Sony 55xe70xx owners thread

yes, sorry. should have been more clear. i unzipped and worked a treat.
Ta chaps. Sony sending me out another USB this week, maybe the last one simply didn't have the latest update on it. Time will tell.

The new one worked fine,I see the tv now has a new UI.
However, tonight I got in and the tv had reset itself to factory settings (all settings and av presets had reset to default. It's all working fine now though. Anyone else encountered this?

I noticed that since the latest update the tv now has the option to disable the info banner,unfortunately it doesn't work.

I'm quite happy with the new GUI of firmware v.8.885 although I'm still trying to find the best picture settings for HDR movies. I have a sony BDP-x700 UHD bluray player and I'm wondering if I need to turn on enhanched hdmi mode for watching 24p UHD Bluray disks. Compared to normal 1080p Bluray disks, the colors still look washed out in HDR scene select. Can someone please tell me the best setting for this setup?

I'm quite happy with the new GUI of firmware v.8.885 although I'm still trying to find the best picture settings for HDR movies. I have a sony BDP-x700 UHD bluray player and I'm wondering if I need to turn on enhanched hdmi mode for watching 24p UHD Bluray disks. Compared to normal 1080p Bluray disks, the colors still look washed out in HDR scene select. Can someone please tell me the best setting for this setup?

you need to make sure you setthe scene select to HDR and then into picture and set the picture mode to HDR Vivid.
This will give you a brighter and more colourful setting to play with as it seems a better base than HDR video to start with.
I usually use

Brightness 40
Contrast 95
Black level 50
Colour 60
Hue 0
Colour temperature warm

then the rest of the settings is up to you but I turn most of the image processing settings off.
The above seems to be a good base for HDR setting and most other scene settings but I usually turn down brightness a little to 35 and colour to 50.

The bigger problem I’ve just found out today is that XE70 doesn’t like the PS5’s way of doing HDR for some reason.
Using HDR the image is too dark overall even with the contrast maxed out, brightness up to 50 and black level up to over 70.
At this point I played with the gamma and all this does is add a white haze over the full screen and looks horrendous.
In the end after playing about for over two hours with the settings on the tv and the PS5 I just decided to disable the HDR and run the tv in game mode on the PS5 with no HDR enabled.
It’s a strange one considering the TV and the console are both Sony products but I’m getting a feeling it probably won’t be fixed on the TV side of things as it’s an older tv with limited updates now, and the PS5 probably won’t get an update to fix older tv support, so it’s looking like no HDR with PS5 on my HDR capable TV.

Does anybody use the Netflix app on this set? I have resubscribed and ive noticed that with the tv set up to my soundbar there are obvious issues regarding sound sync BUT only when watching tv shows (alan partridge,the office,too gear) but not when watching movies...i am baffked,any advice?

Hello friends,

Iam using Sony 55X7002G past 8months. I used internet search to calibrate picture settings, but still feel picture with different apps is different eg: amazon prime, hotstar, you tube etc some are bright some are dull

Recently added NetFlix ultra HD subscription, its still worse, picture appears too dim, shady yellow. Iam completely lost

Can anyone help -
1. what is reasonably the best settings for Sony 55inch 4K TV model ?
2. How to set NetFlix picture quality better ?

Thanks in advance

I am not sure about netflix mike but i get drop outs while watching amazon prime through my denon amp(if i listen through the tv speakers it was ok) and when i try to use the mirror option and watch a film via my pc through the tv it is even worse .If i do the same on the samsung upstairs there is no issue , i tried playing with the sound settings but that just made it far worse

Funnily enough, my soundbar won't connect sometimes if the tv is on. Have to turn the TV off and on them it connects. Via any app

Hello friends,

Iam using Sony 55X7002G past 8months. I used internet search to calibrate picture settings, but still feel picture with different apps is different eg: amazon prime, hotstar, you tube etc some are bright some are dull

Recently added NetFlix ultra HD subscription, its still worse, picture appears too dim, shady yellow. Iam completely lost

Can anyone help -
1. what is reasonably the best settings for Sony 55inch 4K TV model ?
2. How to set NetFlix picture quality better ?

Thanks in advance
With Netflix
I am not sure about netflix mike but i get drop outs while watching amazon prime through my denon amp(if i listen through the tv speakers it was ok) and when i try to use the mirror option and watch a film via my pc through the tv it is even worse .If i do the same on the samsung upstairs there is no issue , i tried playing with the sound settings but that just made it far worse
Yeah,ive given up with the apps on this tv (although its a decent tv) they are crap so i just use the apps via my blu ray player.

Can someone with a 43-49" european IPS panel share the advanced color temperature settings regarding the 3 gain and 3 bias options? I've tried the ones from Rtings but they are horrible.

I'm currently using for BLURAY 1080p SDR on HDMI2:

Enhanced HDMI format: off

Picture mode - Cinema1

Brightness - 35
Contrast - 98
Black level - 48
Colour - 53
Hue - 0
Colour temp - Expert1
Sharpness - 50
Reality creation - Auto
Motion flow - off
Film mode - off

Under advanced settings
Adv contrast enhancer - off
Black adjust - off
Gamma -2
Live colour - off

Under advanced color temperature: R-Gain -4

What should i do, lower color to 50 and reset all advanced color temperature settings?
Not really sure what's the best. Picture seems to yellowish/red and if I turn down the R-Gain skin tones become green-ish?

Hi All
I've just updated to firmware 8.902 as 8.8 wasn't available anymore, all went well to start with but now I have two issues.
YouTube, using the app on the TV seems to reset the audio to TV speakers on exit, not the AV Amp previously selected.
BBC Channels lost, despite much retuning all of the BBC Freeview channels aren't found. My STB has them fine so not an aerial issue.
I've opened a case with Sony but wondering if anyone here had any experience or advice on this one.
Thanks

Make a hard reset by holding the up button on your remote while pressing the on/off button on the tv

First time since buying this tv my tv has updated ota.

Yeah, I got an update too. First time I've realised the Home UI is different. Goes to show how unimpressed I was by it when I first got the TV.

On March 13 Sony released firmware v8.905. After each update I usually make a hard reset, seems this version has corrected some random picture freezers over HDMI and overall the GUI is faster. As for the advanced color temperature settings, I've left all at the default now. Wondering how this TV handles 444 from my X700 UHD player, as for ATV4K It's by far the best and sharpest setting.

Bit confused regarding the 4k streaming of euro 2020 on iplayer and this tv,i understand that this tv doesn't support the hlg requirements to stream 4k broadcasts but there are series of certain programs on the tv showing as uhd so is it possible to stream the matches in 4k on this tv?

Bit confused regarding the 4k streaming of euro 2020 on iplayer and this tv,i understand that this tv doesn't support the hlg requirements to stream 4k broadcasts but there are series of certain programs on the tv showing as uhd so is it possible to stream the matches in 4k on this tv?
Yeah I watched last nights match in 4K on iPlayer, looked great.

Come to think of it i remember watching the 2018 wc on this tv. Iirc there is no way of altering the pic when using the iplayer though (?)
Yeah I watched last nights match in 4K on iPlayer, looked great.

Come to think of it i remember watching the 2018 wc on this tv. Iirc there is no way of altering the pic when using the iplayer though (?)
For me I just clicked on the match and it popped up and asked me choose UHD/HD/SD

Got it on now,how come the picture is so dark and theres no way of altering the settings?

Can anyone tell ne if there is a way of altering the picture settings on this tv when using the iplayer,im trying to watch the iplayers uhd euro footage and although the pic is great it's so dull,others have said they can change the settings on their different brand sets but how do you do it on this set,it just seems crazy that you cant.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom