Question Sony 65" XH9505 or Panasonic HX940 or ? Help for new TV

guest7789

I'm looking to get a new TV as my current 37" LG LCD TV is about 11 or 12 years old now.

I'll be using the TV to mainly watch films, TV series (currently have Amazon Prime, but will get Netflix shortly), YouTube, a bit of sports and some traditional TV channels (some SD and some HD). In terms of gaming, I haven't owned a console for a number of years (play on PC), but may get one in the future so it's not a hugely important consideration.

I've been doing some research and I'm a bit concerned about OLED due to burn in and so have been looking at some of the LCD TVs.

Initially I was looking at the Samsung Q80T, but the lack of Dolby Vision put me off a bit and now it's more expensive than the others. I've narrowed the choices down to the Panasonic and the Sony. I've not seen many comparisons between them (in fact I don't think I've seen any) so I was wondering whether one is "objectively" better than the other and if so in what ways? I'm also a bit concerned that the Sony doesn't have HDR10+, how much of an issue will that be? Anything else or any other sets I should consider? What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Eotyr

Hi
How are you with the various acronyms used to describe the tech in these TVs? The Sony is a VA FALD set and seems to be the go-to recommendation for LCD value&performance this year, whereas the Panasonic is an edge-lit IPS panel that I think is felt to be relatively poor in those same value&performance stakes.
The usual benefit of IPS over VA is in viewing angles but this recent review Panasonic TX-65HX940B review | What Hi-Fi? seems to suggest that they're not the best. The review then goes on to recommend the Sony XH90 which is a step-down from the XH95.
The 65XH95 has a wide-angle viewing filter anyway. I think most would suggest going for the Sony over the Panasonic. 37 to 65 is a massive jump!

faidtoblack

I am in a similar boat (looking for an LED rather than OLED). The Sony seems the only option and it is far superior to the Panasonic. I am a massive fan of Panasonic TV's but in this case it is a non contest. Someone with far more knowledge than me will come along and explain in more detail but I wouldn't be put off at all by the fact that the Sony doesn't have HDR 10+ as it will still make very good use of HDR on amazon. The only real negative I can see with the Sony is the blooming around certain objects (such as around subtitles on dark backgrounds and in the top and bottom black bars when watching movies) especially when viewing in a dark room. The reality is that even if you buy the most expensive TV on offer it will not be perfect and there will be compromises. OLED will probably give you the overall 'best' picture, especially for movies, but there are other things to consider with OLED.

The Samsung is not as good as the Sony and is overpriced. There are some things that it does better (less blooming and great smart TV interface) but for the same price as the 65Q80T you can buy an OLED so in my eyes it doesn't make sense to get it. You need to really get the Samsung 90T or 95T to equal or better the Sony but they are not good value for money at all compared to the Sony. If you go for the Sony 65XH9505 then I would possibly get it from JL so that you can price match with other retailers up to 28 days after purchase and definitely go for the XH9505 over the XH9005. It seems that most people are going for 65" these days so the only other negative is that the 65" sets do not seem to be quite as good value as the 55" at the moment.

faidtoblack

As Eotyr says above the Sony is a FALD LED (which means the screen is lit by different zones from behind) whereas the Panasonic is edge lit. If you are considering spending as much as you are then FALD LED or OLED is the only way to go otherwise you are wasting your money.

Last edited:

martin 39

If you watch varied tv and not stuck on news channels or constantly playing the same game there will be no trouble with oled. Iv had mine 2.5 yrs and nothing but a stunning picture. My plasma before that was 10yrs and no burn in. Like i was always told there would be. For the price difference i would get a oled sit back and enjoy

tvdavid

you should look at maybe the Panasonic TX65HZ980B or the cheaper 55 inch oled set or get the Sony XH 95 I have it and its a good TV but the TX65HZ980B would have been nicer but more.

guest7789

Thanks for your responses!

Hi
How are you with the various acronyms used to describe the tech in these TVs? The Sony is a VA FALD set and seems to be the go-to recommendation for LCD value&performance this year, whereas the Panasonic is an edge-lit IPS panel that I think is felt to be relatively poor in those same value&performance stakes.
The usual benefit of IPS over VA is in viewing angles but this recent review Panasonic TX-65HX940B review | What Hi-Fi? seems to suggest that they're not the best. The review then goes on to recommend the Sony XH90 which is a step-down from the XH95.
The 65XH95 has a wide-angle viewing filter anyway. I think most would suggest going for the Sony over the Panasonic. 37 to 65 is a massive jump!

Looks like the Panasonic is definitely out, that whathifi review is pretty damning. And I'm hoping it'll be a nice big jump in size :)

I am in a similar boat (looking for an LED rather than OLED). The Sony seems the only option and it is far superior to the Panasonic. I am a massive fan of Panasonic TV's but in this case it is a non contest. Someone with far more knowledge than me will come along and explain in more detail but I wouldn't be put off at all by the fact that the Sony doesn't have HDR 10+ as it will still make very good use of HDR on amazon. The only real negative I can see with the Sony is the blooming around certain objects (such as around subtitles on dark backgrounds and in the top and bottom black bars when watching movies) especially when viewing in a dark room. The reality is that even if you buy the most expensive TV on offer it will not be perfect and there will be compromises. OLED will probably give you the overall 'best' picture, especially for movies, but there are other things to consider with OLED.

The Samsung is not as good as the Sony and is overpriced. There are some things that it does better (less blooming and great smart TV interface) but for the same price as the 65Q80T you can buy an OLED so in my eyes it doesn't make sense to get it. You need to really get the Samsung 90T or 95T to equal or better the Sony but they are not good value for money at all compared to the Sony. If you go for the Sony 65XH9505 then I would possibly get it from JL so that you can price match with other retailers up to 28 days after purchase and definitely go for the XH9505 over the XH9005. It seems that most people are going for 65" these days so the only other negative is that the 65" sets do not seem to be quite as good value as the 55" at the moment.

I'll definitely be getting it from John Lewis not just because of the warranty, but because I've got a lot of gift vouchers!

Regarding OLED, if I was to get one I would get the LG CX, but that is £1,800 plus £140 for the burn in warranty. It's a bit expensive for something that can be so fragile and requires quite a lot of care and maintenance. I think in the next 5-10 years once mini LED (and maybe micro LED) become mature and affordable technologies, I can upgrade to those.

I had a few more questions which are:

1) How bad is the blooming as I've noticed that has been mentioned a few times
2) I've seen the Sony hasn't gone down further in price than it was in black Friday, do you think it will go down further in the January sales?
3) Could someone let me know why I shouldn't be put off or too concerned about the Sony not having HDR10+?
4) I've heard that Android isn't one of the best operating systems, what are the reasons for that and is it something to be wary about?

Thanks again!

faidtoblack

So, I can give you my layman's answers and then hopefully someone who really knows there stuff will come along and fill in the details.

1) Don't know for sure. I have asked this exact question on a thread I started as I didn't get much response on the owners forum when I asked the question there. HDTV test mentions it on the review and it was something that did annoy me on the older version (XF9005) which I used to own. I am sure it will be something that is quite noticeable but there are compromises on every TV if you go looking for them. I am still probably going to buy this TV even expecting it to be quite noticeable (and it will probably not be much of an issue at all but now you know about it you will probably be like me and look for it and it will be there). If you buy it from JL and if I think it is really an issue then return it within 14 days.

2) Again, know one really knows. If you buy it from JL then you have 28 days to retrospectively price match so that is another massive reason to buy from them. You probably are aware of this but you could find the best price today, get JL to price match that price , and then if it drops again somewhere else within 28 days JL will refund the difference (as long as the place selling it meets their PM criteria). I expect what will happen is that the prices of TV's will stay the same for a couple of weeks now and then will go back up again at the end of January before dropping in the spring/summer (although with COVID I wouldn't be surprised if TV's sell out early this year and maybe we don't get the sort of deals we normally get in spring/summer).

3) There are some threads that explain this properly but basically it is more important to have a TV that implements HDR really well than supports all the different flavors; if you watch an amazon show that has HDR 10+ it will still implement HDR using the standard HDR 10 layer and look very good even if it doesn't have HDR 10+. Likewise if you have a TV that doesn't have DV it will still look great as long as the TV is of good enough quality to implement HDR properly (for example the Panasonic OLED's from a year or so ago did not support DV but were still ((arguably)) the best at implementing HDR).

4) On my old Sony XF9005 android was a bit sluggish and there were a few apps that it did not have (apple TV and Now TV). I am pretty sure that the version of Android is improved on the newer Sony TV's and some people say that they prefer Android anyway, plus I think it has apple TV now if that is important. I am also not sure which brands support which apps so there will be some missing from different brands I think. If it is a massive issue you can always get a Roku or equivalent but I don't think you need to worry about the OS to be honest.

From what you have said in your posts it sounds to me like you should try and save a bit more/wait for the price to drop and get an OLED. Having owned an older version of the Sony and last years Panasonic OLED they are both great but the OLED's are class and if you can afford to spend £1300 then you are not that far away (money wise) from a 65" OLED. Costco have the 65BX for about £1500 at the moment but I have got to be honest as I have not been looking for an OLED I can't really comment on how good each model is this year. It does seem that a lot of people are mentioning the Sony A8 as being a very good set this year but I am only going off what people have said on different threads on here. It looks to me that the real deals are on the 55" OLED's this year as everyone seems to be drawn towards 65". There are some great deals on those at the moment in my opinion. Another thing to remember is that no matter whether you spend 3k on the most expensive tv there is always going to be quirks/compromises to each one but ultimately they are all going to be amazing.

Dodgexander

Some great advice already. Not sure I can add much more. Focus on getting the TV with the best HDR performance you can afford, in LCD TVs the stand out right now is the Sony XH9505 or Hisense U8Q. The Samsung models are overpriced - you need the more expensive Q90T to match those.

Since you have some mixed usage too (older content, plus newer) then you're probably going to get the biggest gains in picture quality moving to an OLED. Before choosing between OLED and LCD TV though, read up on which suits you best:

There's nothing you've said that really points you being susceptible to burn in with your usage, but you should read up and understand how it happens and draw your own conclusions: OLED Burn In Risk

Consider also you can buy an OLED from John Lewis and pay for insurance that covers burn in on top.

Once you have that out the way decision making is easier. Panasonic don't make great LCD TVs any more, but their OLEDs like the HZ980 are smashing. I own the last good LCD TV they made in 2016. Their models since are lower spec and are unsuitable for HDR use due to low peak brightness and poor local dimming.

guest7789

Back to the old conundrum of LED vs OLED. As well as the potentially burn in issues, I did ask the missus who took a look at the price of the LG CX around black Friday when she said no, so I couldn't really get one even if I wanted.

The biggest concern for me now is potential blooming on the Sony, I'll ask in the owners thread to see what people think about it. Otherwise it's mainly going to be a case of whether it's better to get it now or wait until the January sales!

vickster

Distinguished Member
Back to the old conundrum of LED vs OLED. As well as the potentially burn in issues, I did ask the missus who took a look at the price of the LG CX around black Friday when she said no, so I couldn't really get one even if I wanted.

The biggest concern for me now is potential blooming on the Sony, I'll ask in the owners thread to see what people think about it. Otherwise it's mainly going to be a case of whether it's better to get it now or wait until the January sales!
The January sales are already on (in the U.K.)

Dodgexander

I think blooming is always going to be there to some degree, you can't escape the fact there's strips of LEDs limited by zone behind each LCD TV. The more zones and the better the local dimming algorithm the better...but also the more costly it is.

Sony experimented in the past with a lot of zones, and with a lot of cost, but it doesn't make financial sense compared to OLED TVs. The XH9505 is a cracking TV, high end, most people are more than happy with it, but its not perfect.

Are you worrying about blooming because you will use the TV in the dark or dim lighting? Most people use their TV with lights on and blooming is basically a non-issue in those conditions.

guest7789

We'll mainly have the blinds down but light still tends to seep through. I've been reading about it more and I think that although there is blooming it's not as bad as I saw in some of the videos due to the camera exagerating the blooming a bit.

I'm actually more worried now about calibration as I saw a review o the Sony saying the out of the box experience wasn't great but that after calibration it becomes really good. Any advice you can give about this? Is there a way to get a good quality picture without professional calibration?

Thanks

Dodgexander

We'll mainly have the blinds down but light still tends to seep through. I've been reading about it more and I think that although there is blooming it's not as bad as I saw in some of the videos due to the camera exagerating the blooming a bit.

I'm actually more worried now about calibration as I saw a review o the Sony saying the out of the box experience wasn't great but that after calibration it becomes really good. Any advice you can give about this? Is there a way to get a good quality picture without professional calibration?

Thanks
Read the out of the box measurements section of the review here on AVF by Phil:

It has good accuracy out of the box, just have to make sure you aren't using one of the normal inaccurate presets like standard or sport.

guest7789

Thank you all for your help. I was going to buy the xh9505 but it's been out of stock at John Lewis until today but I've seen Sony announce some new TVs with a new processing chip in the meantime. I was wondering whether you think that there will be a better cost to performance TV like the xh9505 from Sony and whether it would be a good idea to wait for this year's TVs instead?

faidtoblack

I have been thinking a similar thing and this is my conclusion. If you are happy to wait until BF or even a year then you will see some decent deals on the new sets. Sure the new versions may be a bit 'better' but the days of perfect FALD sets with hundreds of zones is over so they will not be 'perfect' and no TV ever will be. The 65XH9505 was (I am guessing) probably around 2k when it came out. The price will have dropped but between now and Spring/Summer is likely to be best value time to buy. If you have a tight budget and want to maximize it (like most people I imagine) then the next few months is (normally) the best time to buy. I say normally because for obvious reasons this year could be a bit different, although already the 65xh9505 seems decent value to me. What is your budget?

guest7789

The budget is around what the xh9505 is at the moment (£1,300) but could stretch a little more for the right set. I suppose what I'm really wondering is whether this new chip and whatever other new features the new TVs have are a big enough upgrade to wait for them to drop in price. My current TV is over 10 years old, so waiting a good few more months isn't too bad. However if the difference between 2021 and 2020 TV's aren't that big, then I will just get the xh9505. Any thoughts on this part?

Dodgexander

I wouldn't worry about the picture processing chip, I don't think there are notable improvements on their current high end chip compared to ones a few years old, let alone year to year.

It would be more about whether you want to wait for HDMI 2.1 or not. Also beware that a new TV isn't always an upgrade, there's no saying the XJ lineup will be an improvement over XH in picture quality.

guest7789

hdmi 2.1 isn't that interesting, even if for some reason I did get one of the new consoles at some point, I doubt any games would work on it at the stated 4k 120hz rate. It would be all the other stuff I care about.

It sounds like it's not worth waiting for the new ones.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom