CD-RW tip from the other replies, and if there is no success there will try to source some princo cd-r's.

Regards,

Guy

8. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    To all that replied.

A very big thank you.

The player indeed does work with the CD-RW's I've encoded so that's a few more brownie points I can put towards the REL Storm I want, but as yet have not managed to convince she who must be obeyed that we really do need one.

And it's not the sort of the thing I can hide very well.

Thanks again,

Guy

9. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Put a cloth on it and it's a coffee table. ;)

Or tell her it's a power supply to be able to play the VCD's.

:D

Laurel

10. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Good idea but she will USE it as a coffee table. Split drinks, flower pots (came home one day and found spider plants drapped over the front of my 604's) and other such crap.

I wish I thought of that one earlier. She's already experienced US Buffy on the TV now. I could say the player has developed a power fault but it seems women (or maybe it's just my woman) do have an acute awareness of all things electrical when you try and pull a fast one.

May grow a backbone one weekend and just buy the sub and suffer months of "shopping trips" to make it equal :confused:

Fairer sex?, I don't think so. ;)

Guy

11. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seven years ago, knowing that such a thing would never be agreed, I went out and bought a 29" Sony Tv on impulse. My wife is one of those (as most are) who wants a portable tv in the corner etc...

Let me tell you, I have not been allowed to forget it ever since. Still got the Tv though and it's cool.

S