Sony 55xe70xx owners thread

live colour on low can look nice to if you want vibrant colours in hdr, I wouldn’t really go higher than that because it can really oversaturate the colours.

i’ve also got the MU6500 upstairs which can hit 340 nits peak brightness according rtings, this sony does look a brighter though even though some reviews said it can only get to around 370 nits I doubt 30nits would make a big difference but I swear looking at the sony it’s a good bit brighter when it comes to lights and other details.

The new xf7073 has a peak nit brightness of 460 nits according to one review and there normally isn’t a massive leap of nits from older to newer models so im starting to think this tv is more than 370 nits.

Last edited:
live colour on low can look nice to if you want vibrant colours in hdr, I wouldn’t really go higher than that because it can really oversaturate the colours.

i’ve also got the MU6500 upstairs which can get 340 nits peak brightness according rtings, this sony does look a lot brighter though even though some reviews said it can only get to around 370 nits I doubt 30nits would make a big difference but I swear looking at the sony it’s a lot brighter.

The new xf7073 has a peak nit brightness of 460 nits according to one review and there normally isn’t a massive leap of nits from older to newer models so im starting to think this tv is more than 370 nits.
Ok i'll take that, thanks you again mate, i think i'll adjust brightness from the game and made tv standard setting to made colour natural as possible. One more question isn't adv contrast enhancer affect input lag? If it's yes then i'll be better turn it off...

Ok i'll take that, thanks you again mate, i think i'll adjust brightness from the game and made tv standard setting to made colour natural as possible. One more question isn't adv contrast enhancer affect input lag? If it's yes then i'll be better turn it off...

no problem, Yeah any post processing like advanced contrast, black level, live colour ect will cause a bit of input lag, It's not overly bad but you can feel it and will no doubt muck up your aiming in game if you've got it set right.

Are you on xbox or ps?

5BEDB38E-D7F8-4273-8F5A-9F794771F01C.jpeg
C4B6961D-601B-412D-BBA4-3EBC2CFB0B88.png
3BF2AC4A-A544-4999-BC8B-3EFF1E42387C.jpeg
Is there any treky fans on here? star trek discovery on netflix looks cracking in hdr

Hi guys, got another question. My plan is to hang this tv on the wall of my bedroom, now, does anyone know if if I'll need to buy another accessory apart from the traditional VESA mount? I've seen some Sony wall-mount brackets but I have no clue if they are really necessary for the setup, cuz you know, not really that interested in spending more money on a piece of metal lol.

no problem, Yeah any post processing like advanced contrast, black level, live colour ect will cause a bit of input lag, It's not overly bad but you can feel it and will no doubt muck up your aiming in game if you've got it set right.

Are you on xbox or ps?
I'm on ps4 pro... And are you playing game hdr compatible instead hdr mode you use game mode (sdr)? And can we tweaks colour value from 50 to above? What value is that, without oversatured and as close as accurate color Instead use live color which is make input lag? Thank you again mate...

I'm on ps4 pro... And are you playing game hdr compatible instead hdr mode you use game mode (sdr)? And can we tweaks colour value from 50 to above? What value is that, without oversatured and as close as accurate color Instead use live color which is make input lag? Thank you again mate...

I only hdr with compatible games yeah, I dont use that fake hdr mode for normal games it looks horrid! yeah I use game mode for non hdr games, I use expert 1 with that as well as it reduces input lag even further.

I only hdr with compatible games yeah, I dont use that fake hdr mode for normal games it looks horrid! yeah I use game mode for non hdr games, I use expert 1 with that as well as it reduces input lag even further.
One last question mate, is it true reality creation affect input lag? What value you use for?

One last question mate, is it true reality creation affect input lag? What value you use for?

I leave that off mate it does cause input lag, all it does is at extra sharpness which isn’t good, makes the picture look noisy and causes artifacts.

The built in upscaler is all you really need, reality creation just over sharpens the image.

has anyone on here got any testing equipment to measure peak brightness on this tv? I swear this tv has gotten brighter, whether its been through a update or something, its a actually hurting my eyes playing god of war! it never used to do that, the MU6500 seems a lot dimmer compared to the sony as well, been going between the two for the last few days.

C8AB3996-040D-441E-9016-9F06926EEEFD.jpeg
Its hard to capture but you can see how god damn bright that light is!. I’ve always had brightness and contrast at max so im not tripping here lol.

Still pretty happy with this TV, but getting tempted to try a Hisense 55U7A and compare the two.

has anyone on here got any testing equipment to measure peak brightness on this tv? I swear this tv has gotten brighter, whether its been through a update or something, its a actually hurting my eyes playing god of war! it never used to do that, the MU6500 seems a lot dimmer compared to the sony as well, been going between the two for the last few days.
Interesting you say that, mine is incredibly bright. WAY brighter than my W829, hence why I was trying to turn my backlight down as it hurts my eyes.

Still pretty happy with this TV, but getting tempted to try a Hisense 55U7A and compare the two.

I wouldn’t waste the money on it after reading how poor the hdr is on the hisense. The NU6000 samsung series might be worth a buy though since they’re using VA panels. Have to admit the samsung MU6500 has cracking colours just doesn’t get that bright compared to the sony.
D9A6C231-2B8B-4B3A-8740-AF89EF22FCEF.png

Interesting you say that, mine is incredibly bright. WAY brighter than my W829, hence why I was trying to turn my backlight down as it hurts my eyes.

Yeah it does get bright, when the latest patch said it improves the tvs performance I dont know if that means like apps or if they have made the tv brighter? samsung has done that in the past with their tvs via firmware updates adding 60 nit peak brightness.

I wouldn’t waste the money on it after reading how poor the hdr is on the hisense. The NU6000 samsung series might be worth a buy though since they’re using VA panels. Have to admit the samsung MU6500 has cracking colours just doesn’t get that bright compared to the sony.View attachment 1054128

Yeah it does get bright, when the latest patch said it improves the tvs performance I dont know if that means like apps or if they have made the tv brighter? samsung has done that in the past with their tvs via firmware updates adding 60 nit peak brightness.
I haven't seen any 6000 series.
What are they using in the 7 or 8 series.
I've got a Samsung 32" professional monitor on my wall in the bedroom. It's for places like shopping malls, airports etc. It has incredible blacks and extreme viewing angles. I wonder what that uses.

I haven't seen any 6000 series.
What are they using in the 7 or 8 series.
I've got a Samsung 32" professional monitor on my wall in the bedroom. It's for places like shopping malls, airports etc. It has incredible blacks and extreme viewing angles. I wonder what that uses.

They are all VA the 6,7 and 8 series. Im putting some money back for the NU8000 next year when it comes down in price. The NU8000 has really good sdr and hdr brightness. It beats everything in its price point as well. if your wanting a VA sony this year you will have to either go 70+ inch or go for the 900 series which are pricey.

The MU6500 has really good blacks, better than the sony for clouding. you’ll notice that samsung contrast ratios are always over 4000:1 most of the time. so you get a really good deal with samsung tvs. Most of the 6000’s last year had contrast ratios over 5000:1 no doubt it will be the same again this year.

Hmm I too noticed brighter HDR . Only thing that's bothering me about nits is that xf70xx is IPS panel , and ours xe70xx are VA . I would always trade brightness for better contrast and blacks.

I just finished watching BBCs Blue Planet II in 4K HDR , looks stunning :)

I'm starting to think that those xe70xx models are far the best in their price/class range , payed 600 euros for mine KD-55XE7077 :)

They are all VA the 6,7 and 8 series. Im putting some money back for the NU8000 next year when it comes down in price. The NU8000 has really good sdr and hdr brightness. It beats everything in its price point as well. if your wanting a VA sony this year you will have to either go 70+ inch or go for the 900 series which are pricey.

The MU6500 has really good blacks, better than the sony for clouding. you’ll notice that samsung contrast ratios are always over 4000:1 most of the time. so you get a really good deal with samsung tvs. Most of the 6000’s last year had contrast ratios over 5000:1 no doubt it will be the same again this year.
Not all the Samsungs are VA, some are PLS I looked in the service menu in store on some Samsung TV's.
And the difference between 3000ish to 5000 is not a lot in the real world.
I have no clouding at all on this Sony, and I don't have any bleed, no DSE, my W829 was the same but had a little bit of DSE.

I can't really find a real review of the EX70xx with regard to native contrast, my W829 was 5000:1 but this is better than that last TV.

I was tempted by the NU8000 but it was simply too expensive for what it was, will be interesting to see when the price drops.

I can't find a NU6000 series anywhere, I know this years NU70xx = MU60xx and NU80xx = MU70xx

Hmm I too noticed brighter HDR . Only thing that's bothering me about nits is that xf70xx is IPS panel , and ours xe70xx are VA . I would always trade brightness for better contrast and blacks.

I just finished watching BBCs Blue Planet II in 4K HDR , looks stunning :)

I'm starting to think that those xe70xx models are far the best in their price/class range , payed 600 euros for mine KD-55XE7077 :)

good to see someone else has noticed the brightness too, yeah you have to go 70inch upwards on the xf series if you want a VA panel but the xf900 series all have VA regardless of size.

Yeah for sure, the 55 xe70 was a great deal for what I paid, nothing seemed to match it really when I was shopping for a TV.

I’m not far off you, I paid £650 for my 7073. Awh nice, is that on ultra hd disc? I know it was showed on bbc iplayer but I think it has been taken off.

Not all the Samsungs are VA, some are PLS I looked in the service menu in store on some Samsung TV's.
And the difference between 3000ish to 5000 is not a lot in the real world.
I have no clouding at all on this Sony, and I don't have any bleed, no DSE, my W829 was the same but had a little bit of DSE.

I can't really find a real review of the EX70xx with regard to native contrast, my W829 was 5000:1 but this is better than that last TV.

I was tempted by the NU8000 but it was simply too expensive for what it was, will be interesting to see when the price drops.

I can't find a NU6000 series anywhere, I know this years NU70xx = MU60xx and NU80xx = MU70xx

sorry my bad, I swear I saw NU6000 somewhere must have mistaking it for the MU6000. according to displayspecifications all this samsung series is VA. Last year was a mixed bag due to samsung using ADS, IPS and VA all depending on the size and model.

Yeah the NU8000 is a bit pricey im hoping the 55 inch model drops below £800, if the 49inch even drops below £700 i’ll probably snap that up, theres not huge size difference between a 49 and 55inch.

I got the MU6400 first of but it had horrendous bleeding/glow never knew at the time ADS is pretty much an IPS panel, that’s when I got it swaped for the VA MU6500. Displayspecifications.com hasn’t let me down yet for information about what panels are in each tv.

That’s the reason why I went for the 55 7073 because of I seen on there it was VA and it is, its the same with all the new 2018 series I had a look at what was in them this year before reviews emerged. When reviews starting coming out all the information was bang on to what I seen on there. I’ll keep using that site until it proves me wrong.

sorry my bad, I swear I saw NU6000 somewhere must have mistaking it for the MU6000. according to displayspecifications all this samsung series is VA. Last year was a mixed bag due to samsung using ADS, IPS and VA all depending on the size and model.

Yeah the NU8000 is a bit pricey im hoping the 55 inch model drops below £800, if the 49inch even drops below £700 i’ll probably snap that up, theres not huge size difference between a 49 and 55inch.

I got the MU6400 first of but it had horrendous bleeding/glow never knew at the time ADS is pretty much an IPS panel, that’s when I got it swaped for the VA MU6500. Displayspecifications.com hasn’t let me down yet for information about what panels are in each tv.

That’s the reason why I went for the 55 7073 because of I seen on there it was VA and it is, its the same with all the new 2018 series I had a look at what was in them this year before reviews emerged. When reviews starting coming out all the information was bang on to what I seen on there. I’ll keep using that site until it proves me wrong.
The big problem with Static/Native contrast is some TV's like the Samsung Professional 32" screen I have in my bedroom is there is no way to disable some of the backlight trickery, even if you do a white square in the centre of the screen it cheats and bumps the backlight down, so it's native is still dynamic if that makes any sense.

Really we need specs of the panel parts used in these models to find out true contrast ratio. Next time I'm in a shop and see a NU70xx/NU80xx I'll find out from the service menu what panel it has, I'll check a couple of stores in case they do a bait/switch/lottery.

Sorry, I said PLS (That's another one Samsung use like IPS) ADS is the one I meant.

Just some pics of my 55XE7002

On the last picture of the NASA UHD Channel that is not backlight bleed on the bottom left, its the reflection of a white glass coffee table.

I can't see any issues with Clouding/bleed, granted the blacks go looking off axis but straight on it's better than my W829, so really not sure if the quoted Native black is correct for this model or different panels are used. Also its really BRIGHT, far too bright for this room but I'm learning to live with that.

I've also now wall mounted it, I had issues with 3 HDMI cables that were in the wall, I was getting frequent signal not found or white "dots" on 4K content, even though they were High Speed cables they didn't work properly.

I bought some Amazon Basics 3m HDMI High Speed cables, they are far better built than expected and work perfectly, wasn't fun running new cables as you can see I had to pull the whole setup out and start again. Cables everywhere and a general mess!

Now need to wallpaper, excuse the mess on the wall. I've been chasing wires and removing horrible trunking that was here when I moved in.

Attachments

• 20180820_220041.jpg
    20180820_220041.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 20180820_164428.jpg
    20180820_164428.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 20180820_211638.jpg
    20180820_211638.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 20180820_221123.jpg
    20180820_221123.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 20180826_154724.jpg
    20180826_154724.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 55
  • 20180822_201437.jpg
    20180822_201437.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 60
  • 20180826_192408.jpg
    20180826_192408.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
The big problem with Static/Native contrast is some TV's like the Samsung Professional 32" screen I have in my bedroom is there is no way to disable some of the backlight trickery, even if you do a white square in the centre of the screen it cheats and bumps the backlight down, so it's native is still dynamic if that makes any sense.

Really we need specs of the panel parts used in these models to find out true contrast ratio. Next time I'm in a shop and see a NU70xx/NU80xx I'll find out from the service menu what panel it has, I'll check a couple of stores in case they do a bait/switch/lottery.

Sorry, I said PLS (That's another one Samsung use like IPS) ADS is the one I meant.

These guys are good at letting you know the native contrast in tvs. TVs : Reviews - RTINGS.com

Just some pics of my 55XE7002

On the last picture of the NASA UHD Channel that is not backlight bleed on the bottom left, its the reflection of a white glass coffee table.

I can't see any issues with Clouding/bleed, granted the blacks go looking off axis but straight on it's better than my W829, so really not sure if the quoted Native black is correct for this model or different panels are used. Also its really BRIGHT, far too bright for this room but I'm learning to live with that.

I've also now wall mounted it, I had issues with 3 HDMI cables that were in the wall, I was getting frequent signal not found or white "dots" on 4K content, even though they were High Speed cables they didn't work properly.

I bought some Amazon Basics 3m HDMI High Speed cables, they are far better built than expected and work perfectly, wasn't fun running new cables as you can see I had to pull the whole setup out and start again. Cables everywhere and a general mess!

Now need to wallpaper, excuse the mess on the wall. I've been chasing wires and removing horrible trunking that was here when I moved in.

Yeah the blacks on this tv is really good, I do notice some clouding with hdr though when the tv begins to heat up.

Be interesting if someone could test this tv for peak brightness to see if an update has actually added more nits to this tv.

Yes that's oversatured. Can i see your picture setting for game mode and hdr mode mate?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom