1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 725 & CD-R's

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Paden, Apr 12, 2001.

1. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hello all! Does anyone know of a brand of CD-R that the Sony 725 can read? Cheers!

2. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Try CD-RW discs on this player. CD-RW Discs have a laser wavelength similar to that of DVD. This means that DVD Players that dont play CD-R can usually play CD-RW. I've tried this on a Toshiba 100E and it works, and i have a friend that has the 725 and CD-RW discs work on his just fine.

Hope this help.s

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Princo discs are rumoured to work (I think Staples sell them)

4. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PRINCO discs do not work on a cx850d

5. Berno

Berno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just got some PRINCO Discs from Maplin and they work with my Sony 725 :)

Thanks for the tip guys.

6. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Very good things those Princo discs for 3 main reasons

1)Their Very cheap
    2)Quality of Disc is excellent
    3)Work on most DVD Players

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a brand of cdr called sirrius (at my local comp fair) and they are well known for working in most problem dvd players.

Finding them ain't easy tho' but if i find any on the web i'll post the link

Reagrds

Joony

8. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gareth can you explain why you rate the quality of princo discs as better than others?

9. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well firstly the Older Princo discs made with the Cyanine (Type 8) dye were actually bad quality.

But these discs i have are made with Phthalocyanine (Type 8) dye which is known to be of a higher quality. Phthalocyanine is also the only dye which has a better reflectivity. Thus meaning they work on a lot of DVD Players.

The reason why i rate the Princo discs high quality is because i have done a few tests myself. Leave a CDR in the sun for a long period or in a very humid room. Then read the disc back using a software like CDRWin. Check "Ignore Read Errors" and select read retry to 0.

As the disc is reading, CDrWin will list how many sectors of data is could not read. Low quality discs, i.e unbranded and a few branded (inc Traxdata) will have loads of read errors.

I've tried this with a Traxdata disc (manufactuered by Ritek, the worst quality manfactuerer you can find) and i got over 1000's read errors. Medium quality discs usually have about 200 errors.

These Princo came out with just 10 read errors. Which is pretty damm good. Now if you want the best quality, then buy Kodak discs which always come out with no read errors.

Leaving your discs in a humid or sunny room, basically speeds up the life cycle for the disc by a few years. Kodak Silver Gold discs are said to live upto 100 years of readability. Kodak Gold only are said you live upto 200 years of readability.

I do these tests because i am gonna stock up on CDr's. By July CD-R prices are going to go up by 3x. I've now stocked up on about 100 CD-R. Should last me a few years :)

10. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No CD-R's I have tried work on my Sony 735 but I will try the Princo ones. I need a few anyway so may as well get some of them.

I'll let you know if they work.

Steve