Sony 60ex703 suddenly (14 mths old) has 2 patches of dead pixels - what now?

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by nictry, Dec 22, 2011.

1. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +649
    Just given the screen a quick dust off with a microfibre cloth and shocked to discover 2 patches of dead (black) pixels, one around 8 inches in from top/left side other more near centre of screen and I would estimate both around 3 pixels wide/high

I knew I bought it around year ago and lo and behold it is just out of warranty but being as I paid over £2k I am not sure this is acceptable however I can't find anything on Sony's web site on their policy for this, also should I go through Amazon initially or direct to Sony to raise the issue?

Any advice on where I should go with this problem, if I stand a chance of getting anything done or if I will have to suffer it? I a so p*****d as my first Sony always had Panny plasmas and never a single pixel problem in 3 sets over 6 years and now this one has a problem in a year :(

2. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +518
    Don't worry about it being out of warranty. The sale of goods act requires goods to be of "satisfactory quality" at the time of sale and the period during which the seller is responsible for this is 6 years. So if your TV breaks after say 18 months, you can go back to the seller and say it was not of a satisfactory quality and you want something done about it.

A sense of reasonableness applies, i.e. you could not buy a £200 TV and take it back after 5 years 11 months. But for a £2k TV only weeks or months out of warranty, you are on VERY solid ground. A reasonable person would not expect a £2k TV to go caput after just over 1 year.

So go back to the people you bought the TV off (not the manufacturer), explain what's happened and ask them what they are going to do about it. They can choose to replace the TV, repair it, or offer you some money back representing what you paid, minus the reasonable cost of how much use you have had from it. You could argue about the sums, but if you expect a TV to last say 5 years, you could argue you want 80% of your money back if you have only had 1 years use. What is done is up to them, not you by the way, but you do not have to accept (say) a repair unless it's done to a decent standard. Likewise if they offer you a replacement, you can refuse it if the replacement is not up to scratch, e.g. an inferior model for example.

If they refuse to do anything, then contact Trading Standards on 08454 04 05 06 and they will help you.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  3. deanos

deanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    Worth nothing that after 6 months its up to the buyer to prove there is an inherent fault, you you may need to get an independent report done before the retailer will do anything

4. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +518
    It shouldn't come to that. Depending who the seller was, he may or may not have to be quite persistent and insistent, but I'd be surprised if in the end the seller didn't agree to sort it out. The thing is they will know that if they were taken to court about it, they would lose. So as long as he sticks to his guns, they will very likely help out sooner or later. If it's some less reputable online retailer, he might end up having to threaten legal action before they see sense.

5. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +518
    Incidentally, nictry, if the seller totally refuses to help, I would take them to the small claims court. You would certainly win. One of the tests of "satisfactory quality" is that the goods should not break within a "reasonable" amount of time. Any court in the land would agree that it's not reasonable for a premium £2k telly to be trashed after 14 months.

All you have to do is claim the goods were not of satisfactory quality and your "proof" is that it's broken already. Case won.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  6. deanos

deanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    You would still need an independent report done if it goes to court, the judge is not an expert in electronics so would need some sort of proof.

As its from Amazon i have a feeling they will say tough its out of warranty (from other posts i have seen) , wait and see what they say first, but if they don't play ball then the report is the next step, then if they still don't do anything go to court

7. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +518
    Sorry I missed that it was Amazon. I don't think OP will have a problem with them. Just tell them it's not of satisfactory quality and you want something doing about it. And don't accept any "sorry it's out of warranty" fob off.

8. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +649
    Well I am gobsmacked, although I am very pleasantly surprised, I emailed Amazon to explain situation and within an hour I got an email stating they will issue a full refund and arrange collection of the TV!!!!

I am almost expecting them to send another response saying this is a wind up or an error on their part as almost seems to good to be true?

The only concern I have now is how the hell do I get acceptable packaging to return a 60" LCD set and accessories as the box was disposed of just over a month ago (I had kept it for the 12 mths as am always paranoid about things going wrong within the warranty period!!)

9. deanos

deanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    Well done Amazon :)

Go to the garden centre and get the large bubble wrap and loads of brown tape :)

10. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +649
    I might order one of these http://www.cheap-moving-boxes.co.uk/more_info.asp?a=60inch Plasma Tv box with 30m of foam wrap&id=66 as at least I will know it should get back to Amazon in the same condition as it leaves me! They seem to be doing right by me so spending £20 on some decent packaging seems the least I can do

Am still thinking they may change their mind about the refund although I guess now I have an email confirming it would be a bit inappropriate to rescind their decision but who knows

11. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +518
    Result mate.

I told you it wouldn't be a problem. Amazon is a quality company.

Merry Christmas!