,Sony 65 xg95, or any Oled or 70" 7304 Philips Ambilight

ALEX1962

Novice Member
Reaction score
First things first, Dodge Alexander,
many many thanks for all your amazing knowledge ,help experience,and understanding of how difficult it can be to decide what is best in each home and individual situation. I have never posted before but after 6 months of getting square eyes looking at reviews, looking at HDTV test,etc I have never known a time when 2019 televisions are mostly all still Much higher prices that Black Friday 2019! I thought that was just a gimmick in previous years,yet the Sony I was looking at was £250 cheaper last November than today in John Lewis! Unbelievable, I think sometimes our old house with a 5×4 front living room,bay window,high ceilings would look great with an OLED, then 30 secs later I think but there is no warranty available on any Oled for screenburn at the moment. Tell me I am wrong rulling out an OLED.
As for the Philips or any flaming Philips! Why is it impossible to see one in any high street store,? I thought sure JL in Aberdeen would have one on display I know the Sony is a long way ahead but it is double the price? Ambilight seems fantastic for less eye strain etc, yet I have to purchase blind. I live in the Highlands of Scotland,I don't live in central Scotland with RS in both cities. I am left with Currys! Yes you all know, No Philips Ambilight on display in there either. ! I would appreciate a bit of help, maybe I need to consider the bay window more, what type of screen is best for less glare , I know that VA is better, thanks to DA again, , I am really hoping that you all can help me decide and be ready for Black Friday part 2 ! Lol, AV FORUMS ARE CLASS

Glad I have helped you, and thanks for the kind words!

TV pricing does fluctuate quite a bit. Sometimes you can have a good price one week, the next not so much. Probably if you followed the price changes for the same TV come black friday you will notice it bounced all over the place and will likely, stock permitting drop to the same amount or lower than Black Friday given time. It depends on the model too, some are only sold in one place, so they have no competition to drop prices.

The first thing you need to ascertain is how bad your glare is, and how important it is to have a TV that can cope with it. Most TVs now (even OLEDs) can get a lot brighter than LCD TVs could, and a lot lot more brighter than Plasma TVs could, so in most bright rooms even the dimmest of LCD TVs do okay.

If however your room is really troublesome with glare, very bright and you cannot (or don't want) to have to adjust curtains or blinds then that makes your decision a bit easier.

There is, unfortunately no way to exactly measure glare. One person could say their room has horrible, horrible glare only for it to be only slight, yet another could say their glare isn't so bad only to discover it is bad once they own a TV! It really depends on your own judgement, how your current TV copes in those conditions and how much you can, or care to control lighting.

When choosing a TV too, you should consider what you will use the TV for. Is this TV going to be used for only regular broadcast TV? What about streaming services? Do you plan to use HDR on this TV or is the content you will mainly use not available in HDR yet?
Are you going to pay extra for a Netflix UHD plan, Apple TV, Amazon or an UHD Blu-Ray player to take advantage of a 4k TV and are you going have internet that is fast enough to stream 4k?

Also to consider is how far away you view the TV and whether you view straight on, or at an angle. If you view the TV at an angle, then that will narrow your choices down further.. and if you plan on using high quality content with the TV you should consider viewing closer to a larger model. If however you plan on using the TV for not-so-high quality stuff like broadcast TV, you should consider a smaller TV, and viewing farther away.

Also to consider is your budget. How much do you want to spend on a TV?

Philips availability generally is pretty poor compared to other brands and the LCD TV you have in the title from Philips seems to be a Costco only model. Their OLEDs aren't as popular as LG, Sony or Panasonic but that doesn't mean they aren't good TVs.

Anyway if you can give some more detail regarding the questions and points I made I (or anyone else for that matter) should be able to help point you in the right direction. Generally the recommendations we make to people aren't too different to the best buy guide here: My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition which you may have browsed already. So chances are once we figure out which TV is best for you, it's probably one already listed as a best buy in the guide.

Thank you for that very detailed response Dodgexander,
On reflection I didn't give you nothing like enough info, sorry! I am currently in Aberdeen on a Medical trial for HD, one of only 800 people in the world! Spine injection every two months for two years, my next one is tomorrow morning,! Forgive me for waiting until I get back home tomorrow night to make a much more detailed, thought out response! Now I need to get to sleep!

Thank you for that very detailed response Dodgexander,
On reflection I didn't give you nothing like enough info, sorry! I am currently in Aberdeen on a Medical trial for HD, one of only 800 people in the world! Spine injection every two months for two years, my next one is tomorrow morning,! Forgive me for waiting until I get back home tomorrow night to make a much more detailed, thought out response! Now I need to get to sleep!
No problem and I hope you feel better tomorrow. Get some good rest!

Home now Dodgexander!
I will try and respond sensibly! Lol.
We currently have a 8 yr old 46inch Pana plasma, never missed a beat but feel that we want to enjoy our TV viewing a bit more. I do know based on what you are saying that 1080p is still as good as many leds at the moment. We sit around 2.5 metres away, I have literally just measured the distance.
Our kids have all left home, grandkids now. So in all honesty we should go for a VA panel based on viewing angles, but unsure about the bay window effect! Maybe that says the opposite. Difficult decision. As for money spent, I can't see us going past £1400 or £1200 if the Sony xg drops to that again soon. I am confused. ! Is the xf 005 at £900 just as good? Oled ? I don't game. Sometimes I think that the Philips 65 oled 854? £1800 in Costco seems a brilliant buy, but again no reviews or feedback that I can see. I did notice b9 LG tonight for £1500! That is my thoughts, spend 1200 on that Sony xg, but surely spend 300 more tonight would be a better long term option.? Oh no! The dreaded screen burn possibilities is not a good thought.
We will get a 4 k blue ray. We will get Netflix uhd. As well. We just got rid of sky recently after many years.
We can't justify the costs involved anymore.
Is there anything else?! Lol
Really tired again tonight,a very hard day at Aberdeen Genetic Clinic. Cheers DA. Much appreciate your help here for myself.

Ps! I knew there was something else!
We have good broadband at last! So we can use it for streaming ( we are now already)

Realistically the Sony XF9005 is going to be more than you need but that doesn't mean it's not worth the extra buying an OLED.

The Sony XG9505 is a tad overpriced at 65 compared to the XF9005. At 55" their pricing is more similar.

If you step up to an OLED like the B9/C9 or Philips OLED754/854 you'll get a lot better overall picture quality and the B9/C9 in particular is most future proof with HDMI 2.1 ports. With an OLED you'll find anti glare isn't quite as good as higher end LCD TVs, but it shouldn't be far off the Sony XF9005.

If you appreciated what your Plasma offered over LCD TVs at the time, you will appreciate more now what an OLED has over LCD TVs.

Have a think about the pros and cons of OLED tech and see if it seems like its worth the extra for you.

Kudos for undergoing the trial! I hope it helps you, and hopefully others too in the future.

Many thanks Dodgexander , I will check both your threads later .
Plus I really appreciate your positive response about my HD trials.
I did a fantastic awareness television 5 minutes BBC Scotland news with my Professor in Aberdeen recently. Amazing response.
Someone even put me on YOUTUBE!
Amazing, now my wonderful grandkids can see Granda helping others like me.
" Sandy Patience HUNTINGTON'S"
Really proud, puts picking a new television or anything else in perspective!
I hope you are OK with me putting this response.
I will get back to you with my thoughts in the evening.
Many thanks ,

PS! Another thought,I have looked at loads of Samsung's in Currys.
I agree that they do have really good picture, smart TV , etc but it seems so disappointing that they don't have DV as an option to watch films etc on Netflix.
Maybe I am dismissing maybe 65 70R or higher too soon.
But so many people on Samsung forums say exactly that, they don't even tell you in Curry's, it is only my own knowledge, but maybe they are still a great option.
Looking forward to looking at your threads later, thank you

PS! Another thought,I have looked at loads of Samsung's in Currys.
I agree that they do have really good picture, smart TV , etc but it seems so disappointing that they don't have DV as an option to watch films etc on Netflix.
Maybe I am dismissing maybe 65 70R or higher too soon.
But so many people on Samsung forums say exactly that, they don't even tell you in Curry's, it is only my own knowledge, but maybe they are still a great option.
Looking forward to looking at your threads later, thank you

You still get hdr10 on Netflix with Samsung TVs. I wouldn't worry about hdr format support. You can get TVs for £3-500 with DV, but a Q70 will still display Netflix content better.

I’d wait for the Panasonic oleds to drop in price as these are the best for movies.

Thanks a lot for your reply Zeppelino , food for thought! Unbelievable really .
I used to watch a lot of football but it is far too expensive since years.
I thought the 2019 Panasonic , lg, Sony, Philips Oleds would have dropped a lot more in the past few weeks. Black Friday was still far lower than now on most OLEDS.
Maybe it is worth waiting! Worth going the OLED route for future proof. ( Screen burn definitely worries me, I can't understand why if they all knew how good their tech was it would be in the warranty, but the pictures are fantastic) is the Samsung 80R much on par with the Sony XG95? I will check out DA threads tonight that he attached for me

Re Sony and Samsung lcd sets - Q70=XF9005; Q80=XG95; Q85 and 90 better than all but as expensive as oleds, so only worth it if you want the best hdr but burn in risk is too much. Dodge has a guide re burn in in this section.

I just checked out your great guides to panel types,/ oleds/LCD. Dodgexander. My thoughts at the moment. Is a 65inch TV of any type maximum sensible option at 2.5 metres? I was considering that 70inch Ambilight 7304 at Costco, ( never had a Philips TV before), the Ambilight seems to be fantastic for eye strain. But is that tv much poorer option than say xf9005? Hisence seem to be well thought of by everyone here and I know you have at least two in your TV guide for this year I think that 7304 is a VA panel, would that be the best option for glare, big bay window etc,? Zeppelino, I really appreciate what you said above about the Samsungs, I was wondering how the 70 R can be better for showing HDR on Netflix than some £3500 TV's? Even without DV? I thought if no DV then they could not play the movie etc at the correct setting for maximum effect of DV. However you seem to say that I should definitely consider a Samsung qled if I don't get an Oled. I certainly will. I will research them now . If you both can clarify what I am asking in this comment that would be much appreciated. This is a fantastic website, not just for TVs etc, for everything possible! I appreciate everything you both have recommended for me to do so far.

Many thanks Dodgexander , I will check both your threads later .
Plus I really appreciate your positive response about my HD trials.
I did a fantastic awareness television 5 minutes BBC Scotland news with my Professor in Aberdeen recently. Amazing response.
Someone even put me on YOUTUBE!
Amazing, now my wonderful grandkids can see Granda helping others like me.
" Sandy Patience HUNTINGTON'S"
Really proud, puts picking a new television or anything else in perspective!
I hope you are OK with me putting this response.
I will get back to you with my thoughts in the evening.
Many thanks ,
Wow I read that article just now. Good job man! I really hope the treatment works out and can benefit others. You play an important role in that.

If you like Ambilight why not go for one of the Philips OLEDs? I think it's better to do that than to consider the 70" PUS7304 as its really not in the same category as the other TVs we have been discussing.

If it's mainly eye strain that worries you, you could fit an USB powered LED striplight behind any TV. I use that with my own TV at home. The two USB powered strips plug into the TV to be powered directly. Not as tidy or as colourful as ambilight, but it works.

How important is managing glare to you? If glare is important that is the only time I'd consider a higher end Samsung model like the Q85R or Q90R.

But in all honesty you are probably noticing glare a lot right now because you have a dim plasma. Even an OLED will be an improvement on that.

Thanks a lot Dodgexander for checking out my HD TRIALS awareness TV. My wife put it on the plasma tonight as well. The feedback to myself has been amazing. That is making me feel really good, proud,that other people are getting comfort and hope in that TV report. Fantastic really.
As for the next telly! You are spot on again!
I didn't think about this until you said it." Dim old Panasonic Plasma", that must be making glare so much worse than a new TV. I do like the Philips in Costco, it was on sale for £1800 oled 854 I think.
But you have your own lights! Decisions.
Maybe if we get a TV at £1000, Hisence just say, surely the HDR must be poor compared to the Sonys or similar priced Samsung's? This is the choice.
We still have a Pioneer Kuro in our conservationy since we bought it with wedding money in 2006.
If the warranty covered burn in in Oled, I am pretty certain that Philips from Costco would be in our living room since black Friday last year! Hence my square eyes, sore heads and finally I decided the only hope for me was to do my first ever post on this fantastic website.

Last edited:
I have recently bought Philip's oled 804 and it is fantastic coming from lg b8 oled ,ambilight is a nice touch but it's the picture quality that I couldn't believe ,the upscaling from virgin hd and motion is a massive difference than the lg b8 oled .

Thanks a lot for your thoughts Gary65, definitely good to hear that your Philips 804 is performing ahead in the picture stakes of your b8 lg oled.
Ambilight seems great but only if the Philips that anyone buys is just as impressive! Well done for doing exactly that and thanks again for telling me

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom