Quantcast

Bargain Expired Sony 55XF9005 £824 @richer

WHarbidge

Novice Member
You can expect less price drops on TVs like that Sony since there's so little competition at that size. Sub 55" really isn't as great to shop for anymore, the real bargains are usually found with 55" or 65".
Thanks. Looks like I'll go for the JL deal on that set then!

cypher007

just thought id update. got the set and its so much better than the Q70R.

also it might be possible to get upto £200 off the price as this deal on the Q70R has a voucher code for an extra £75.

Dodgexander

just thought id update. got the set and its so much better than the Q70R.

also it might be possible to get upto £200 off the price as this deal on the Q70R has a voucher code for an extra £75.
Great! I'd be interested to hear your in-depth comparison of the two if you get time. Glad you are happy with the new TV!

MurkyDepths

Novice Member
Finally pulled the trigger tonight on the XF9005 from JL! RS have stopped selling it but I had the price match promise from JL on an email and also realised that i can get another £40 through my works employee portal so this will cost around £660- cant wait for deliver and it is a shame I delayed so long as it wont be here to watch the rugby on Saturday on it.
Thanks for the info and especially the heads up on offer from Zepp.

MurkyDepths

Novice Member
Yes, 55XF9005. When I looked at RS yesterday I couldn’t find it but back now so must a been a glitch or update. it helped focus my mind on actually making a decision!

Skyehammer

Ah well , my new TV has arrived !!!
Thing is , I'm Home Alone so I'm not even going to attempt to get it out of the box until my wife gets back later on this afternoon -
I'm very excited still !!
Thanks , Dodge , you were a brilliant help . 👍
What a great site this is .

Skyehammer

Finally got round to unboxing my new Sony XF9005 this morning - thankfully our son's friend was staying with us so he helped me - from unboxing , screwing the feet on , going through the start-up to seeing a picture through my Sky Q took around 30 minutes I would say - I was nervous and VERY careful so you may be quicker -
Straight out of the box without any sort of adjustment the picture is stunning , blacks are excellent - the sound [ which I've read negative stuff about ] is BRILLIANT which is just as well as my soundbar is back home on Skye .
The experience of ordering from Richer Sounds Glasgow to my telly arriving yesterday could not have been easier but the best experience of all was coming on here - DodgeXander and Zeppelino have to be two of the most knowledgeable people around when it comes to TVs , Dodge has the patience of a Saint , bless him .
Thanks again , Guys , you helped make an old man very happy .

Dodgexander

Finally got round to unboxing my new Sony XF9005 this morning - thankfully our son's friend was staying with us so he helped me - from unboxing , screwing the feet on , going through the start-up to seeing a picture through my Sky Q took around 30 minutes I would say - I was nervous and VERY careful so you may be quicker -
Straight out of the box without any sort of adjustment the picture is stunning , blacks are excellent - the sound [ which I've read negative stuff about ] is BRILLIANT which is just as well as my soundbar is back home on Skye .
The experience of ordering from Richer Sounds Glasgow to my telly arriving yesterday could not have been easier but the best experience of all was coming on here - DodgeXander and Zeppelino have to be two of the most knowledgeable people around when it comes to TVs , Dodge has the patience of a Saint , bless him .
Thanks again , Guys , you helped make an old man very happy .
Great! Glad you are so happy with the TV. Enjoy!

Skyehammer

The £125 off offer was there around 3-4 weeks back for a weekend only then it returned for at least two weeks , it ended yesterday - with Black Friday looming I'm thinking it'll return [ though obviously this is just me guessing here , I have zero experience of buying a TV on Black Friday ] .

cypher007

Great! I'd be interested to hear your in-depth comparison of the two if you get time. Glad you are happy with the new TV!
hello, had the TV a week or two and still love it. Might get some calibration kit to really squeeze the most out of it.

Much better TV. Only weak points, Android is a little laggy but still usable and far more flexible, and the sound is more standard TV than dynamic. As for picture I can live with some blooming all day long in return for actually being able to see what’s happening on screen, the Q70R had way too much black crush. The screen has some slight shading into each corner, compared to the Q70r that had a pink tint about 15mm all the way round the edge. The Sony will play anything I throw at it, compared to the Q70r that wouldn’t play any DTS stuff. Colour is more natural and less poppy. Dolby vision on prime doesn’t seem to have the annoying delay in scene brightness the Q70r had when playing grand tour in hdr10+. If you have bright lights you might find the bottom part of the Sony’s frame needs some tape on it as it reflects.

in short the Q70R seemed like they’d spent the money on the smart app, quantum dots, and sound. Whereas the Sony has better licensed compatibility with Dolby Vision and DTS (maybe HDR10+ via firmware one day), broader smart apps library, better quality panel hardly any DSE, better motion, and a more premium look to the build quality.

Dodgexander

hello, had the TV a week or two and still love it. Might get some calibration kit to really squeeze the most out of it.

Much better TV. Only weak points, Android is a little laggy but still usable and far more flexible, and the sound is more standard TV than dynamic. As for picture I can live with some blooming all day long in return for actually being able to see what’s happening on screen, the Q70R had way too much black crush. The screen has some slight shading into each corner, compared to the Q70r that had a pink tint about 15mm all the way round the edge. The Sony will play anything I throw at it, compared to the Q70r that wouldn’t play any DTS stuff. Colour is more natural and less poppy. Dolby vision on prime doesn’t seem to have the annoying delay in scene brightness the Q70r had when playing grand tour in hdr10+. If you have bright lights you might find the bottom part of the Sony’s frame needs some tape on it as it reflects.

in short the Q70R seemed like they’d spent the money on the smart app, quantum dots, and sound. Whereas the Sony has better licensed compatibility with Dolby Vision and DTS (maybe HDR10+ via firmware one day), broader smart apps library, better quality panel hardly any DSE, better motion, and a more premium look to the build quality.
Seems like you have a trained eye when it comes to picture accuracy. Samsung have been slated the last couple of years for not focusing enough of picture accuracy, especially in HDR mode where they seem to seek out maximum impact rather than accuracy.

The Sony definitely has better picture processing, especially with HDR where it tracks reference levels of brightness better than Samsung. The local dimming on Samsung models is very aggressive compared to Sony that provides great results in measurements, but is more noticeable to some people compared to others. I think that is what you must have been noticing with the delay...and its something I have heard before from Samsung users. On my own Panasonic DX902 I have to set local dimming low sometimes because I notice the changes too much.

Not sure you can ever get around the dark edges or have perfect uniformity in general, even the Samsung Q90R or Sony ZG9 have issues with uniformity...but really glad you are still happy with the TV.

Last edited:

cypher007

Seems like you have a trained eye when it comes to picture accuracy. Samsung have been slated the last couple of years for not focusing enough of picture accuracy, especially in HDR mode where they seem to seek out maximum impact rather than accuracy.

The Sony definitely has better picture processing, especially with HDR where it tracks reference levels of brightness better than Samsung. The local dimming on Samsung models is very aggressive compared to Samsung that provides great results in measurements, but is more noticeable to some people compared to others. I think that is what you must have been noticing with the delay...and its something I have heard before from Samsung users. On my own Panasonic DX902 I have to set local dimming low sometimes because I notice the changes too much.

Not sure you can ever get around the dark edges or have perfect uniformity in general, even the Samsung Q90R or Sony ZG9 have issues with uniformity...but really glad you are still happy with the TV.
thank you for the kind comments. I’ve probably spent to many years in front of monitors and tv’s that is good for ones eyes.

Regarding Samsung. I think they have become trapped by the perception that black levels are the most important thing. Thinking about it tonight you could draw a parallel with washing machines. In recent years the emphasis has been on reducing water usage. Unfortunately some manufacturers in a battle to be king of the “A” rated, have made washers that seem to try and wash clothes without any water. Which is what our zanussi used to do. The same seems true of TV’s. In chasing ever deeper blacks they have lost any shadow detail. I’d rather see the gun against the black background than just a pair of hands holding something.

SydB

Standard Member
Just a headsup for anyone that price-matched through John Lewis and want to claim their £100-£125 e-gift card, although the John Lewis page it up, it routes you to a page that isn't. JL advise there is an issue with this page and it should be up and running in the next 24 hours.

SydB

Standard Member
Looks to be working now - managed to submit my claim.

I hasten to add I haven't been pressing F5 for the past hour.

sneakyweeone

Put my claim in yesterday on my wifes JL account and got the £125 voucher back almost instantly. Will be using this against a new mobile phone hopefully.

WHarbidge

Novice Member
Lucky for some ;)
After 45 minutes and going down four tiers of Customer Service, I was advised there is "up to a 6 day delay on responses for this promotion".
So, we'll see on Saturday I suppose...

sneakyweeone

Lucky for some ;)
After 45 minutes and going down four tiers of Customer Service, I was advised there is "up to a 6 day delay on responses for this promotion".
So, we'll see on Saturday I suppose...
Shame to hear that hope you get it resolved.

Trending threads

Latest News

Dolby Atmos Music comes to Tidal streaming service
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung TVs unexpectedly losing access to BBC iPlayer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins to release updated Formation Home app in 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
SVS launches 2000 Pro Series subwoofers