1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 725 (old) still good? worth upgrading?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pragmatic, Jan 18, 2005.

1. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I have a sony 725 (one of the best looking dvd players ever in my option so much so i just bough a matching video :S) and a Philips DVDR 80, and when running it through s-video the picture difference between the two is minimal.(although i will try component tonight as the infocus component - S-Video cable came today)
    Also when it was new it got rave reviews for being as good a CD audio player a DVD player, i was just wondering if it would be worth upgrading to something like the pionner 575 and a similar budget CD player?

Although i think i would have to demo alternatives first as i'm more than happy and have been for 3 years with the DVD player, is a (high-end) budget player as good as my old mid range sony?

Feature wise it doesn't play mp3's, super audio/dvd audio or even super video cd's (and will only read cd-rw's not cd-r) but has the picture/sound quality changed that much? (it has loads of gimicky features and picture quality reduction and dynamic noise trickery, but that doesn't do much in my experiece)

Anyway thanks for any advise.

2. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    I was in a similar position to you as I had the Sony 525 which was pretty much the same as the 725. I mainly upgraded for SACD/DVD-A/MP3/DIVX and DTS (using the onboard decoders), as for performance I don't think there is a gigantic difference, although the Pio is progressive and the sony isn't. Also the Sony is much better built, so you have to weigh the pro's and con's yourself. If you really must have an affordable Universal player then go for the Pioneer 575 but if you only mainly watch DVDs I would stick with the Sony, it's still that good. And the GUI is still the best I've encountered.

3. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +227
    I still use my 725D in my living room, hooked up via RGB Scart to my WS TV. Picture is fab. For this room I dont see much point in upgrading as the picture would wanna be something special for me to consider dumping the Sony. However in the theatre I use a Philips Q50 - progressive scan giving me a much better picture on a large display than the Sony ever could.

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I am going to be running it through my X1 and the progressive chip on the projector is ment to be better than most DVD players (and i would bet the pioneer). So whould there be a difference in interlaced, to be honest i'm not bothered about the new surround audio formats, only DVD video and CD Audio.
    I should really go to sevenoaks and get a decent demo. As anywhere like dixons curreys ect.. i don't think the way they have the systems set up you can tell any differece between any of the players (apart from astetics).
    When i got the Philips i was starting to think that there is no difference at all between dvd players, but maybe they are just on par.

Thanks for the mega quick replies.

Offtopic
    I origional bought the sony because I wanted to use the onboard decoder and some 5.1 pc speakers, but it didn't have dts. Which 'forced' me to buy a yamaha amp and thats how my 'life' in AV started.

5. MaJong

MaJong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own the 725 for some time and tried the 575.

I'd say it was 40% better (?) clearer generally with more solid 'field' made a big difference on my pj, but best on interlaced via component. But prog still good.

I was dubious about drastic chnages in PQ, but did see them and at £110 it's a steal. I'm on my way upwards to Denon's on DVI now....

6. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I have recently replaced my Sony 735 with a Pioneer 868 and IMO in terms of a value for money upgrade, it certainly isn't.

If your Sony 725 is anything like my Sony 735, I'd hang on to it and save your money. The Pioneer 868 is better than the 735, but only just, even when compared on HDMI out of the Pioneer to the interlaced component output of the Sony.

I think that it may well have been a Pioneer 575 that my friend had and tested against my Sony 735 a few months ago. He bought a new DVD player a few days later!

Steve.

7. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    I too have have a sony 725 and my father has a Pioneer 868 and to be honest the difference is so small that you couldnt really tell unless you paused the picture and did a side by comparason. (This is on a 65' rear projection DLP tv, RD65)

I was very surprised at this because the 725 is 5 years old and the Pioneer 868 had recived so many rave reviews. My conclusion was that the £750 needed for the upgrade was not worth it. I am not to bothered about sacd and dvd-a a I just use this set up for films.

With regards to the Sony 525 there is a large difference in quality. If I had the 525 and my cuurent DLP set I would upgrade. I have seen the picture on my set with this player and it is no where near as good as the 757. This probably would not be as noticable on a smaller display.

It looks like the Sony 725 is worth every penny. :)

8. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    This is indeed good news. I paid £200 3 years ago for a ex demo with remote and manual but no packaging, the same shop charges £250 for the ones they still have.

Also they came in so many different finishes, including a gloss white, i think i saw a pink one too although i might have dreamed that :s I have the nice brushed steel one and i still contest its one of the best looking DVD players ever and it's got one of the most monsterously large remotes, which i like :)

Although if anyones intrested in one I believe richer sounds still have some but i think they are all ex repair. Also some sevenoaks hve some, and i would rather buy from them as the warranty you get for second hand and ex-demo goods is better than most shops do new. They are about £50 from both.

9. RobbieTT

RobbieTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I now need some of the funtions of the Pioneer 868 (which they tried to deliver today). I hope I am not let down by its RGB performance compaired to my Sony 725. Not planning to get rid of my 725 either - it's a fantastic player. Something that the latter Sony players failed to live up to.

10. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    The difference between the Sony 525D and the Pioneer 575A is not really noticable using 'RGB scart' I should have pointed out, if there was I would have noticed it straight away when i 'upgraded'. However component (which is what i use now) on the Pio does look better than the Sony on my plasma. The 525 didn't have component outputs unfortunately, another reason why i got the Pio. But yeah I think the general consensus is that the 725 is a very good DVD player in all departments and has aged well and worth keeping.

11. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Hi dean

I have just looked at your dvd collection.... Nice one ;)

12. Brolac

Brolac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in a sort of same boat as you Gaz,my 725 is 5 and a half years old now but it's been playing up for about a year now with glitches and jumping back a few chapters.The last time was tonight watching a brand new rental copy of Colateral.
    Was ok til chapter 19 then jumped back a couple of chapters,this is typical of the problem I have been suffering.I cleaned the laser lens but to no avail.

Is my Sony norked, do I need an upgrade,or should I dump it and just accept the fact I've had 5 years of trouble free playing,and just dump it?

What do you guys reckon?

13. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Ah cheers mate, it's taken awhile to build over the years but worth it! Still not as big as a few users on here but I like to try and just keep all the 'good ones' :cool:

14. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I found that star ship troopers whould jump back, preety much every time at th same point. It was either a dodgy layer change or wrangly encoded disc is my guess and new players are just more tolerant.

If it's not working, then five years use from consumer electronics is good, but try it with othe material as it could be the software to blame.

15. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Some times dicss can jump back to the begining and sometimes there is a lip sync issue. This is resolved by just stopping the player and pushing play again. With regards to the film jumping back to another chapter this only happens when the disc is dirty or scratched. Otherwise it is perfect dvd player. :)

16. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Im in a similar boat too folks, have been seriously thinking of one of the samsungs, the 745 in particular. Has anyone changed from a 725 to a Sammy 745. Ive read the threads and the only thing thats tempting me is the DVI / HDMI connection. I wonder would there be much of a difference between the superb component out of the Sony and that of the 745...I guess there would be when you throw the old scaling into the mix. Ive also found the problem of it jumping back a few chapters now and again, and on occasion the discs make a huge racket when spinning up for the first time.

17. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    I brought a denon 2200 thinking it would better my sony 900v,I found the sony to be better on all counts so ended up keeping the sony and selling the denon.Iam now going to wait till the hd compliant machines come out(enmass) before buying again.Would look at sony again but i wish they could improve on the layer change as its the only thing that seems to let it down.
    Cheers Gonzo.

18. peppo

peppo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After using my Sony 725D to my complete satisfaction for almost three years I replaced it with a new Philips DVD-1010 I found in the bargain basement of an electronics shop here in Rotterdam. Rave reviews can be found for both players easily, but I must say I do prefer the picture and the sound of the Philips.

19. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Welcome to the forum :)

20. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Brolac, you could try going into the Test Menu Mode and running the Auto Adjustment option.

Assuming the 725 menu structure is the same as the 735, from stand-by press "Title" then "Clear" then "Power" all on the remote. This should bring you into the Test Menu Mode on your screen.

If you then select option "1" on the remote, this will take you to Drive Auto Adjustment Menu. I believe that it is better to auto adjust a CD first, followed by a single layer DVD and then a dual layer DVD.

This may stop the chapter jumping and it is worth a try anyway if you are thinking of getting rid of the 725.

Option 4 - Emergency History, will show you how many hours the player has played DVD's and CD's.

Steve.

21. Brolac

Brolac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Steve,and I've now done the tests as you suggested.

Everything was fine til I put DL discs in,every DL single disc prompted the error message "Layer jump to L1" error,which may mean the player is in fact borked cos it can't find the layer transistion point.

Which leads me to ask would a firmware update maybe cure this,cos it's never been touched since august '99?

(or am I just grasping at straws :rolleyes: )

History thing was 2257 hours dvd and 46 hours cd -don't play much sounds
    on it.

22. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The 725 is still a very decent player, bettered in that era by Sony 7700 and Toshiba 9000. Pioneer 717 wasn't too ropey either. If you are after basic DD/ DTS out to processor and RGB / S video (all interlaced) video output I would be no rush to upgrade. The newer players are a bit better but are MUCH cheaper and have many more features, so unless you are after HDMI, IEEE1394, Progressive scan etc, don't be in any rush. A good player then is still a good player now. My main player is almost 5 years old and still is better than anything else I hav seen without 'modding'.