Sony 65" KP-65XBR10W mirror cleaning help?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by torgis, Apr 18, 2007.

1. torgis

torgis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings all,

I've owned this TV for over 3 years now and, from what I hear, the image quality might be greatly improved with a simple bit of mirror cleaning.

Does anyone have experience with this TV in particular or the Sony rear-projection models in general? Will I need to go in the front by removing the screen and front assembly, or is there a rear access panel which would allow access to the needed components?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
    -Aaron

2. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    You should be able to get to it from the rear of the set. i have helped clean the 44" sony and my old 46" philips.

Be careful with the mirror as it is very delicate. It has a thin layer of glass over the silver backing or none at all as glass will distort the picture as it reflects off the mirror.

I just used a duster to remove the layer of dust. I also cleaned the crt guns with a duster and a damp cloth. The picture improvement was instantly visible and I had to reconfigure the set.

I hope this helps and good luck. Please remember to unplug the set from the mains before starting and push the on button to get rid of any charge which may still be in the sets componenets. :)

3. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have the experience of the Sony sets like Razor, but I have cleaned the inside of my old Pioneer SD-T50W1 in the past. Here are a few pieces of advice.

1) Always cover the bits you are NOT cleaning at that moment if they are in the same cavity as the bits you are cleaning. It is amazing how dust transfers.

2) If you don't want to wipe something then a Giottos Rocket Air Blower works wonders. its actually for cameras, but gets stuff off things such as CRTs very well. DO NOT use compressed air cans, the propellant liquid may escape in drops and cause a stain (defeating the object).

3) Obviously from what Razor says, it sounds like modern mirrors are thinner than the thing in my Pioneer. I cleaned that with Mr. Muscle glass cleaner (again, after I had covered the CRT tubes in the bottom) VERY gently. It took a lot of time, a dab at a time, but the lint-free cloth I used showed lots of signs of dirt on it by the time I had finished (I presume the heat from below my Pioneer causes dirt to be attracted to the mirror). It was almost as though the mirror was on 20 B&H a day!

I could notice how much brighter the images appeared and I had to throttle back the contrast and colour a bit. I did not seem to need to adjust brightness (black level) afterwards though (perhaps as a consequence of adjusting the contrast down first).

Just take your time and enjoy the "free" upgrade! :clap: