1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 725D analogue over digital

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dave P, Jun 19, 2001.

1. Dave P

Dave P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a Sony 725D DVD player.
    I'm obviously using the digital coax to connect to my amp, a Sony 930, so I can listen to the DD and DTS soundtracks on DVDs.
    The confusion comes when listening to CDs.
    As I understand it from reading the specs on both the player and the amp they both only have 48mhz DACs on them. Also CD tracks are sampled and cut to disk at 48mhz.
    What is the difference, if any, of using coax digital over analogue for listening to CDs.
    If I use digital, the signal stays digital to the amp DAC where it gets converted at 48mhz and split into stereo.
    If I use analogue, the DVD player DAC converts the signal at 48mhz and splits it to stereo.
    In reality, the analogue sounds slightly more natural, the digital more punchy, when listening to my rock collections.
    Which, in theory, offers the better, or are they as I suspct in this scenario the same?

Cheers.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You are right to say the scenario is the same (BTW: CDs are sampled at 16bit/44kHz and not 48MHz), either the player or the AV amp/receiver will do conversion.

However it is said that the DAC (Digital-Analog Converter) in DVD players are usually of lower quality than those in the AV amp/receiver, therefore most people prefer the digital connection via coax or optical cable and let the AV amp/receiver do the number crunching.
    This is definetely an advantage on more expensive systems where the DVD player would then merely function as a transport.

Besides, you need less cabling.

But in the end it's as usual a matter of personal preference.

3. Dave P

Dave P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You're absolutely right about the 44Khz bit, I always get the bit around me neck!

Thanks for your reply.