Sony 710 - WSS and Progressive scan problem!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by KrispyKriss, Mar 15, 2006.

1. KrispyKriss

KrispyKriss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony 710 doesn't seem to pass on the WSS (wide screen selection signal) when running progressive over component cables. This means that the 4:3 signals are fat and have to manually select sizing using TV remote.

Help! it's really frustrating .. and I'm resorting to watching in interlaced to avoid the hassle - when it works wonderfully.

Update: this problem occurs all the time, even when just watching TV using the freeview receiver of the 710. There is another separate issue with recording the discs, but this problem with WSS is just playing live signals.

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Hi

This is normal!

On component signals the TV listens out for a Wide screen switching signal embedded in the scan lines. This signal is only available on interlaced pictures so when you switch to progressive the signal isn't present so you have no option but to manually select the aspect on the TV.

If you are mainly watching video sources rather than film DVDs there is little difference to using progressive or interlaced. If you use interlaced your TV does the de-interlacing instead of the DVD recorder or player but the results are likely similar, the TV may even do a better job, and you get wide screen switching.

Of course with progressive sources you will went to set the DVD recorder to progressive for the best results and switch your TV manually to widescreen.

Regards

Phil

3. KrispyKriss

KrispyKriss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for putting my mind at rest.

The Sony 710 is slightly less "colourful" in Progressive. The Sharp LCD does do progressive when seeing interlaced from the 710, but it's not as sharp and contains more noise. I suspect the loss of colour brilliance might by due to the extra lines altering the way the various image processing on the 710 treat the image. The 710 is up-scanning to progressive from a pure digital signal from the DVB, whereas the Sharp is up-scanning from an entire output already uncompressed from DVB. Any thoughts? I'm speculating at a risk of making misinformation, but interested if anyone knows the actual reasons for sure.