Sony 710

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GadgetObsessed, Apr 27, 2005.

1. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +897
    I’m considering the new Sony 710 DVD recorder. It seems to have everything I want (large 160Gb HDD, progressive scan, DV-in, it is a good quality player with 12 bit DAC) and is within my budget (£400 absolute max). Many of the issues with the previous range of Sony DVD recorders (e.g. poor editing, anything over 2 hours had to be recorded at 4hr quality, etc) seem to have been resolved so overall to me it seems a relatively good buy. I just have a couple of question:

(1) How does the Sony recording picture quality compare with other makes (e.g. the new Panasonics) for the high quality modes i.e. 2 hours per disk or less. I record very few flms so the quality of the longer modes doesn't matter much to me.

(2) Generally, I plan to record a batch of programs from Sky+ to the HD of the DVD recorder overnight. Then I’ll do some very basic editing and dump to DVD. Will I get best PQ by recording in the best quality mode to HDD (e.g. Sony’s HQ+/HQ) and then down converting to SP (2 hours per DVD) when I dub to DVD or should I record in SP on the HD in the first place and then use high speed dub to DVD?

2. Monét

Monét

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The second option is surely better solution 'couse the unit compresses the material only once, not twice ;)

3. Bloomsburybill

Bloomsburybill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tread carefully. The Sony GX210 and HX510 are both affected by a strange fault with the way that they handle RGB, and so far Sony have not come up with a solution. It is not clear whether these affect all machines, but certainly many have been affected. See numerous other threads. The HX710 may turn out to have the same problem (or if they have any sense they may delay the release until this problem is ruled out).

4. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HQ+ to HDD should (or at least did on the previous version) enable variable bit rate encoding to the DVD, this will make it use all the space on the DVD and adjust bit rate for different scenes. I'd have thought this would make a big difference to quality.

5. maddi

maddi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be careful. VBR with the predecessors (HX900 and HX1000) only means variable bit rates - nothing more. With these models you are NOT able to use the whole space of a DVD for a recording. Your are still fixed to predefined recording modes. The SONY VBR just means that simple parts of a picture get less bits than more complex ones when encoded. This doesn't change the overall size of a title.

Many other asian units offer a so called 'flexible recording' mode. This indeed is the ability to use almost every bit of a DVD when dubbing an HDD title to DVD.
    I would carefully read what's written in the manual of the x10 models.

6. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never knew that, quite impressively stupid. Once you've done all the work to support VBR filling the disk is just a real simple extension of that, and gives you the biggest benefit.

7. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I looked at the 710/910 manual.
    It has 8 recording modes (with max duration on a DVD):

HQ (1 hour)
    HSP (1.5 hours)
    SP (2 hours)
    LSP (2.5 hours)
    LP (3 hours)
    EP (4 hours)
    SLP (6 hours)
    SEP (8 hours)

Plus a HQ+ mode (which can't be high speed dubbed to DVD).

There is no mention of any flexible record... though at least there are more manual settings than the 900/1000 had..

Also, the edit functions look much better than the 900/1000. It has a divide function, and playlist editing.

Mark

8. maddi

maddi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

At least the LSP mode definitely is an advantage over the 900/1000. There's no such mode with them. That's why many complain about it. If your recording is 02:05 you have to switch to 3hrs mode using the 900/1000. Can you find out if the x10 use full pal/ntsc resolution in LSP mode?

Maddi

9. maddi

maddi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Filling the whole DVD should be possible even without VBR. Dubbing an HDD title to DVD you know its time length and the left space on the DVD, just before the unit actually starts re-encoding. So, it's easy to calculate the max. average bit rate to dub the title to DVD using the whole space, thus getting the best possible picture quality.
    So many other models don't keep back this rather ordinary but very usefull function.

Maddi

10. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Redsox mark,
    where in the web can I get the manual of 710/910?
    Thanx

11. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I haven't found it on the web.... you can ask them to email you the PDF file.. there was a thread on that recently...

You can use this link to request one, they will send it to you..
    http://www2.sony.co.uk/feedback/feedbackform.asp

If I get a chance I'll try and post it on the web so others can access it.

Mark

12. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thank you, Mark.

Hurrah! Finally a recorder other than Philips which has a 2.5 hr VBR mode. Music to the ears of those of us unwilling to re-encode nor inclined to consult recalibrated tables of Pioneer 'MN' indices versus available DVD space.

Now, if Sony could only get that acknowledged RGB display problem sorted...

13. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    One would expect full D1 resolution at 2.5 hrs, since this was established on the early Philips units at least as far back as the 98x series.

14. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
  15. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx, redsox mark.

16. podgerodge

podgerodge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Redsox Mark
    Thanks for that manual - I am interested in getting the 710 and have a basic question - Sony Ireland tell me this model will not be available in Ireland or the UK until the latter part of the year.. but I see it is available in France . Would the French model (on www.pixmania.com) have the same tuner as the model that the uk manual refers to i.e would it have a VHF tuner capability - some Ireland channels use this frequency. Or would I be taking a big risk in ordering it!
    Thanks a lot

17. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    You should be ok - the manual, while in English, is the manual for the RDR-HX710 (and 510/910), which is the same one Pixmania is selling; it is the current "European" model. Looking at the manual it isn't just Ireland, they support VHF in multiple countries... so I'm pretty sure you'll be OK.

The models which are coming out in the UK later in the year will have a slightly different model number (I think RDR-XD710, RDR-XD910 and RDR-XD1010). These will have a Freeview tuner (at least in the UK).

Mark

18. podgerodge

podgerodge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I had seen the references to VHF, I guess I am just being paranoid! It sounds like I might actually be better purchasing the european model as Sony Ireland tell me the UK model would not have VHF..

Eur599 (about £399?) seems like a great price in Pixmania considering the cheapest I saw it on shop shelves in France last week was Eur699 - and Eur799 in another shop!

Cheers for your help.

19. rogerh

rogerh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm intending to buy the Sony and use it in exactly the same way as Garydhooper. I've had a look through the threads about the RGB problem and I wonder if there are any issues about the output from the SKY+ box itself rather than the Sony?

20. podgerodge

podgerodge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In case anyone is interested, the only model available in Ireland at the moment is the HX510 80 gig version selling at Eur599 which makes Pixmania very attractive indeed selling the 710 160 gig version for the same price - I only realised yesterday that the 510 does not have DV in...